Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Military Wife and Mom Julie5150's Avatar
    Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Do Christians realy believe all that's in the Bible?

I do believe in God and a few other God/Jesus related events. However, I do not (never have and never will) believe in some 'facts' from the Bible.

Such as:

Jonah and the Whale *edit - excuse me, fish...Johan and the Fish* - I do not believe that a whale swallowed a man, swam around with him for a few days, and then spit him up - unharmed - onto a beach.

Noah and the Ark - I don't believe that a man built a massive boat and gathered up every animal two-by-two, put them into the ark, boated around for 40days and nights while the world was flooded and then stayed on that boat long enough to continue living and further the human race and all the animals.

The Rainbow - I don't believe that the world's first rainbow came about after the 'great flood'. You're telling me that something that can be recreated with any sun/water means never happened before that?

Book of Revelations - and all that is wrapped up in it is, to me, a weed-dream at the least. If any of it is based in reality and real 'forseeing of the future' then it's all stories and hidden meanings - nothing to be taken literally.

Genesis - Sorry, but I don't believe the universe was created in a short number of days. I don't believe in how Adam and Eve were created and so forth - it's senseless to me. Nor do I believe that we even decended from just two people - you have any idea how genetically fkd we'd really be? In order for a few people to populate the earth they'd have to commit insest on all levels. Which is a very sinful thing to do according to the Bible. So why does the beginning of the entire species start out that way according to the Bible?

A few more:
    Loaves and Fish (what is Jesus - a magician? I thought the Bible was against magic)
    Firey Furnace (yeah, right - put an angel in a story and anything's supposed to be possible)
    Jesus walking on the water (maybe - I do believe Jesus might have walked on earth and could have walked on water)
    Daniel in the Lion's Den (I believe this might have happened - but not necessarily with devine intervention)
    Burning Bush (sounds like one hell of a good halucination)
    Mannah (right along with the Laoves and Fish)
    The Red Sea (As usual - the power of God supposedly playing with the laws of nature)

I can go on

And those are the big things that I have disbeliefs in - there are a lot of little things, too - but those are the main ones that come to mind that everyone else puts faith in.
    I do believe that they are excellent stories with morals to them - but I don't take any of them as fact. I don't remember reading anywhere in the Bible that I had to believe in those to be a decent person, or even a heaven-bound soul. Or even a Christian, for that matter. (and when I told my parents this my father (who's a minister) said: "Who's family were you raised in" - LOL. A family where the parents don't live together, anymore - that's for sure.)

So - why is it that a lot of people believe these stories actually happened? And why so?
    Last edited by Julie5150; 11-10-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Real women CLEAN with kettlebells

adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Christ

Originally Posted by Julie5150
    I do believe in God and a few other God/Jesus related events. However, I do not (never have and never will) believe in some 'facts' from the Bible.

Such as:

Jonah and the Whale - I do not believe that a whale swallowed a man, swam around with him for a few days, and then spit him up - unharmed - onto a beach.

Noah and the Ark - I don't believe that a man built a massive boat and gathered up every animal two-by-two, put them into the ark, boated around for 40days and nights while the world was flooded and then stayed on that boat long enough to continue living and further the human race and all the animals.

The Rainbow - I don't believe that the world's first rainbow came about after the 'great flood'. You're telling me that something that can be recreated with any sun/water means never happened before that?

Book of Revelations - and all that is wrapped up in it is, to me, a weed-dream at the least. If any of it is based in reality and real 'forseeing of the future' then it's all stories and hidden meanings - nothing to be taken literally.

Genesis - Sorry, but I don't believe the universe was created in a short number of days. I don't believe in how Adam and Eve were created and so forth - it's senseless to me. Nor do I believe that we even decended from just two people - you have any idea how genetically fkd we'd really be? In order for a few people to populate the earth they'd have to commit insest on all levels. Which is a very sinful thing to do according to the Bible. So why does the beginning of the entire species start out that way according to the Bible?

