Stabber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HIIT on stationary bikes?

Is this possible?

Lately, I've been using my stationary bike for this. I go slow, then turn up the intensity and pedal as fast as I can for like 15 seconds. Wears me out. Heart races. But I don't feel as "drained" as I do when doing HIIT sprinting.

I think more than anything, my legs exhaust before anything. Is anyone else trying HIIT on stationary bikes? Do you think what I'm doing is enough?
    do nothing which is of no use

d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50) d1rtejerz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think the stationary bike is one of the weakest forms of cardio in terms of calories burned. It's better than nothing though I guess.

Stabber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know, it is weak for long durations. But I am asking this question regarding HIIT. Not normal cardio..
    do nothing which is of no use

term has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ha. People who think that HIIT cannot be done on a stationary bike aren't doing it hard enough.

Today, this was my HIIT routine (after lifting) and I did it on a stationary bike.

0:00 - 2:59 - Warm-up
    3:00 - 12:59 - HIIT (15 seconds @ 100%, 15 seconds @ 50% for 10 minutes.)
    13:00 - 15:00 - Cool-down

Yeah, I almost puked. :) The stationary and recumbent bikes work great if you can increase the resistance levels.
    Last edited by term; 07-07-2003 at 05:57 PM.

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try it 30 seconds fast 30 seconds "slow"

dial the intesnity up all the way for the fast bit, then 1 notch below top for the slow bit.

stationary bike is only weak if you have the resistance set too low.

juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, HIT can be done on the bike, and it is just as effective if not more effective than sprinting. You just arnt setting the levels high enough. Like mentioned try 30 on 30 off, full intensity and half intensety. If thats not enough, try 1 min on 1 min off. I guarnetee you will be huffing and puffing by 7-8 minutes. Oh when you go to max intensity, keep the bars at peak levels, meaning stay at a constiant speed even though the level has increased.

Nemmeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I totally agree, HIIT can be done on a bike easily.. And anyone that says you're getting off easy on a bike, HA! get on a good one and actually turn the resistance up and I guarantee when you get off you won't have the same feelings about it.

I do long durations of cardio, because honestly I've got too much fat on me and I know from experience what works for shedding the fat, as I've lost 130lbs since Nov.

I pulled 21.50 miles today in 60mins, avg hr of 168. Although that isn't accurate because my hands aren't always on the bike.

But I know for certain I was pulling 175-185HR for 30min then I dropped down to mid 160's then back up. I never seep below 160. This was on a StarTrak Recumbant.

But anyway, yes... HIIT can be done on a bike.... I don't know why some people will argue with you on this... pick whatever piece of equipment you like the most, whatever is the most comfortable to you and do it. Don't baby around on it though, continously push yourself.

And by all means, get some music that really drives you.
    Nov 2002 - 325lbs
    June 2003 - 205lbs
    Goal - 160lbs

juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) juicedgixxer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by Nemmeh
    I totally agree, HIIT can be done on a bike easily.. And anyone that says you're getting off easy on a bike, HA! get on a good one and actually turn the resistance up and I guarantee when you get off you won't have the same feelings about it.

I do long durations of cardio, because honestly I've got too much fat on me and I know from experience what works for shedding the fat, as I've lost 130lbs since Nov.

I pulled 21.50 miles today in 60mins, avg hr of 168. Although that isn't accurate because my hands aren't always on the bike.

But I know for certain I was pulling 175-185HR for 30min then I dropped down to mid 160's then back up. I never seep below 160. This was on a StarTrak Recumbant.

But anyway, yes... HIIT can be done on a bike.... I don't know why some people will argue with you on this... pick whatever piece of equipment you like the most, whatever is the most comfortable to you and do it. Don't baby around on it though, continously push yourself.

Exactly. I see people just pedal away easy as can be reading a freggin magazine. Then there like "the bike sucks" Dude get your ass off the seat, turn the resistance up and pedal!!! Same goes of the other aerobic machines, just put some effort for crying out loud.

Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good points made by all.

