thegreatone! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Compound vs isolation exercises

I just would like to know what the main difference is between compound exercises and isolation exercises? What makes compound exercises "better?"

Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cevarius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Isolation would focus on a specific muscle group, whereas compound would work a number of muscle groups; i.e., working just your biceps as compared to working your entire arms/chest/back, working just your calves as compared to working your legs/back.

What would make one better over the other would depend on what goals you're looking to achieve.

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Compound lifts:

Allow the lifter to move greater loads than with iso's and overload the body with more weight.

Have a more profound (and noticeable in some) effect on the endocrine system. More testosterone and other anabolic compounds are naturally created when the body is overloaded working to move big weight against the force of gravity.

Are simpler. By this I mean one can train the entire body with a handful of lifts. This makes program design more basic allowing a new lifter to focus on what really matters--PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD.

It is Easier to train lifts not body parts. If training body parts, it is very difficult to truly apply periodization/programming because there are many more lifts. Hence, there are many more variables to a given workout. For instance, did my tricep kickback stall because I progressively added weight to my rope pulldowns, or did it just hit my max??? I will never know.

They foster a balanced physique. The body was designed (or evolved depending or your belief system) to do real life work against the force of gravity. Our body has not significantly changed for millions of years while only recently did gyms machines become popular. Do a big lift for each plane of movement and you will train to have a balanced muscular physique.

Finally, none of this means iso's don't have a place. Once a lifter has some real experience, they are a great ADDITION to the basic lifts so don't limit yourself either way.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

need6pack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just for my own clarification...

compounds are good for bulking...and isolation is more or less bulking but for defitions..right?

Originally Posted by need6pack View Post
    just for my own clarification...

compounds are good for bulking...and isolation is more or less bulking but for defitions..right?
    If I wanted to build muslce mass I would base my routine on compounds. But No, definition does not come from compound vs iso. Definition comes from having a low body fat %. Detail and definition are a result of 1) having muscle, and 2) not having fat hide that muscle. If you want better definition, address your diet.

great link regarding getting cut (but first you need allot of muscle):
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm
    I believe if you stick to the list of foods given in the second link, and slowly reduce cals there is no way you won't reach your fat lose goals.

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Compound: An exercise that uses more than one joint.

Isolation: An exercise that uses only one joint.

Nothing more, nothing less. Thing is people keep confusing "compound" with "basic" and "isolation" with "auxiliary", which is wrong.

JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Taken from a pretty decent thread...
    Originally Posted by JRX View Post
    7) Isolation exercises are absolute crap. 90% of your routine should be made up of full squats, deadlifts or cleans, bench press, standing overhead press, heavy barbell rows, pull-ups, dips, and core work (abs, glute ham raises, back extensions, reverse hypers). Isolation exercises and machines are the worst thing that ever happened to the weight training world.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I see stuff like "isolations are absolute crap", that's when I stop reading. That sort of dogma is a real turnoff for anyone wanting to get the full picture in weight training. I didn't start seeing any significant growth in my arms until I added a couple isos for them. It's one thing to say that beginner and intermediate lifters should base their program around basic lifts (most of which are incidentally compounds); but to say that they are a complete waste of time is pretty ignorant for anyone that has goals beyond lifting for sheer strength.

I'm getting really tired of the "this vs. that", all or nothing attitude around here. Doesn't speak too highly of the intelligence of a lot of forum members.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    When I see stuff like "isolations are absolute crap", that's when I stop reading.
    Repped.

Anyone with any sort of knowledge of bodybuilding would have to take a couple speedballs to say something like that.

marcusw1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I see stuff like "isolations are absolute crap", that's when I stop reading. That sort of dogma is a real turnoff for anyone wanting to get the full picture in weight training. I didn't start seeing any significant growth in my arms until I added a couple isos for them. It's one thing to say that beginner and intermediate lifters should base their program around basic lifts (most of which are incidentally compounds); but to say that they are a complete waste of time is pretty ignorant for anyone that has goals beyond lifting for sheer strength.

I'm getting really tired of the "this vs. that", all or nothing attitude around here. Doesn't speak too highly of the intelligence of a lot of forum members.
    Totally agree with you. I started to notice a size increase in my arms also when iso's like preacher and cable pushdowns were included in my workout. Not everyone is strong enough to make good workouts out of purely compound movements...I couldn't do dips without having shooting pains through my sternum (when i first started training at 15), after doing cable pushdowns for a couple of weeks, my strength had improved and so my form improved and i could then do dips. I know that not everyone can do squats heavy enough to maxout you legs at 7 reps for 3 sets without almost paralysing yourself with the weight on your spine and the resulting lower back problems. Imaginably some lower back, core, and general stability iso movement exercises would help solve this problem. So people stop hating the isolation movements, and do what works for you, dont depend on machines, but dont kill yourself on advanced compound movements if particular muscles are not strong enough, hope this helps... MW

jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaminoodlesoup is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Repped. Within a year of lifting I had to start some isolation work on my bis and tris. This almost immediately helped my compound lifts (bench, rows, pullups). For the beginner, yes, stick with compound exercises exclusively. But let's not get extreme and say there is NO benefit or purpose for ANY isolation work.