ArcticWolf130 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting for Looks and Strength? Hypertrophy Questions?

I started strong lifts 5x5 based on someones recommendation a month ago. I really like the program and thanks to the people who suggested it. My worry is that this program wont shape or enlarge my muscles but only increase my strength. Should I add more reps and lower the weight slightly? Or do 3x3 at my max for 5 and 2x10 at a lower weight to train for both looks and strength. Another one of my goals is to lose weight. I'm probably about 35%BF which is better than where I started. I know muscles wont show until I drop BF but I want them to be a nice size and shape when I finally reach my goal.

Stronkfak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many months/years have you been lifting?And what are your numbers?

Originally Posted by Stronkfak View Post
    How many months/years have you been lifting?And what are your numbers?
    I started lifting again after a 2 years of giving up and bad diet (hence the weight gain).

I'm 5'6 16yrs

Squat:95 lbs
    DL:125 lbs
    Bench:75 lbs
    One Arm Row:35 lbs
    Overhead Press:50 lbs

Yeah I know that's light as a fairy compared to some of these guys. I'm fat and weak. I know I should be focusing on strength but some guys do 5x5 for a while and gain Strength but no definition and puff like a bodybuilder would. So I'm just looking for a way to modify the work out for strength and aesthetics when I get to that point.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You are worrying needlessly because most of your strength gains come from more muscle tissue.

People often don't understand their body composition at the outset which means they think they're going to get larger and more defined muscles much sooner than is reasonable. Changes will be subtle at first, use strength as a guide, you can take measurements if you want to but bear in mind that fat loss from your limbs will offset this to some extent.

Guys who are in the range 14 - 22% bodyfat all look fairly similar but clearly there is a significant difference in composition between the top and bottom end of that range which you may be working your way through over time.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You are worrying needlessly because most of your strength gains come from more muscle tissue.

People often don't understand their body composition at the outset which means they think they're going to get larger and more defined muscles much sooner than is reasonable. Changes will be subtle at first, use strength as a guide, you can take measurements if you want to but bear in mind that fat loss from your limbs will offset this to some extent.

Guys who are in the range 14 - 22% bodyfat all look fairly similar but clearly there is a significant difference in composition between the top and bottom end of that range which you may be working your way through over time.
    So don't add more reps and just stick to the program if I'm interpreting correctly?

Stronkfak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want some extra hypertrophy work jason blaha's 5x5 might be a good option

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ArcticWolf130 View Post
    So don't add more reps and just stick to the program if I'm interpreting correctly?
    Yes

The program is not lacking. A novice will maximise their muscle gain potential on relatively few exercises and with moderate volume, lower reps. This may change a year or two down the line but let's not worry about that now.

If you want to worry about something, get your diet right. Eat 4 meals a day separated by 4-5 hours, each one should contain at least 30g of protein.