Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wtf is cheat day?

Hey brahs!
    I often see cheat days threads here and there, and always wonder wtf is it?
    For example, I am on cut atm, eating 2000kkal per day.
    If I have cheat day (if I understand right - i eat all I want and how much I want) - knowing myself its gonna be around 4000kkal on that day.
    So how will it impact my cut?

Explain me cheat day thingy pls

TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Madred View Post
    Hey brahs!
    I often see cheat days threads here and there, and always wonder wtf is it?
    For example, I am on cut atm, eating 2000kkal per day.
    If I have cheat day (if I understand right - i eat all I want and how much I want) - knowing myself its gonna be around 4000kkal on that day.
    So how will it impact my cut?

Explain me cheat day thingy pls
    Cheat days are when you convince yourself it's ok to binge eat whatever you want for an entire day because you're tired and hungry from dieting. It's going to set you back 2000 calories worth of dieting to answer the question.
    Follow progress on
    IG: daniel.in.sea

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

BP: 365lbs
    Sq: 515lbs
    (strict)OHP: 225lbs
    DL: 605lbs

"Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality."
    -Ralph Marston

�Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.�
    -Unknown

Lift, Eat, Sleep. Repeat. BDeblo's Avatar
    BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TunaShakes View Post
    Cheat days are when you convince yourself it's ok to binge eat whatever you want for an entire day because you're tired and hungry from dieting. It's going to set you back 2000 calories worth of dieting to answer the question.
    Easy there. Watch using the term binge out of context
    Ditch your meal plan and develop a diet that combines sound nutrition with the foods you enjoy by eating when you see fit in the portions that allow you to achieve your macronutrient and caloric needs while providing sufficient micronutrients, energy and satiety. One can never forget that nutrition is a tool, not a restraint; the enjoyment of life should always come first. Psychological, sociological and emotional health should never be threatened by the attempt to increase physiological health.

Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    cheat days are something that people who construct a proper diet of foods they like, while implementing moderation rarely feel a need for.
    My log:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147520713

**BTK** Bustin Ass Errday all day. One Day at a Time.

**PoP** Physiques of Pasta

Reborn July 29th 2011 BTGOG

Recovery b4 everything else, w/o my sobriety, I cannot hope to have anything else.

Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hborno has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Basically its a day where u eat all what you want while on a diet , your body starts getting used to either ur low intake of food or high intake of food based on what our doing, so for instance if ur losing weight ur stomache starts shrinking and ur eating less food so ur burning rate of fat starts to get lower , to keep ur burning r ation you have a cheat day its like ur telling ur body dont get used to that im not burning fat so it goes back to normal burning. IMO while cutting u should only have a cheat meal not a full day.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^WTF did i just read???

Anyhow...

Cheat days are a means of psychological cleansing and relief of cravings for people who think they need to eat bland food to get results and those who never allow indulgences in moderation. In other words, for those who've never heard of IIFYM.

TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaShakes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BDeblo View Post
    Lol I think you know what I meant, a proper refeed day is not the same as a cheat day. A structured refeed keeps fats low carbs high for restoring muscle glycogen and helping prevent metabolic slowdown. Refeeds are also dependent on how much bodyfat you're carrying and how big your calorie deficit is. A cheat day is usually an excuse to order a few stuffed crust pizzas and buy a couple gallons of ice cream.
    Follow progress on

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

-Ralph Marston

-Unknown

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A structured refeed keeps fats low carbs high for restoring muscle glycogen...
    That's a carb-up, not a refeed. A refeed doesn't have to focus on keeping carbs high.

Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jen0va is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BDeblo View Post
    Something tells me this was the product of people being over-sensitive to eating disorder related topics. Which I see alot from certain users on this forum that I'll refrain from mentioning.

<---btw recovering from multiple ED's so come the **** @ me for saying it. I dare anyone ^_^

Recovery b4 everything else, w/o my sobriety, I cannot hope to have anything else.

Originally Posted by Jen0va View Post
    Something tells me this was the product of people being over-sensitive to eating disorder related topics. Which I see alot from certain users on this forum that I'll refrain from mentioning.

<---btw recovering from multiple ED's so come the **** @ me for saying it. I dare anyone ^_^
    Ah I've gotcha, I didn't mean it in that context at all to be honest.
    Follow progress on

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

-Ralph Marston

-Unknown

Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh wow, thanks for all the replies, guys xD
    I just wondered what would happen if I am cutting on 2k kkal daily and eat 4000kkal, say, once per week or two weeks.
    So all of these kkals will be digested and they all count, right?

wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50) wdmvp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What would happen is you would likely lose weight at a slower rate than if you weren't to incorporate a cheat.

Originally Posted by Madred View Post
    Oh wow, thanks for all the replies, guys xD
    I just wondered what would happen if I am cutting on 2k kkal daily and eat 4000kkal, say, once per week or two weeks.
    So all of these kkals will be digested and they all count, right?
    Just add up your weekly deficit and subtract 2000 calories from it to get an idea of what your Total Deficit is for the week. It might slow progress a little, but if it helps you stick to your diet long term then why not.
    Follow progress on

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

-Ralph Marston

-Unknown

donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wouldn't do a cheat day. Like everyone else said it's basically a day off of your diet.

Instead, I would do one cheat meal a week. You get to eat your favorite food, but it will likely only put you a couple hundred calories over your goal, rather than a couple thousand.

Ah I've gotcha, I didn't mean it in that context at all to be honest.
    HAHA, yes I know you didn't. I was saying that some users are a bit too sensitive to these sort of issues and thus MIGHT.

I had assumed this was what BDeblo was saying, if not supporting. But I may be wrong.

no worries brutha.

get big or get fat trying NaLLa8705's Avatar
    NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    That's a carb-up, not a refeed. A refeed doesn't have to focus on keeping carbs high.
    Care to expand on benefits of a carb up vs refeeds? Benefits? Uses?

A Structured-Refeed does :P
    Follow progress on

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

-Ralph Marston

-Unknown

BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bulking on 4000-5000 calories here, come at me.

Every day is a cheat day.

lulz

donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) donmiller212 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BBqChicken1 View Post

lulz
    lol i am bulking on a little over 4000 cal too, but i still wouldn't consider any of my meals cheat meals.

Originally Posted by BBqChicken1 View Post

lulz
    Originally Posted by donmiller212 View Post
    lol i am bulking on a little over 4000 cal too, but i still wouldn't consider any of my meals cheat meals.
    It woul be DOUBLY sad to see someone actively incorperate a cheat day while bulking ^_^

I could only imagine this happening if someone was purely bro-feeding....you know the type....

Originally Posted by NaLLa8705 View Post
    Care to expand on benefits of a carb up vs refeeds? Benefits? Uses?
    A carb-up or "carb-load" is specifically that: drastically increasing carb intake to supercompensate glycogen storage for better performance in the gym. It is often done as part of Cyclical Ketogenic Diets. The main aspects to a successful carb-load (to maximize glycogen storage) are the duration of the carb-load and the total amount of carbohydrates consumed during this time period. Something like 70% of calories or more should come from starchy carbs, with fat being kept to a minimum.

A refeed is a temporary increase in calories (during a dieting phase) to maintainance or above. Besides the mental break of dieting, it will increase T4 to T3 conversion, TSH, and TRH. These are thyroid hormones which have a direct impact on basal metabolic rate.

A Structured-Refeed does :P
    When I say refeed, it implies that it's structured...otherwise it's a cheat day

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A carb-up or "carb-load" is specifically that: drastically increasing carb intake to supercompensate glycogen storage for better performance in the gym. It is often done as part of Cyclical Ketogenic Diets. The main aspects to a successful carb-load (to maximize glycogen storage) are the duration of the carb-load and the total amount of carbohydrates consumed during this time period. Something like 70% of calories or more should come from starchy carbs, with fat being kept to a minimum.

A refeed is a temporary increase in calories (during a dieting phase) to maintainance or above. Besides the mental break of dieting, it will increase T4 to T3 conversion, TSH, and TRH. These are thyroid hormones which have a direct impact on basal metabolic rate.
    Aren't you just playing with semantics? They should both be set up in a similar fashion as fat does not acutely help with leptin, and also doesn't lend to any of the other hormonal effects in the short term. Couple that with the fact that fat is easily stored in a surplus and I do not see the need for a separation of terms. Unless you've seen research to the contrary...I'd love to see it because I've haven't come across anything.
    "Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy." - Alan Aragon.

Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Basically this. It's a day when I get lazy and say by God I just want a gut full of carbs because it feels so good. It doesn't serve a greater good, but it tastes good.

Originally Posted by SwiftyX View Post
    Aren't you just playing with semantics? They should both be set up in a similar fashion as fat does not acutely help with leptin, and also doesn't lend to any of the other hormonal effects in the short term. Couple that with the fact that fat is easily stored in a surplus and I do not see the need for a separation of terms. Unless you've seen research to the contrary...I'd love to see it because I've haven't come across anything.
    There's some overlap in the "benefits", but they're two different concepts and serve two different purposes. Think about it this way: A carb-up can still be achieved while in a caloric deficit, and a refeed can be done with low to moderate carb intake and still produce the metabolic benefits.

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There's some overlap in the "benefits", but they're two different concepts and serve two different purposes. Think about it this way: A carb-up can still be achieved while in a caloric deficit, and a refeed can be done with low to moderate carb intake and still produce the metabolic benefits.
    That's true depending on the carb intake needed from a glycogen stadpoint. Just clarifying with you hoping to see something I had not yet picked through ad naseum. haha.
    "Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy." - Alan Aragon.

R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50) R31S will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can be called looser day, too.

get big or get fat trying NaLLa8705's Avatar
    NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you Mike

-TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do carb-ups also have the same benefit of "increasing T4 to T3 conversion, TSH, and TRH" or does the overfeeding have to be sustained for longer than a day?

Originally Posted by -TheKingPin- View Post
    Do carb-ups also have the same benefit of "increasing T4 to T3 conversion, TSH, and TRH" or does the overfeeding have to be sustained for longer than a day?
    Yes, if your carb-ups put you in a caloric surplus then definitely.

When I say refeed, it implies that it's structured...otherwise it's a cheat day
    It is beneficial to make sure most of the refeed is carbs though with low fats. Carbs have an impact on helping to normalize leptin / thyroid whereas increasing calories from fats/protein doesn't do much at all, but they do taste good.
    Follow progress on

Currently:
    200bs 13% bf

-Ralph Marston

-Unknown