steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ultimate fat hack

So I have been doing VLC paleo for 6 weeks now and have lost a significant amount of weight by cleaning up my diet. Coupled with walking to work and doing crossfit 4-5 times a week I have seen huge improvements in overall fitness and body composition.
    My query is though what is the best exercise to incinerate fat and build lean muscle. I want to get lean and toned and strong. I realise I'll never be fast but I can lift heavy ****. Should I keep just doing crossfit and walking to work? Or should I swap crossfit for strength training? Or should I do a combination of the two?
    What is the ultimate exercise or combination of exercises for weight loss and strength gains?
    My stats are 175pounds and 5'4"
    My goal is 140 pounds in 6 months.
    I eat two eggs and veg at breakfast. Salad for lunch. Stir fry for dinner with protein and veg.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Post is a trainwreck.

'VLC Paleo' - basically two pointless and obsessive diets combined (ketogenic and 'paleo').

Cleaning up your diet - normally this equates to someone eliminating food x from their diet and attributing weight loss to that specific factor, rather than a reduced caloric intake.

Crossfit - what exercise format you choose is up to you, CrossFit has a high proportion of idiotic coaches/centers/clients.

Best exercises - strength training doesn't drive weightloss - the best exercises for strength are heavy compound movements.

Your current diet is absurdly lacking. Your weightloss isn't due to any specific diet (and I'll repeat it here, both paleo and ketogenic diets are pointless) - it's due to the fact that you're barely eating.

steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10) steffir is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    Post is a trainwreck.

'VLC Paleo' - basically two pointless and obsessive diets combined (ketogenic and 'paleo').

Cleaning up your diet - normally this equates to someone eliminating food x from their diet and attributing weight loss to that specific factor, rather than a reduced caloric intake.

Crossfit - what exercise format you choose is up to you, CrossFit has a high proportion of idiotic coaches/centers/clients.

Best exercises - strength training doesn't drive weightloss - the best exercises for strength are heavy compound movements.

Your current diet is absurdly lacking. Your weightloss isn't due to any specific diet (and I'll repeat it here, both paleo and ketogenic diets are pointless) - it's due to the fact that you're barely eating.
    I'm open to suggestions which is why I posted in the forum rather than just diet/exercise bashing.

In terms of the Crossfit I can understand the lack of programming or goal setting makes it seem completely random and though the only thing itll improve is your ability to crossfit which is why im a bit unsure whether to vary up my workout. However its basically HIIT/ metcon training, which does have great benefits.

I have looked through many success stories and tips on here and a lot of the nutritional component is LC. The reason I do paleo is because I believe there is no better way to get food than from natural sources. Why drink tons of protein shakes and take loads of supplements when eating fresh produce and real protein provides that all for you minus tons of production. I eat roughly 1800 cals a day with what I'm doing which I dont think is too bad but also provides enough of a calorie deficit coupled with exercise to see results.

The one thing Im struggling with is sleeping properly and energy levels. But that's why I opened this up here, so if you something useful to add I'm all ears for it.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're getting 1,800 calories from 2 eggs, a salad and a stir fry?

Given that you're doing a 'very low carbohydrate' diet I have no idea how your caloric intake is that high. What do you actually eat?

Place as much store on tips/success stories as you want. There's nothing wrong with carbohydrates, and a ketogenic diet is entirely pointless. Your carbohydrate intake will always be lower when dieting - that doesn't mean it needs to be taken to the extreme end of the spectrum.

I'm not sure what the difference between a dairy based protein powder and 'real' protein is, so I won't comment.

Well my salad usually has an avocado and a chicken breast in it and my dinner stir fry can have up to 300-400gms of meat or fish in it. Plus I consider the oils I use to cook in as calories.

You're getting 1,800 calories from 2 eggs, a salad and a stir fry?

Given that you're doing a 'very low carbohydrate' diet I have no idea how your caloric intake is that high. What do you actually eat?

Place as much store on tips/success stories as you want. There's nothing wrong with carbohydrates, and a ketogenic diet is entirely pointless. Your carbohydrate intake will always be lower when dieting - that doesn't mean it needs to be taken to the extreme end of the spectrum.