A few more:
    Loaves and Fish (what is Jesus - a magician? I thought the Bible was against magic)
    Firey Furnace (yeah, right - put an angel in a story and anything's supposed to be possible)
    Jesus walking on the water (maybe - I do believe Jesus might have walked on earth and could have walked on water)
    Daniel in the Lion's Den (I believe this might have happened - but not necessarily with devine intervention)
    The Red Sea (As usual - the power of God supposedly playing with the laws of nature)

I can go on

And those are the big things that I have disbeliefs in - there are a lot of little things, too - but those are the main ones that come to mind that everyone else puts faith in.
    I do believe that they are excellent stories with morals to them - but I don't take any of them as fact. I don't remember reading anywhere in the Bible that I had to believe in those to be a decent person, or even a heaven-bound soul. Or even a Christian, for that matter. (and when I told my parents this my father (who's a minister) said: "Who's family were you raised in" - LOL. A family where the parents don't live together, anymore - that's for sure.)

So - why is it that a lot of people believe these stories actually happened? And why so?
    The most important thing is that you believe in Christ.

The rest of the Bible will only make you stronger and more blessed.

Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Julie5150 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    But do you believe in any of those things? This is just something I've always been curious but never asked anyone in my parent's church and what not - I never wanted my father's possition to be questioned just because of my curiosity.

IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by adilrockstar
    The most important thing is that you believe in Christ.

The rest of the Bible will only make you stronger and more blessed.
    Stories of genocide, murder, rape, incest, bigotry, racism and child abuse - yet it's making you stronger and more blessed?

Damn, something wrong with you...
    Viking to the core.

Fark yew.

adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) adilrockstar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

??

Originally Posted by IceDragon
    Stories of genocide, murder, rape, incest, bigotry, racism and child abuse - yet it's making you stronger and more blessed?

Damn, something wrong with you...
    You are very dilusional

IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You are very dilusional
    Nope, I've just actually read the damn thing.
    Viking to the core.

Fark yew.

Real Foods TM Intl. Rep Need2ShapeUp's Avatar
    Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Need2ShapeUp is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I think, by definition, if you are a 'christian' you believe that Christ was born of a virgin, performed miracles, was god incarnate, was crucified, died and rose again.

If you can believe that, then why not believe other items that defy belief?

But do you believe in any of those things? This is just something I've always been curious but never asked anyone in my parent's church and what not - I never wanted my father's possition to be questioned just because of my curiosity.

I do believe 100% everything in the Bible. That is because the more I read it, the more it became real to me. It wasn't just a story. The more you read your Bible the more you pick up on other statements and comments that confirm God's word. Just believing that this planet was created by a Higher Power takes faith. If a person can have that much faith in God why would they stop their belief in him there. I believe in all the stories you mentioned to be 100% true. God is amazing and full of surprise and wonder and adventure.

Vulgar

Originally Posted by IceDragon
    Nope, I've just actually read the damn thing.
    Your language sucks every time you speak. It is a real distraction from the impact of your statements.

Your language sucks every time you speak. It is a real distraction from the impact of your statements.
    ah - yeah, that's another thing I don't believe:

I don't believe that Mary was a Virgin.
    This is where I believe hebrew->other languages is flubbed. I believe in the arguement that the word 'virgin' was used when translating instead of 'young woman'

EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Such as:

Jonah and the Whale - I do not believe that a whale swallowed a man, swam around with him for a few days, and then spit him up - unharmed - onto a beach.

A few more:

I can go on

What gets me is why do some Christians have to believe the bible word for word? An admittance that the bible is a collection of works by men recounting the work of God as seen through their eyes does not diminish the importance of God and his message. What does it matter if the earth is six billion rather than six thousand years old? If God saved Noah from a catastrophic flood creating the Black Sea (which Noah would have interpretted as covering the world) rather than covering the world does it diminish God's greatness? I think a reading of the Bible with a critical rather than literal mindset gets us closer to what God really wants of us. Love one another, do good things and enjoy yourself. A literal interpretation only works against those concepts.

nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Such as:

Jonah and the Whale I do not believe that a whale swallowed a man, swam around with him for a few days, and then spit him up unharmed onto a beach.
    Believe whatever you like, but the Bible does not say "whale". Maybe you should get informed.

Noah and the Ark I don't believe that a man built a massive boat and gathered up every animal two by two, put them into the ark, boated around for 40days and nights while the world was flooded and then stayed on that boat long enough to continue living and further the human race and all the animals.
    But you state no basis for disbelieving. And no he did not built a "boat". He built an ark. And he did not "gather up" the animals; they were brought to him, gathered by God. The fact of the ark's remains having been found tends to impinge the viability of your non-belief.

