Registered User longfellowdeeds's Avatar
    longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Yeah another creatine thread

I read stickies and searched the forum to get as much info as I need on it.

Specifically though, I'm 125lbs, up from 109, I've been lifting consistently since December of last year. Somedays I'll goof off and may not get enough protein/calories, will this do harm to my body if I'm taking creatine?

Overall this is what I gathered; take 3g-5g per day any time of the day, Loading is not necessary, take it for about 3 months, drink alot of water?

I plan on buying Optimum Nutrition Creatine Powder (600g)

I've been taking ON's Gold Standard 100% whey and thats it, nothing else, no other supplements

matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000) matt5x5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It will not cause harm to your body.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In case you didn't know some foods also contain creatine (at much lower doses) so you'll be fine

Why 3 months?
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) longfellowdeeds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    In case you didn't know some foods also contain creatine (at much lower doses) so you'll be fine

Why 3 months?
    ok so for every 1 month, take 2 weeks off?

XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am just saying and all here... but....

why not just continuously take creatine.

taking a month off creatine is like saying you need to take a month off of whey.
    Professional Athlete Crew
    Former D1 Athlete Crew
    Bald but dates a dime Crew

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by longfellowdeeds View Post
    ok so for every 1 month, take 2 weeks off?
    Why would you do that?

Do you stop eating red meat, which contains creatine, for two weeks every month?

Originally Posted by XinApoK View Post
    I am just saying and all here... but....

why not just continuously take creatine.

taking a month off creatine is like saying you need to take a month off of whey.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Why would you do that?

Do you stop eating red meat, which contains creatine, for two weeks every month?
    its what i read in the creatine sticky under teen bodybuilding from searching the forum. im 19 btw

ok so ill take it continously, is the creatine i posted from ON just fine?

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When people recommend taking it continuously, you should be dosing it at 3g on workout days ONLY after your initial month at 3-5g/day daily. This is a built-in form of cycling that, in theory, keeps PCr saturated without downregulating natural synthesis mechanisms.

Originally Posted by Mr.Cooper69 View Post
    When people recommend taking it continuously, you should be dosing it at 3g on workout days ONLY after your initial month at 3-5g/day daily. This is a built-in form of cycling that, in theory, keeps PCr saturated without downregulating natural synthesis mechanisms.
    ok ill do that.

i take it that ON's creatine powder is just fine right? didnt get a response on that

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I read stickies and searched the forum to get as much info as I need on it.

Specifically though, I'm 125lbs, up from 109, I've been lifting consistently since December of last year. Somedays I'll goof off and may not get enough protein/calories, will this do harm to my body if I'm taking creatine?

Overall this is what I gathered; take 3g-5g per day any time of the day, Loading is not necessary, take it for about 3 months, drink alot of water?

I plan on buying Optimum Nutrition Creatine Powder (600g)

I've been taking ON's Gold Standard 100% whey and thats it, nothing else, no other supplements
    Wow, there's some crazy advice here OP!

The answer to your first question is no!

If you are not going to load it can take several weeks to reach saturation, for some that can be as long as 6, for others 3-4.

There is no need to cycle as mentioned in others posts, that is old school and never made any sense.

When you do decide to stop taking creatine, assuming supplementation did increase saturation, it can take several weeks for levels to reduce to typical, and your body will resume synthesis just fine.

If you have only worked out since December, then I question your decision to use creatine now. Your body hasn't even made the CNS adjustments, much less engaged in all the hypertrophy responses that are possible. An ergogenic aid such as creatine will best be realized when you have plateaued and need help getting to the next level. Your gains will be such now that you wouldn't know whether creatine actually helped you or not, because for some it doesn't work.

Originally Posted by rand18m View Post
    Wow, there's some crazy advice here OP!

The answer to your first question is no!

If you are not going to load it can take several weeks to reach saturation, for some that can be as long as 6, for others 3-4.

There is no need to cycle as mentioned in others posts, that is old school and never made any sense.

When you do decide to stop taking creatine, assuming supplementation did increase saturation, it can take several weeks for levels to reduce to typical, and your body will resume synthesis just fine.