I'm not sure what the difference between a dairy based protein powder and 'real' protein is, so I won't comment.
    And the reason I'm posting is just for advice. If theres a lot wrong with my current situation Im looking to improve it and am yet to hear anything constructive from you. You're happy knocking my efforts but haven't suggested any alternatives...

Originally Posted by steffir View Post
    Well my salad usually has an avocado and a chicken breast in it and my dinner stir fry can have up to 300-400gms of meat or fish in it. Plus I consider the oils I use to cook in as calories.
    Don't see that approaching 1,800 calories but ok.

And the reason I'm posting is just for advice. If theres a lot wrong with my current situation Im looking to improve it and am yet to hear anything constructive from you. You're happy knocking my efforts but haven't suggested any alternatives...
    You're dieting on a ketogenic paleo diet, training doing CrossFit and asking for exercises that incinerates fat, helps weight loss and promotes strength.

Suggestions:

-Read the stickies (normally the first thing to do)
    -Get off such a ridiculous diet - it offers no benefits at the cost of very obsessive eating
    -Get on a real workout (NROLFW, SS, Madcows, Push/Pull, WS4SB, AllPro's, whatever)

erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10) erect is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    whale whale whale what do we have here

Originally Posted by erect View Post
    whale whale whale what do we have here
    The things I would do to have your username Phil or whoever you are...The things I would do.

You're dieting on a ketogenic paleo diet, training doing CrossFit and asking for exercises that incinerates fat, helps weight loss and promotes strength.

Suggestions:

-Get off such a ridiculous diet - it offers no benefits at the cost of very obsessive eating
    -Get on a real workout (NROLFW, SS, Madcows, Push/Pull, WS4SB, AllPro's, whatever)
    Thank you! I will check them out.

Thank you! I will check them out.
    Good stuff.

Sorry for being ****ty earlier - I'm normally pretty short/blunt but I was v. tired today and the idea of a ketogenic and paleo diet was just too much for me to handle

Have a good one.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm open to suggestions which is why I posted in the forum rather than just diet/exercise bashing.

In terms of the Crossfit I can understand the lack of programming or goal setting makes it seem completely random and though the only thing itll improve is your ability to crossfit which is why im a bit unsure whether to vary up my workout. However its basically HIIT/ metcon training, which does have great benefits.

I have looked through many success stories and tips on here and a lot of the nutritional component is LC. The reason I do paleo is because I believe there is no better way to get food than from natural sources. Why drink tons of protein shakes and take loads of supplements when eating fresh produce and real protein provides that all for you minus tons of production. I eat roughly 1800 cals a day with what I'm doing which I dont think is too bad but also provides enough of a calorie deficit coupled with exercise to see results.

The one thing Im struggling with is sleeping properly and energy levels. But that's why I opened this up here, so if you something useful to add I'm all ears for it.

The reason most of the nutritional advice here seems to be "low carb" is because the primary focus is on (1) hitting calorie target for your goal (2) getting adequate protein for muscle preservation/synthesis and (3) getting adequate fat to sustain basic bodily function + keep you satiated, after these three are taken care of, if eating in a moderate deficit (especially for us women) that doesn't leave many calories to fill with carbs. Moderate carbs is absolutely fine, if you need more energy, eat more carbs, they won't kill your progress. And you don't need protein shakes or supplements to achieve a goal. They're good to help fill in calories if you can't get them through whole foods, but I personally think they're sh!tty for maintaining sanity while "dieting". If I get to eat only 1500 calories a day I'm eating whole food dammit! There are some decent sources of carbs out there. I swear, eat a baked sweet potato right before a workout and you will annihilate that sucker!

While I do love the idea of eating food as close to naturally as possible, I believe that Paleo seems a bit obsessive. It's a good go-by but I don't see the need to be 100% strict Paleo.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    The reason most of the nutritional advice here seems to be "low carb" is because the primary focus is on (1) hitting calorie target for your goal (2) getting adequate protein for muscle preservation/synthesis and (3) getting adequate fat to sustain basic bodily function + keep you satiated, after these three are taken care of, if eating in a moderate deficit (especially for us women) that doesn't leave many calories to fill with carbs. Moderate carbs is absolutely fine, if you need more energy, eat more carbs, they won't kill your progress. And you don't need protein shakes or supplements to achieve a goal. They're good to help fill in calories if you can't get them through whole foods, but I personally think they're sh!tty for maintaining sanity while "dieting". If I get to eat only 1500 calories a day I'm eating whole food dammit! There are some decent sources of carbs out there. I swear, eat a baked sweet potato right before a workout and you will annihilate that sucker!

