JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50)

FS, bb row, DL, C&J form check

Hey guys, I filmed my last sesh, I would appreciate as much advice as how I could improve my form, especially on dl (tried to max out) and c&j.
    Also, I only started benching recently, would a bigger chest help me with front squats (for bar resting)?

My current bw is 65kg, with <10%bf (Calipers say 4%, but that doesn't seem even remotely right to me)

Thanks.

ED: thanks jammy for the embed guideline, can't believe I missed the obvious
    Last edited by JKub; 04-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Gadio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gadio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gadio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gadio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gadio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gadio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't do other exercises so I can comment only on deadlift - put the damn bar on the ground. It's not deadlift if you're not lifting dead weight.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Watched the C&J because I figured that would be most interesting.

1. Your back is rounding on the first pull for several of your attempts. And your arms are loose when you start the first pull.
    2. The bar is several inches in front of your body went you initiated the second pull.
    3. A full clean is supposed to be caught in a full squat. You catch your clean in a quarter squat (power clean), then drop down into a squat. That's not a clean, that a power clean followed by a squat.
    4. You're pressing out your jerks.

Also, are you lifting in socks?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^^^ Yeah, that. The C&Js... aren't.

Also, the DL is horrible, once you start to add more weight. Rounded back is not a good thing, and the whole movement doesn't look like a DL to begin with (after a few weight additions or so). And yeah, try dead stop DLs instead.

Likewise, the BOR either reveals the weakness of your lower back (if that's the case) or simply poor form. Possibly both. Whichever, rounded back again. Well, sort of all over the place. It should be "locked", as per DLs (more or less).

I don't think the FS was as bad, but then, I don't do them, so who knows... it seems your back wants to round, once again, but - from a quick view - I don't think it did, or if so, not very much.

Are you doing an actual program of any kind, with progression inbuilt or assumed (and followed)?

JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50) JKub will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks all so far!

DL - I realised the back is rounding only after recording myself. 70kg still feels very light, but it's also the last one where my back doesn't round. Should I stick with that weight and do more reps?

Socks - I had to this time only, the janitor was moping the floor and it gets slippery when I'm barefoot

Clean - Do you mean I'm not meant to try and lift the bar above my chest at all, and just drop straight under?

Jerks - How much of an initial impulse from the legs is allowed? I can't imagine dropping under the bar without any arm press help at all.

BOR - Same as DL, lighter weight, more reps?

Program - heavy compound lifts, try 3x5, then add weight the next time. 1-2 a week

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JKub View Post
    Clean - Do you mean I'm not meant to try and lift the bar above my chest at all, and just drop straight under?
    Yes. A clean is caught in a full squat.

Originally Posted by JKub
    Jerks - How much of an initial impulse from the legs is allowed? I can't imagine dropping under the bar without any arm press help at all.
    The entire lift is done with the legs. You are not allowed to press out the weight at all. You lift would not count in an Olympic meet if you use any pressing at all to get the weight over head. You use leg drive and drop under the bar. The arms simply lock out overhead.

Thanks man, it makes more sense now why some catch the jerk in a squat than a split as well

why some catch the jerk in a squat than a split as well
    It's a personal choice. Split jerk is the more popular technique today. In the past, weight lifters often caught cleans and snatches in a split as well. As you can see in the video, it's possible for a weight lifter to be quite successful using a power jerk in the C&J.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Only watched the DL video right now. Also skipped to 1:54. Saw what is apparently the 90kg and 100kg sets.

Terrible.

You have your back nice and arched and tight and then right before you start, you round the piss out of it.

Then your lockout is not locked out.

Then you do that annoying thing where when you go to lower the bar, you bend your legs first and ride the bar down your thighs.

Lockout: http://www.dieselsc.com/cool-deadlif...-the-deadlift/

When it comes to lowering the bar, reverse the motion you used to get it up. (i.e. initiate at the hips until the bar clears your knees, then bend your legs to lower it down).
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I watched the BB row.

Drop your hips lower, your back has a weird angle. Your hips are higher than your shoulders. Your back should be horizontal, or at least, your hips a littler lower than your shoulders, not the opposite.

Lock your back in an arched position. You dont keep your core thight enough and your form is breaking down through the movement. You are wasting a lot a stabilization and power. Stick your butt out and your chest up and keep them in this position. Keep everything tight. Really focus on keeping an arched in your back so you dont loose it.

Then pull the bar and hit your chest. Then lower the bar on the ground. Dont raise your hips between every reps. Just exhale, inhale, tight everything up again and pull the bar.

Watch your BB row again, and see how "flexible" your spine is. I mean, it deforms to follow the bar. It is like an unvolontary cheat. I was doing the same. Drop your hips, accentuate your back arch and keep everything tight. Sticking your butt out will automatically drop your hips and keeping your chest up and lock in this position will keep your back tight.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

Thanks all. Will get on it on my next sesh. One last bump for feedback on FS.

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks all. Will get on it on my next sesh. One last bump for feedback on FS.
    Your grip seems right.

You could maybe take a wider stance if you want to. You dont have to be so narrow.

The major mistake I see is your butt wink. When you go too deep, your hips move backward and cause your back to collapse. Dont go so deep as long as you are not flexible enough. Stop before your butt wink, stretch everyday and work progressively on your depth.

Because this butt wink is ruining your FS. When your hips move, you lose your back arch and since the FS is strongly core dependent (usually, you fail a FS because your back isnt strong enough, not because your legs arent strong enough)...you fail your FS. Can you see how hard it is for your back once the form is broken?

My advice would be, reduce your ROM (dont go ATG, maybe parallele or a little deeper) and stretch everyday to improve your flexibility.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg