Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by atjones10 View Post
    I'm squatting to just past a 90 degree angle, which is what I have always been taught is correct.
    If thats wrong then I'm glad to learn right. But the point of this whole topic isn't squats, or leg workouts.
    Its gaining mass. But thanks for the help.
    Define 90 degree angle as it applies to squat depth.

And explain how you know/see how deep you are going.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lackeos View Post
    Your bench press stat sounds more like what someone your weight would chest press, and your squat stat sounds more like what someone your weight would leg press.
    His bench is 60lbs more than started and his squat is 50lbs more than started...both are well within the range of a month progress on Starting Strength with 10lb increments per workout...don't know why you are questioning his stats?
    OG

Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    His bench is 60lbs more than started and his squat is 50lbs more than started...both are well within the range of a month progress on Starting Strength with 10lb increments per workout...don't know why you are questioning his stats?
    I'm questioning them for every reason anchored in logic...
    On Starting Strength, the weight you start with is nothing. You don't start-out with intermediate+ lifts and add 10 pounds per workout. If an untrained wimp starts out with submaximal weight, perhaps 60% of body weight, he will add 5-10 pounds to his bench 6 times a month. That's precisely the idea behind Starting Strength. If someone starts out benching 126% of body weight, he's too intermediate to progress at the speed of Starting Strength. Similar with squats. Submaximal weight, 90% of body weight, 171% of body weight, too intermediate to progress, etc. etc.. For his body weight, starting at his starting weights is fairly implausible, and at his likely training level, his rate of progress would have to be pretty slow. Also, he didn't say he was running Starting Strength, he said he was training 5-7 days a week with a pyramiding set-rep scheme. Also, he didn't say he was eating 6000 calories a day and gaining weight at the speed of light like Starting Strength recommends for someone of his weight, he said he's not gaining any weight. So do you think it's possible for an intermediate lifter eating at maintenance on a mediocre bodybuilding program starting with near-maximal lifts to make gains at the same speed as a noob eating at a 4000-calorie a day surplus on a very aggressive beginner strength program starting with submaximal weight? Also, he has borderline advanced lifting stats for his body weight and he's on here asking for a program to help him gain mass, which is like an alleged mathematician going on math.com and asking for the best protractor to solve the Pythagorean Theorem (yes, that's mathematical nonsense, and a professional mathematician would know it's nonsense, just like an advanced lifter should know that a better program won't help your body weight go up). Also, his relatively implausible lifting stats were accompanied with claims of a bf% that we can be absolutely certain is untrue, so, you know... credibility issues.

So...
    Isn't it more likely that he's simply calling the chest press a "bench press" and the leg press, v-squat machine, or diagonal leg press a "squat"? There's actually like 100,000 people on this site and 40 million people across America who have done that. "Yeah, I bench 200 pounds. Well it's actually chest press, but what's the difference?" It just seems like so much more likely of an explanation.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lackeos View Post
    On Starting Strength, the weight you start with is nothing.
    I stopped reading after this...honestly. The weight is not nothing. The weight you start out with is when bar speed slows down.

Also I never said he was doing or not doing SS. I said that his weight progression is well within reason for SS. He also said he is lifting what he was two years ago. When I stopped working out because of my injuries and once I got back in the gym...It was amazing how fast gains came back to me.

BTW...OP has lifted all though high school and even after...I'm fairly sure he know what is and is not a bench press.
    OG

scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrawny2RiPPed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ronparab View Post
    @streetca: i used to be a bit like you. Tall, hardgainer, fast metabolism. Used to weigh approx 165. I used to munch on almonds and cashews, drink lots of milk (around 5 glasses a day) and cheated once a week with a large pizza. Chicken breast and fruits such as apples and bananas did the trick for me. Hope this helps!
    What did you do for workout routines?
    Squat, Bench, and Deadlift

streetca has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the constructive replies. I would be more than happy to use the resources mentioned and read through them but don't have a readily available method of getting some of that information. Thanks for the help guys.

MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MattMPsi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    When it comes to putting on size, theres only so much you can force yourself to eat. Some guys can be pounding down 6,000 cals a day and have trouble maintaining 170. Just telling them to "eat more" will not help them. Thier already eating all they can.

But, dont let that get you down. I do have a couple tricks and tips that have worked wonders for me.

-Milk. Add a big tall glass of milk to EVERY meal.
    -Light cardio. Dont go nuts with it, but a nice light 20 minute jog can help increase your appetite quite a bit.
    -Sleep. I know they say you should be getting 8 hours a night. But ever since I started sleeping a good 11 - 12 hours a night, my gains and lifts have gone up significantly. (I realize a lot of people dont have the schedule for this, however)
    -Water. This one's obvious. But a lot of people dont realize that by drinking a good amount of water between meals, it can also help you eat more. Water helps digest your food. So next time you go eat, youll be more hungry.
    -Go heavier each week. I normally go through cycles each lasting about 8 weeks. First week 15 reps, second week 12, third week, 10, etc. So your lifting heavier each week.
    -Instead of eating very frequent small meals, make them a little less frequent, but larger. A big thing when it came to eating large amounts with me was I was never hungry when it came time to eat, so I couldnt consume enough calories. Wait about 3 hours between each meal, and when trying to get big, eat until FULLNESS. For most people this is common. But common among us bodybuilders we dont do that. Its time to start doing that again, and like I said add a glass of milk or two to the end of every meal.

There is one last thing. If you go out and get one of those containers of honey roasted mixed nuts (about the size of a softball), in the container is about 12 servings of nuts. Each serving is 160 calories. So if you eat half the container, thats 1000 calories right there. Some days, to boost my gains I'd have one of my meals be a glass of milk, some fruit as carbs (bananas are great for weight gain) and about 1000 calories worth of nuts. It helped me a lot, because these nuts are so calorie dense and its easy to eat a LOT of them in a short time because they were very good.

As you can see, my main problem with getting big was figuring out ways to get in enough calories to satisfy my rediculous metabolism. These are the method's I've found to work.

Good luck
    Last edited by MattMPsi; 04-11-2012 at 12:28 AM.

ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ronparab is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MattMPsi View Post
    When it comes to putting on size, theres only so much you can force yourself to eat. Some guys can be pounding down 6,000 cals a day and have trouble maintaining 170. Just telling them to "eat more" will not help them. Thier already eating all they can.

But, dont let that get you down. I do have a couple tricks and tips that have worked wonders for me.

-Milk. Add a big tall glass of milk to EVERY meal.
    -Light cardio. Dont go nuts with it, but a nice light 20 minute jog can help increase your appetite quite a bit.
    -Sleep. I know they say you should be getting 8 hours a night. But ever since I started sleeping a good 11 - 12 hours a night, my gains and lifts have gone up significantly. (I realize a lot of people dont have the schedule for this, however)
    -Water. This one's obvious. But a lot of people dont realize that by drinking a good amount of water between meals, it can also help you eat more. Water helps digest your food. So next time you go eat, youll be more hungry.
    -Go heavier each week. I normally go through cycles each lasting about 8 weeks. First week 15 reps, second week 12, third week, 10, etc. So your lifting heavier each week.
    -Instead of eating very frequent small meals, make them a little less frequent, but larger. A big thing when it came to eating large amounts with me was I was never hungry when it came time to eat, so I couldnt consume enough calories. Wait about 3 hours between each meal, and when trying to get big, eat until FULLNESS. For most people this is common. But common among us bodybuilders we dont do that. Its time to start doing that again, and like I said add a glass of milk or two to the end of every meal.

There is one last thing. If you go out and get one of those containers of honey roasted mixed nuts (about the size of a softball), in the container is about 12 servings of nuts. Each serving is 160 calories. So if you eat half the container, thats 1000 calories right there. Some days, to boost my gains I'd have one of my meals be a glass of milk, some fruit as carbs (bananas are great for weight gain) and about 1000 calories worth of nuts. It helped me a lot, because these nuts are so calorie dense and its easy to eat a LOT of them in a short time because they were very good.

As you can see, my main problem with getting big was figuring out ways to get in enough calories to satisfy my rediculous metabolism. These are the method's I've found to work.

Good luck
    Totally agree! But a word of caution. Don't go overboard on the nuts. They are great for sizing up but a lot of fat intake can make you feel lethargic the next day (personal experience!). I love eating nuts. I mean, they're the easiest snacks you could get your hands on. Also, if I could add what MattMPsi already mentioned, you could try eating curds and cottage cheese/tofu and soyabean. These foods helped me gain size. They could work for you too.