Thread: Body For Life?

lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body For Life?

So I am thinking of starting the body for life program. Has anyone ever tried it? I am curious what you all think!

Thanks! :-)

Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Telle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    know tons of people that have done it and love it... many of those people used it as a place to start to get launched into a new lifestyle and many of those people also thought it was a 12 week miracle, magic program that they could quit after 12 weeks... check out the body for life website for more info
    Powerlifting... do you have what it takes?

vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it's a great program for starting out. I personally started with the Body for Life program, and it lead me on to further things after the 12 weeks were over. Obviously, you have to view it as a lifestyle rather than '12 weeks to the perfect body'. However, I think it's a great introduction to weight training and eating healthy.

My only suggestion - I don't think BFL advocates eating enough 'healthy fats' like avocados, nuts, fatty fish, etc. so I would make sure you're getting enough of that.

Good luck!
    *Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.*

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There's a Body for Life book out specifically for women now. I checked it out from the library and it looks like a good, basic program.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Wome...4657682&sr=8-1

amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am doing BFL at the moment. I think it is great. I am not new to the gym, but I was more of a class taker: dance, spin, pump, etc. I am now following the program.
    I have been feeling GREAT. My body really likes the food I am eating and the exercise is hard, but you do feel a lot lighter after a couple weeks.
    I plan on expanding my workout after the 12 weeks, but for now, it is great!
    I didn't take the challenge, but I am following the program...
    Oh, and usually my weight was 2 lbs more at the end of a day, etc and now my highest weight is what my lowest weight was before. (if that makes sense) LOL

rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ya i'm doing the bfl challenge right now. im into week four. ill post my progress pics the end of this week. so far its been good. im not new to the gym or dieting, but i have a horrible problem with consistency thats why all i have are before pics!
    so far the program is pretty good. i actually like the training part of it. i usually add a little more cardio than what it suggests but that's just cuz i feel lazy if i don't!
    I'll take a 6 pack of abs please!!!!

Obesession is simply a word lazy people use to describe the DEDICATED!!!!

www.teamscivation.com

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109701391

amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amy78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally after 20 mins am dying! I am used to cardio, but I push myself so much in 20 mins that I can almost fall over afterwards!

rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rubes00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    oh ya the 20 min HIIT cardio kills me too. lately i've been just adding some cardio on the other days though. i usually do my 20 min on a stairmaster. i start off at level 5 and just keep going like it says to a 10. it gets me very sweaty.... ill try uploading a pic.
    Attached Images

www.teamscivation.com

lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lmt245 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the info ladies! I really enjoyed the training today. I am afraid to follow the diet though because it isnt very specific with measurements but forces you to judge by eye. I don't feel like I can do that...especially with carbs, if I measure it out, I am ok, but if i dont measure I can just keep eating! How do you all do with the food choices?

With the food, you start to know what the measurements are by eye.
    I know when I cook my lunch I have a chicken breast, brown rice, kidney beans and green beans. I know now how much I can have of each.
    I have to say I have been on a very routine meal plan for almost 3 weeks now. I need new recipes!
    On the cheat day, I am finding I don't really want anything bad, but I do have a few crackers/ cheese, things I like.

Originally Posted by lmt245 View Post
    Thanks for the info ladies! I really enjoyed the training today. I am afraid to follow the diet though because it isnt very specific with measurements but forces you to judge by eye. I don't feel like I can do that...especially with carbs, if I measure it out, I am ok, but if i dont measure I can just keep eating! How do you all do with the food choices?
    I've found protein shakes to be KEY for me. I am usually a sugar addict... but since I've been on protein shakes, I have been eating well. It helps satisfy you, apparently protein satisfies the best.

Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Devisissy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's a great diet for starting out, but in the long run you will tweek it so much you won't really be doing the diet anymore. Depending on how athletic you are another good choice is the 6 week body makeover. It's light on the gym but has a sound diet the same as BFL.

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
    There's a Body for Life book out specifically for women now. I checked it out from the library and it looks like a good, basic program.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Wome...4657682&sr=8-1
    I read this book and it is a very dumbed-down, pink dumbell cardio bunny approach to BFL. It also makes the diet waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. I'd stick with the original BFL.