If you have only worked out since December, then I question your decision to use creatine now. Your body hasn't even made the CNS adjustments, much less engaged in all the hypertrophy responses that are possible. An ergogenic aid such as creatine will best be realized when you have plateaued and need help getting to the next level. Your gains will be such now that you wouldn't know whether creatine actually helped you or not, because for some it doesn't work.
    this has happened.

okay so ill load the first week, take 3-5g everday after until 1 month is complete. after that should i only take it during workout days and when do i stop? how many weeks total am i taking it? or i dont need to stop at all?

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this has happened.

okay so ill load the first week, take 3-5g everday after until 1 month is complete. after that should i only take it during workout days and when do i stop? how many weeks total am i taking it? or i dont need to stop at all?
    Most take it every day for simplicity.

If you have only been working out since December, you haven't come close to a plateau, you need to focus on intensity and a properly designed program.

You can take it how ever long you want, but remember, all creatine does in reality, with regards to your workouts, is give you that extra rep or two. So what we are talking about is added volume over time. This means you will actually see the results months from now, if you think it's sooner, it's placebo!

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    this has happened.

This is correct. Don't use it every day for "simplicity" after the first month. ON is fine.

Also, creatine has far more documented benefits than an increase in strength.

[QUOTE=Mr.Cooper69;855836393]This is correct. Don't use it every day for "simplicity" after the first month. ON is fine.

Why not?

If you know of some side effect I would like to know?

Also is he going to take 2g/day or 5g/day? See my point?

Also, creatine has far more documented benefits than an increase in strength.
    This is correct, the added benefits are just now being discovered, don't be surprised to see recommendations for the elderly to supplement ~2g/day for general benefit, but that is beside the point of this conversation.
    Last edited by rand18m; 03-27-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Most take it every day for simplicity.

If you have only been working out since December, you haven't come close to a plateau, you need to focus on intensity and a properly designed program.

You can take it how ever long you want, but remember, all creatine does in reality, with regards to your workouts, is give you that extra rep or two. So what we are talking about is added volume over time. This means you will actually see the results months from now, if you think it's sooner, it's placebo!
    in OP I said consistently since December. I've had a gym membership since March of last year but I was horrendously inconsistent with my workouts. I believe one month I only went like twice, then the following months it varied from 2-3x a week to none, etc. It wasn't until December I stuck to my routine and started going 3x a week (now 4). So its been almost 4 months consistent.

foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10) foxonwheels is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If this is your first time taking creatine, make sure you have plenty of water handy afterwards as you may find yourself extremely thirsty. Also, monitor your body for discomfort after the first couple times you've taken your creatine. I had nasty stomach cramps when taking 5g of mono, so I switched to Green Magnitude. If the mono works for you or you can ignore any discomfort you might get, then stick with the proven, cheaper mono.

kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Take 3-5 grams a day. No need to load and no need to stop taking it. It's just that simple.

PS: I'd recommend buying Prolab's 1000 gram container. Buying in bulk saves money.

[QUOTE=rand18m;855840513]
    This is correct. Don't use it every day for "simplicity" after the first month. ON is fine.

Why not?

If you know of some side effect I would like to know?

Also is he going to take 2g/day or 5g/day? See my point?

This is correct, the added benefits are just now being discovered, don't be surprised to see recommendations for the elderly to supplement ~2g/day for general benefit, but that is beside the point of this conversation.
    let's see:

1. You save money
    2. You minimize GI issues/bloat
    3. You get identical benefits
    4. You prevent downregulation of endogenous PCr synthesis systems

Given his weight, 3g each day is fine. I don't see your point at all because you don't have one.

Okay thanks guys. 3g-5g per day and after a month I suppose I'll keep going?! got some mixed answers on whether to keep going or not

anyways, so I won't load the first week then. This makes it easier for me because I'm on acne meds and my pharmacist said to seperate it by 4hrs if i'm gonna take creatine, so if I took 20g per day for the first week I would have to take it all within a 4hr period then wait 4hrs to take my acne meds. However idk if shes just playing it safe because I looked it up and other people had no problem with it and there was no interactions between them. But yeah if I decided to load would it be bad if I took 5g for every 1 hour for 4 hours to equal 20g for that day.

