SirIngenious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting on a calorie deficit

Hello guys!

I've educated myself to the point where I can easily lose weight and all, as I went from my former 480 lbs to my current 295 lbs. Really happy about that but now that I've searched all over BB.com and the stickies for answers to my latest question but alas, I couldn't find anything specific or to my liking.

Forgive me if I ask what seems like a stupid question but here it is: on a deficit, you lose weight, simple as that. On a surplus, you gain weight (and gain muscles). If it's highly recommended by almost everyone that you lift while losing weight and thus, resulting in that "toned" or "fit" look when one reaches low enough bodyfat, how is it possible on a deficit where bulking of any sort is impossible?

Highly appreciated and really thankful to anyone who can fill me in on this question.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lifting on a deficit slows the rate at which your body breaks down lean tissue when on a deficit. So it's more about preserving than gaining.

The exception is someone very new to resistance training. You can make small gains even on a deficit because your body is so responsive to the unaccustomed training.

Gotcha.

That's what I pretty much thought: it's all about preserving your muscles on a cut as long as one has consumed enough amount of proteins in addition. So, when I see these formerly obese guys get into a "toned" look after they cut down whilst lifting, it's pretty much because they were new to bodybuilding that their muscles made small gains in addition to their low bodyfat levels defining their muscles, mostly due to the unaccustomed training like you said? That makes sense.

Thanks!

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Lifting on a deficit slows the rate at which your body breaks down lean tissue when on a deficit. So it's more about preserving than gaining.

The exception is someone very new to resistance training. You can make small gains even on a deficit because your body is so responsive to the unaccustomed training.
    Hit it right on the head.

Though, the noob gains can be quite large. Maybe 5-6 pounds in the first couple months.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MCrow View Post
    Hit it right on the head.

Though, the noob gains can be quite large. Maybe 5-6 pounds in the first couple months.
    Can one of you go to the other thread on this? Ppl seem to think lbm can be gained on a cut over there
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

Originally Posted by abendm View Post
    Can one of you go to the other thread on this? Ppl seem to think lbm can be gained on a cut over there
    Indeed. When folks state that one can gain lbm while on a cut, I just grew confused right then and there.

ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000) ShweezyBTFO is just really nice. (+1000)
    there was a military study done showing that even people who dont lift at all and undergo 4-5000 calorie deficits (daily) won't start losing muscle until about 6-8 weeks into such a "cut" and/or reach 5-6%...http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/sta...orry-about-it/