Originally Posted by Devisissy View Post
    It's a great diet for starting out, but in the long run you will tweek it so much you won't really be doing the diet anymore. Depending on how athletic you are another good choice is the 6 week body makeover. It's light on the gym but has a sound diet the same as BFL.
    WHat is the six week body makeover? I have been workin out regularly and eating well since october but havent been seeing results as I would like...I am looking for anything to help me lose some fat! Im not heavy, but I am only 5 ft so I would like to be able to look leaner!

Peanut Butter Hiatus lollerskatez's Avatar
    lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10) lollerskatez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i'm reading it as a e-book during downtime at work, just for curiousity's sake
    I have a picture - FINALLY!

Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    BFL is a great basic program. Especialy if you are just starting out. If you do choose to do it - its more than a 12 week diet. IF you choose to do it www.bfl-tracker.com is a great site for support. I've been doing BFL since Sept. and lost 20 lbs. All the Best!
    "NEVER GIVE UP AND NEVER STOP BELIEVING!!!"

"It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa

2muchbackend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2muchbackend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2muchbackend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm trying to do bfl as well but I can't do the excersises near the level he says to do them because I'm very overweight and have joint problems. So hopefully the diet will help me while I'm working on getting better on the workouts.
    Carrie

Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dangerousd37 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its ok if you can't do them to the "level in the book". Its about individuality. My "10's" may be different than yours. Just do what you can and put all your effort into it. Don't give up and Don't give in!
    "NEVER GIVE UP AND NEVER STOP BELIEVING!!!"

"It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa

Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm doing BFL right now, too, and am on my 8th week. I am trying to decide if I should keep doing what I am doing for another 12 weeks after this or if I should change.

However, I have changed the original program some already as a result of suggestions on here. I try to eat at a 40-40-20 ratio, and I measure everything out and track it in fitday! I also do some exercises that are not mentioned on the BFL site because I work out at home and am limited....

It seems to be working, though, and as everyone is saying, it is a great way to start learning!

Can I clarify something...

With the weights...

Is it 12x10x8x6x12?

For the 12's it should be fairly light as a warm up?

Anyone have any tips?

Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samus_Fan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I try to make sure that the weight is high enough that I fail on 12 reps. That also usually means that I don't have to up the weight later on because each following set is harder due to failure. When I can do 15 or more reps, that's when I decide to up the weight, which I always look forward to.

ya i usually do 15 instead of the 12's then i up the weight and continue. some exercises its impossible to up the weight each time for me. like if i do bicep curls with dumbells.... this week i did 12 reps with 15's. then my reps of 10,8, and 6 i did with 20lbs. then went back to 15's for my last 12. it killed me!!

but ya i would actually suggest doing a warmup set for your chest and back before you start your sets. the other muscles shouldn't need to warmup since they are used in chest and back slightly. if that makes any sense??

www.teamscivation.com

When I do shoulders, biceps, triceps, chest and some leg exercises like lunges, it says to change the weight each set. So, you don't actually shift weight EACH set?

So, using 3 weights is ok? SO, same on 12's, and same on 10's and then change for 8 and 6's?

I know the BFL site says to up the weights each set, but I find that unnecessary. I really don't need to.... if the weight is high enough to begin with, I can't repeat the same amount of reps. This means that I do 12, rest a minute, do 10, etc.... because if the weight is high enough, and you're not over resting, I doubt you need to up the weight everytime.

For example, I bicep curl 44 lbs with a barbell (22# each arm).... I can do that 12 times, then 10, then 8, etc, and I don't need to add weight because it's hard enough with out. A few weeks down the line, I will be able to do 15 reps, and that will mean, to me, that I need to lift more than 44#... BUT everyone is different.

I have been changing every time, so I guess I was not doing enough.
    My 8's and 6's were killers, but 12's and 10's were just a little uncomortable.

i think as long as you are feeling it and are finding yourself slightly sore the next day, you're probably doing fine.

www.teamscivation.com

RawSoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lmt245 View Post
    Make sure your protein covers your palm (without the fingers) and your carb is anywhere from 1/2 cup-to 1 cup. Less, to none at the end of the day (the book doesn't mention this)

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    4 year bump *AND* bro-science

facepalm.jpeg
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443