IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)

Training for joint stablity

When training with light weights for high reps to strengthen and stabilize joints.
    How do you decide when to 'bump' up the weight?

My muscles can handle the current weight/rep range - but my shoulder itself hurts like the dickens towards the end of each set.

Should I back off on the weight and wait for the shoulder to 'catch-up', stay where I'm at, or suck it up and push forward?

Lifting was so much easier when the muscles were the limitting factor, not the joints.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's a pretty good chance that the light weight for high reps is what's making your shoulder hurt. There's a lot of evidence pointing toward heavy weight and low reps creating more strength in joint connective tissue whereas lighter weight and heavy reps creates a repetitive stress disorder type of injury.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    There's a pretty good chance that the light weight for high reps is what's making your shoulder hurt. There's a lot of evidence pointing toward heavy weight and low reps creating more strength in joint connective tissue whereas lighter weight and heavy reps creates a repetitive stress disorder type of injury.
    Good point.

I'm training for endurance swimming (ultimately), so I thought high-rep/low-weight would be the way to go; I may have to rethink things.

m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm not sure of the cause of your shoulder pain, but with me it is rotator cuff damage. Pressing and swimming are painful at times. I found this helpful article designed to strengthen the RC joint.

go to: t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/cracking_the_rotator_cuff_conundrum

Originally Posted by m9a1mike View Post
    I'm not sure of the cause of your shoulder pain, but with me it is rotator cuff damage. Pressing and swimming are painful at times. I found this helpful article designed to strengthen the RC joint.

go to: t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/cracking_the_rotator_cuff_conundrum
    Stupid filter at work won't let me look. Guess it will have to wait until I'm home.

m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50) m9a1mike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you google "cracking the rotator cuff conundrum" there may be another site that you will be able to get to.