While I do love the idea of eating food as close to naturally as possible, I believe that Paleo seems a bit obsessive. It's a good go-by but I don't see the need to be 100% strict Paleo.
    I couldn't agree more. I say Paleo as it's easy to use as a descriptor for whole and natural foods, but I don't love the cult-like associations that come with it. I use it as a rough guideline to eat more naturally. I do see a lot of people like to wear it as a badge of honour rather than understanding that it's just about trying to get back to basics, and they'd rather stick to it 100% to say they do, rather than listening to what their bodies need. That being said, I think calorie counting is very obsessive too and I've been down that road and I lost a lot of weight sure. But I got ill, and I couldn't socialise properly and it was so restrictive and I got so scared of ever eating anything that might even knock me over 10% so eating Paleo helps me guide myself by basically just eating a ton of protein and veg and filling up on that. It's amazing how satieted you feel for long periods of time on it. I don't snack anymore!
    I definitely think I need to have a sweet potato or something before a workout cause I must admit that I haven't had that awesome energy boost so many talk about when being on Ketosis.

penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I couldn't agree more. I say Paleo as it's easy to use as a descriptor for whole and natural foods, but I don't love the cult-like associations that come with it. I use it as a rough guideline to eat more naturally. I do see a lot of people like to wear it as a badge of honour rather than understanding that it's just about trying to get back to basics, and they'd rather stick to it 100% to say they do, rather than listening to what their bodies need. That being said, I think calorie counting is very obsessive too and I've been down that road and I lost a lot of weight sure. But I got ill, and I couldn't socialise properly and it was so restrictive and I got so scared of ever eating anything that might even knock me over 10% so eating Paleo helps me guide myself by basically just eating a ton of protein and veg and filling up on that. It's amazing how satieted you feel for long periods of time on it. I don't snack anymore!
    I definitely think I need to have a sweet potato or something before a workout cause I must admit that I haven't had that awesome energy boost so many talk about when being on Ketosis.
    I can relate to being the only one not drinking alcohol or eating different than everyone else. It can be a bummer. Counting calories is hardcore BUT it is the best way to see results. If you dont want to track calories then could probably still get near your goal weight with what you are doing. some people get by fine without couting calories. Just leave your mind open for it later down the road if you get to the point of being just outside your goal. That may be the time you figure out that if you really want it you are going to have to be hard core and count. Body transformation is trial and error, seeing what works for you and seeing how far you are willing to take it. It is all about reaching your goal. whatever that is.

If you are tired carbs are the way to go.

Originally Posted by penny0527 View Post
    I can relate to being the only one not drinking alcohol or eating different than everyone else. It can be a bummer. Counting calories is hardcore BUT it is the best way to see results. If you dont want to track calories then could probably still get near your goal weight with what you are doing. some people get by fine without couting calories. Just leave your mind open for it later down the road if you get to the point of being just outside your goal. That may be the time you figure out that if you really want it you are going to have to be hard core and count. Body transformation is trial and error, seeing what works for you and seeing how far you are willing to take it. It is all about reaching your goal. whatever that is.

If you are tired carbs are the way to go.
    Definitely! If i get to a point where i have maybe 5lbs of stubborn fat left, than I'll jump onto fitday or something and count the cals. But I don't want a life of counting calories either. One thing VLC paleo has taught me is amazing skills to listen to when I'm hungry and when I need to eat, which I think is more important than analysing food labels for the calorie content. I can't keep up calorie counting forever, so I think that maybe listening to true hunger signals, only eating when hungry, and stopping when full, and realising my mouth is not a vaccuum might bring me to my body's preferred body weight and perhaps in a manner that is sustainable in the long term??

my biggest concerns are about training though ... I think I need to start up a structured strength program and see some real results!

Suggestions:

NROLFW looks awesome!! I have also heard about it before come to think of it. Might be the missing link I'm after