The Rainbow I don't believe that the world's first rainbow came about after the 'great flood'. You're telling me that something that can be recreated with any sun/water means never happened before that?
    When do rainbows occur? After rainstorms? There was no rain prior to the flood, so there goes your skepticism.

Book of Revelations
    I agree. There is no such book in the Bible.

Genesis Sorry but I don't believe the universe was created in a short number of days.
    Why?

I don't believe in how Adam and Eve were created and so forth it's senseless to me.
    Why?

Nor do I believe that we even decended from just two people you have any idea how genetically fkd we'd really be? In order for a few people to populate the earth they'd have to commit insest on all levels. Which is a very sinful thing to do according to the Bible.
    You are wrong on every point in that paragraph. Brothers and sisters did indeed marry prior to the command that they no longer do that. We have been here now for thousands of years, and disease and flaws have piled up in the gene pool, making it dangerous to reproduce with a sibling. But right after the Creation events that was not a hazard or a possibility, so there was nothing wrong with it. "Incest" means something unlawful, and until Father said "do that no more" it was not unlawful.

Loaves and Fish (what is Jesus a magician?
    No. Jesus is God the Creator who keeps you alive.

Firey Furnace (yeah, right put an angel in a story and anything's supposed to be possible)
    Why not? Are all things not possible with God's will and the authority He grants?

Daniel in the Lion's Den (I believe this might have happened but not necessarily with devine intervention)
    Yes indeed "necessarily". The word you want is lions'; there were more than one in there.

Originally Posted by EDC
    What gets me is why do some Christians have to believe the bible word for word? An admittance that the bible is a collection of works by men recounting the work of God as seen through their eyes does not diminish the importance of God and his message. What does it matter if the earth is six billion rather than six thousand years old? If God saved Noah from a catastrophic flood creating the Black Sea (which Noah would have interpretted as covering the world) rather than covering the world does it diminish God's greatness? I think a reading of the Bible with a critical rather than literal mindset gets us closer to what God really wants of us. Love one another, do good things and enjoy yourself. A literal interpretation only works against those concepts.
    I agree with that, EDC.

Virgin

ah - yeah, that's another thing I don't believe:

This is where I believe hebrew->other languages is flubbed. I believe in the arguement that the word 'virgin' was used when translating instead of 'young woman'
    If God could create this universe, why don't you think he could impregnate a virgin? Also if God could create the universe, why do you think he couldn't control what was and wasn't written in the Bible.....the only thing we have to guide us through life.

nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nonAtlas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by EDC
    the bible is a collection of works by men recounting the work of God as seen through their eyes
    Not "by men" and not "through their eyes".

that's another thing I don't believe:

The word means "virgin" each time it is used in the Bible. Sorry.

Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

I'm consider myself a Christian and I generally think the same way you do.

Once in church, one of the readings was about Jonah and the whale. During the sermon, the priest said that many people actually believe this story as a fact - that it actually happened that way. He chuckled and went on to explain to the congregation that the story is only a metaphor for what had happened (between two cities from what I remember - sorry).

Anyway, I myself can't possibly take many of the stories as fact. I just think it's silly to interpret the Bible that way. The Bible was written by many different people over a long period of time. I think of it more as a collection of stories with threads of truth weaved in. I could care less what people think of the way I see it. It's my own personal relationship with God. I keep it to myself and can't stand people who preach, attempt to convert others, or look down on others as being non-believers. I think it's a personal thing.

Be Cautious

I agree with that, EDC.
    Be careful. God is all powerful. God is supreme. He wouldn't leave us with a book that was half true. Have total faith in God's word. Faith is what will get us into heaven and help us live a blessed life.

974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Your morals and beliefs SUCK everytime you state them. It is a real distraction from reality.

I wouldn't go as far as telling anyone their language sucks simply because they do not have the same beliefs as you.

Originally Posted by nonAtlas
    Believe whatever you like, but the Bible does not say "whale". Maybe you should get informed.