Yes HIIT can be done on a stationary bike, it's where I do the majority of it.

30 seconds on 30 seconds off is what I typically do. I may do this for up to 15 cycles (15 minutes)

Another trick I do is throw on an 80's hair metal band, and pedal quick everytime the shout out chorus comes on until it ends, or maybe a guitar solo. It's amusing, but true!

Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by Nemmeh

Bump I feel drained after doing HIIT ona bike. 30/30 intervals with it up tight notches. I feel it is good. I start it again on sunday.

Also one question - is food 1/2hr b4 HIIT good er does it have to be an hour?
    Team Scivation

"The beauty of understanding how to defeat pain is recognizing that it does exist" - Ray Lewis

"The gym is my personal practice field where i dominate and win, and when I walk out those doors, I take my skills to the grand show of life" - Dwayne Johnson

Journal -
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=632957613&posted=1#post632957613[/url]

Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob G 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can burn a little over 200 cals in 20 frickin minutes in the stationary bike and im not even doing HIIT. That **** is rough... especially for a dumb ass like me that smokes.

Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Jesin
    Bump I feel drained after doing HIIT ona bike. 30/30 intervals with it up tight notches. I feel it is good. I start it again on sunday.

Also one question - is food 1/2hr b4 HIIT good er does it have to be an hour?
    I think if you can tolerate eating so soon without getting sick, no problem. If I ate a heavy meal (like the lunch I just had, a huge sandwich) it would be tough.

This whole empty stomach in the morning thing, vs eating breakfast doesn't make a huge difference in my opinion. Since we are looking for the elevated metabolic rate post exercise, the difference between doing it in a fasted state or eating doesn't account for as much as stated.

lisace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Performing training techniques like the exercise bike HIIT workout are easier to do on a spin bike than on any other type of cardio machine including the treadmill and elliptical. In fact, spinners were built for just such intense exercise! They tough part is the HII's --no matter how (running, treadmill, biking, pylo) your metabolism is responding to the intensity you are investing. Biking on a stationary is perfect for this. Those that think it cannot be intense enough--are either not investing enough, or do not have enough resistance on their bike.

Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Brutal necro

buffaloback31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yo does anyone do hi it on the bikes w the back support I have one at home and was wondering if it would be a good idea

Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beastman09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are turely sprinting, the lactic acid buildup in your legs will make it very hard to complete 20 minutes.

Oldog94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by buffaloback31 View Post
    Yo does anyone do hi it on the bikes w the back support I have one at home and was wondering if it would be a good idea
    You can do hiit on any piece of equipment you have. I do a regular spin bike most of the time. I usually warm up 2-3 min. Go all out for 15 sec with a high resistance (if bike goes to 25 go around 15-16 resistance) then 45 second rest. I repeat this 10 times or more with a couple min. cool down. You'll definitely get your heart rate up and HIIT is proven to increase metabolism, testosterone, and HGH. It works especially well when combined with a higher resistance. It's killer. Iv'e used a recumbent bike before and it works well. It can bring up lunch if you're not careful.

ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do HIIT on a mountain bike on the trails. I train on a stationary during the winter because I don't like outside activities when it's cold. I have had 2 rides so far this week, and I can tell you that no amount of stationary biking can prepare you for a real bike. As far as HIIT is concerned though, a stationary bike can absolutely be used to do effective HIIT workouts. It's way lower impact too, which can be very helpful for guys that are heavier and don't want the knee and shin pains that accompany running when you're heavy.

anonymous
    i do HIIT on a stat bike 3 days a week

brb out of breath
    brb legs feel like wooden stilts
    brb taking the elevator instead of the stairs today
    brb gota drink water to battle my elevated hunger pains before i break fast

truestory

oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50) oncewasinshape will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This thread was started when I was 8 years old! Let it die already yo

ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000) ryantrek is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by oncewasinshape View Post
    This thread was started when I was 8 years old! Let it die already yo
    Dang, didn't look at the original start date....

FrostbiteFitnes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    works for me. i like HIIT on bike a bike