[QUOTE=Mr.Cooper69;855909403]

let's see:

1. You save money
    2. You minimize GI issues/bloat
    3. You get identical benefits
    4. You prevent downregulation of endogenous PCr synthesis systems

Given his weight, 3g each day is fine. I don't see your point at all because you don't have one.
    If synthesis isn't down regulated, then you are likely not saturated. You are missing the entire point of saturation. Assuming of course, one is not at full saturation normally, i.e. it doesn't work for some.

I am however not disagreeing with you that you could take it every other day or whatever your recommendation was and still be at your highest level. You're correct, that is likely possible, but the general recommendation for simplicity is to simply take it daily, creatine is not expensive! To each his own though!

agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) agm1984 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    not a single harm will be caused that day

be sure to eat only kosher ham though. i made that mistake once

[QUOTE=rand18m;858051193]

If synthesis isn't down regulated, then you are likely not saturated. You are missing the entire point of saturation. Assuming of course, one is not at full saturation normally, i.e. it doesn't work for some.

I am however not disagreeing with you that you could take it every other day or whatever your recommendation was and still be at your highest level. You're correct, that is likely possible, but the general recommendation for simplicity is to simply take it daily, creatine is not expensive! To each his own though!
    Look, I can get into the specifics if you want, but there is PLENTY of evidence that upstream processes and enzymes will be affected by excessive creatine use, namely CreaT and AGAT. There is simply no reason to dose every day. Not even "simplicity," as if remembering to skip off days won't become habit after one week.

Okay thanks guys. 3g-5g per day and after a month I suppose I'll keep going?! got some mixed answers on whether to keep going or not

anyways, so I won't load the first week then. This makes it easier for me because I'm on acne meds and my pharmacist said to seperate it by 4hrs if i'm gonna take creatine, so if I took 20g per day for the first week I would have to take it all within a 4hr period then wait 4hrs to take my acne meds. However idk if shes just playing it safe because I looked it up and other people had no problem with it and there was no interactions between them. But yeah if I decided to load would it be bad if I took 5g for every 1 hour for 4 hours to equal 20g for that day.
    Response pls

I took 5g today. I just made a protein shake (w/ milk) in my shaker bottle, opened it up and put a spoon of creatine and stirred it. Drank it up. First day taking creatine. I use ON Gold Standard whey btw.

The creatine I bought was micronized ON creatine mono. On the jar it says take it immediately after workout with your protein shake, it also says taking with simple carbs helps improve effectiveness. THEN i looked up online that you should take a protein shake first then 30 mins later take creatine.

so which is it? Should I take it with my protein shake on workout days and with gatorade/grape juice on non workout days?

Look, I can get into the specifics if you want, but there is PLENTY of evidence that upstream processes and enzymes will be affected by excessive creatine use, namely CreaT and AGAT. There is simply no reason to dose every day. Not even "simplicity," as if remembering to skip off days won't become habit after one week.
    I'm interested in seeing it! Also this is dependent on how much you take, not how often, but if you can enlighten me I'm all for it!!

johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnolexa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    so which is it? Should I take it with my protein shake on workout days and with gatorade/grape juice on non workout days?
    I mix it in my protein drink and drink right after working out. On non workout days I take it with 8 ounces chilled water.
    148# class Masters 50-54
    100% RAW Fed.
    Squat 290
    Bench 205
    Deadlift 370

Originally Posted by johnolexa View Post
    I mix it in my protein drink and drink right after working out. On non workout days I take it with 8 ounces chilled water.
    wtf

i mixed with vitamin water today and it just went to the bottom of the glass lol? I stirred it btw. Is it gonna do the same thing if I take with chilled water on an off day?

edit* LOL I searched the forum and it looks like this is a common occurrence. I basically did what others did and put some water in the end and swirled it around and drank it up, but there was still like some creatine residue left in the glass though.

I think Im just gonna put a teaspoon of creatine in my mouth and wash it down after. Is it harder to swallow? I heard