----
    But you state no basis for disbelieving. And no he did not built a "boat". He built an ark. And he did not "gather up" the animals; they were brought to him, gathered by God. The fact of the ark's remains having been found tends to impinge the viability of your non-belief.
    ----
    When do rainbows occur? After rainstorms? There was no rain prior to the flood, so there goes your skepticism.
    ----
    I agree. There is no such book in the Bible.
    ----
    Why?
    ----
    Why?
    ----
    You are wrong on every point in that paragraph. Brothers and sisters did indeed marry prior to the command that they no longer do that. We have been here now for thousands of years, and disease and flaws have piled up in the gene pool, making it dangerous to reproduce with a sibling. But right after the Creation events that was not a hazard or a possibility, so there was nothing wrong with it. "Incest" means something unlawful, and until Father said "do that no more" it was not unlawful.
    ----
    No. Jesus is God the Creator who keeps you alive.
    ----
    Why not? Are all things not possible with God's will and the authority He grants?
    ----
    Yes indeed "necessarily". The word you want is lions'; there were more than one in there.
    So me using 'whale' instead of 'fish' and 'lion's' instead of 'lions'' changes everything? No -you're just being hung up on nit-picks and my very few mis-types.

???

Originally Posted by 974g63awd
    Your morals and beliefs SUCK everytime you state them. It is a real distraction from reality.

I wouldn't go as far as telling anyone their language sucks simply because they do not have the same beliefs as you.
    Did I make you angry???

I am just trying to help her out. Her language is very vulgar....all the time.

Not just every now and then....all the time. It is a turn off. It makes me not want to take her seriously.

EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not "by men" and not "through their eyes".
    Serious question. Where does it say that?

Be careful. God is all powerful. God is supreme. He wouldn't leave us with a book that was half true. Have total faith in God's word. Faith is what will get us into heaven and help us live a blessed life.
    Or could God be looking down thinking "I'm going to let them figure this one out for themselves. I did give them the ability to reason". I see God as something of a parent and part of being a good parent is letting your children fix their own mistakes. They'll be better for it.

Originally Posted by EDC
    Serious question. Where does it say that?

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
    17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    2 Timothy 3

The fact of the ark's remains having been found tends to impinge the viability of your non-belief.
    Have they? I know of quite a few places where they *might* be - but I don't know of anyone who has proven it to be true and undoubtably the remains of the 'ark'.

Not all

Originally Posted by Worldwide
    I'm consider myself a Christian and I generally think the same way you do.

Once in church, one of the readings was about Jonah and the whale. During the sermon, the priest said that many people actually believe this story as a fact - that it actually happened that way. He chuckled and went on to explain to the congregation that the story is only a metaphor for what had happened (between two cities from what I remember - sorry).

Anyway, I myself can't possibly take many of the stories as fact. I just think it's silly to interpret the Bible that way. The Bible was written by many different people over a long period of time. I think of it more as a collection of stories with threads of truth weaved in. I could care less what people think of the way I see it. It's my own personal relationship with God. I keep it to myself and can't stand people who preach, attempt to convert others, or look down on others as being non-believers. I think it's a personal thing.
    Not all of the opinions of man about the Word of God are true. People have picked apart the word so badly that it has seperated Christians from one another. I personally believe that the story is 100% true as described.

You know some people believe that the Bible was all fake and just a book of stories written to lash out at certain political leaders and bring an uprising of the people.

So me using 'whale' instead of 'fish' and 'lion's' instead of 'lions'' changes everything? No -you're just being hung up on nit-picks and my very few mis-types.
    Not quite. I am saying your effort to debunk a truth claim does itself in when you do not even know what that truth claim says. Not "very few"; very many.

Have they? I know of quite a few places where they might be but I don't know of anyone who has proven it to be true and undoubtably the remains of the ark.
    Well, neither have I been to the site, but guys who have did verify that what was dismissed by some as mere rock started out as wood.

974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 974g63awd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Did I make you angry???

I am just trying to help her out. Her language is very vulgar....all the time.

Not just every now and then....all the time. It is a turn off. It makes me not want to take her seriously.

No, you did not make me mad. I was trying to help you see how childish it seems to tell someone they suck because they have a differnet view. I have nothing against you or your beliefs. I just wish you would have an open mind and realize that god doesn't need us to worship him and follow his every single word. God knows if you accept him deep in your heart. There is no need to praise him or worship him and condem those who do not.

Not quite. I am saying your effort to debunk a truth claim does itself in when you do not even know what that truth claim says. Not "very few"; very many.
    I'm not debunking any 'truths' - I'm simply stating that I find all of these stories to be simply stories: stories that teach moral values and that give excellent ideas and guidelines to live by. But not retellings of historical events.

boat/ark
    whale/fish
    lion's/lions'

what else?

If you know the Bible then you can overlook these simple things. If you believe the Bible or even disbelieve the Bible then nit-picks and small details won't affect your beliefs.