elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat loss nutrition question

I weigh 278 lbs. right now. I don't pay much attention to the calories I consume, but I do consume way less than maintenance levels. I cant afford(financially) to focus too hard on nutrition other than calories, but I want to start trying bulk on an intense deficit. Is it possible to do so on a large deficit? Right now, as far as priorities have it, weight loss > muscle mass, but I would like to be able to fill out a bit to avoid too much loose skin in the coming months.

Or should I save noob gains for when I can really focus and put on some serious weight later on?

kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by elitedlars View Post
    I weigh 278 lbs. right now. I don't pay much attention to the calories I consume, but I do consume way less than maintenance levels. I cant afford(financially) to focus too hard on nutrition other than calories, but I want to start trying bulk on an intense deficit. Is it possible to do so on a large deficit? Right now, as far as priorities have it, weight loss > muscle mass, but I would like to be able to fill out a bit to avoid too much loose skin in the coming months.
    its possible if you believe in miracles. otherwise, us normal earthlings cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time.

QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kullfire View Post
    its possible if you believe in miracles. otherwise, us normal earthlings cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time.
    You 100% can..... Ive been lifting heavy making significant gains while on a deficit. As long as your protein intake is good you can, however to lose drastic weight in a small amount of time sure its one or the other.

Dude in your case I would go on a deficit. At the end of the day your Diet is the most important aspect to losing weight. Thing is a deficit while eating badly won't net the same result as a deficit while eating healthy. You get more energy from good foods and it will help you sustain your deficit for a prolonged period of time. IDC what anyone says you can't eat 2 slices of cheesecake and as long as your under your maintenance drop fat...
    Progress: Getting it back.
    2011 / 2/24: 318 | 6/12: 278 | 9/20: 235 | Holidays LOL
    2012 / 2/24: 220 | 3/28: 212 | 4/17: 205 | 5/15: Recomp Begins
    Summer :

My Motivation - When people tell me I CAN'T do it.

"The only thing that is bullet proof is my Self-Esteem".

moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) moose9045 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Or should I save noob gains for when I can really focus and put on some serious weight later on?
    You cant bulk on a deficit, you need a surplus to do so.
    And if you don't pay attention.. how do you know you eat below maintenance? That's bad for fat loss. Pick a caloric deficit and eat as close to that everyday as possible
    Good luck

elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitedlars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I try to eat as healthy as possible. Lean meats, etc., but I'm 18 y/o college student living at home with parents and it is hard to pay attention to dinner calories/macros because I eat what they make for dinner and don't have the money to do otherwise. So far, the eating change has worked well for me and I am enjoying the food I eat now. I have been on a high deficit(1k+) for a while now and I don't get easily fatigued so I don't think I am starving myself, but it is definitely effective when it comes to losing weight. Basically, I'm not sure it's even worth paying attention to macros yet at my weight, or until the fat is harder to eliminate.

Based on calculations, I think my maintenance levels are exaggerated, due to the fact that I don't have much lean mass to my body.

Originally Posted by moose9045 View Post
    You cant bulk on a deficit, you need a surplus to do so.
    And if you don't pay attention.. how do you know you eat below maintenance? That's bad for fat loss. Pick a caloric deficit and eat as close to that everyday as possible
    Good luck
    I pay attention, just don't count down to the single calories. I have a good idea within 50 kc of what I eat. Luck has nothing to do with it. This is me testing my willpower and determination, and nothing can stop me but myself.

kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by QuotedFive View Post
    You 100% can..... Ive been lifting heavy making significant gains while on a deficit. As long as your protein intake is good you can, however to lose drastic weight in a small amount of time sure its one or the other.

Dude in your case I would go on a deficit. At the end of the day your Diet is the most important aspect to losing weight. Thing is a deficit while eating badly won't net the same result as a deficit while eating healthy. You get more energy from good foods and it will help you sustain your deficit for a prolonged period of time. IDC what anyone says you can't eat 2 slices of cheesecake and as long as your under your maintenance drop fat...
    i honestly feel more dumb after reading your post. everything about it hurts my brain.

I guess I'll just stick to my strategy, and start doing refeeds if I notice a plateau etc.

QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) QuotedFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i honestly feel more dumb after reading your post. everything about it hurts my brain.
    Coming from the guy who said you can't gain lean muscle mass and lose fat at the same time.....

If you can tell me that eating a bunch of fast digesting carbs is better for losing weight rather than eating protein, w/ moderated slow carb intake then w.e.

OP Honestly do whatever works for you. I did mine through college I feel you. Good luck brotha!
    Last edited by QuotedFive; 04-05-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Summer :

Originally Posted by QuotedFive View Post
    Coming from the guy who said you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.....
    not unless you're a newbie which the OP isn't.

Op is a huge newbie. Soon as I find a job, I'll be able to focus more on specific levels of carbs/protein/fat and stuff, just gonna go for it and keep posting on here every once in a while. Thanks for the advice people.

not unless you're a newbie which the OP isn't.
    But sure when your really pushing for one or the other, as in either extreme, sure I understand where your coming from.

Keep your goal in mind, Temptation in college is a b**ch lol
    Summer :

Temptation used to get me, but I've changed. I've never been so determined to do anything in my life before, and I am serious about this. Its time to change my life... knowing that I can be somewhat fit before the age of 20 just makes me want to do it more than most people can imagine. 18 lbs and going harder than ever.

PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PepPete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I pay attention, just don't count down to the single calories. I have a good idea within 50 kc of what I eat. Luck has nothing to do with it. This is me testing my willpower and determination, and nothing can stop me but myself.
    how do you keep it within 50kcal? without weighting everything?

Originally Posted by PepPete View Post
    how do you keep it within 50kcal? without weighting everything?
    I don't eat much meat and I eat too many packaged foods.