Thread: No Thyroid

smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No Thyroid

Ok. In high school I got my thyroid "killed" with radioactive iodine due to issues I had with it for several years, and now take synthetic thyroid hormone every day since mine doesn't function. I know it's best to eat every few hours to boost your metabolism, but since I do not have a functioning thyroid, does that mean eating every few hours will have no effect on my metabolism (since the thyroid controls metabolism)? And that the only way to control my metabolism is by taking my meds to regulate the hormones? Anyone have any idea? Or does eating every few hours still boost my metabolism?

Thanks!!

kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by smythcl1 View Post
    I know it's best to eat every few hours to boost your metabolism,
    hows it feel thinking you know something completely wrong?

smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smythcl1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kullfire View Post
    How's it feel to have nothing better to do than try to tear people down? I'm not claiming to know anything, I'm asking for beneficial input.

kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kullfire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How's it feel to have nothing better to do than try to tear people down? I'm not claiming to know anything, I'm asking for beneficial input.
    i gave you just that... i informed you what you think you know is wrong. you're welcome.

i gave you just that... i informed you what you think you know is wrong. you're welcome.
    Not really, try harder next time. I didn't get a lot of benefit from that but I hope that at least you're entertaining yourself.

ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmackcarter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How about try and be helpful instead?

smythcl1, meal frequency doesn't have the effect on metabolism as was once or still is being preached. You are better served focusing on your overall caloric and nutrient intake, depending on your goals. Beyond that, sorry I do not have specific advice for your condition.

Thank you! I appreciate the input.

TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheMerch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Meal time is irrelevant regardless of whether you have a thyroid or are on synthetic hormones. Take your meds and follow the standard dietary advice given in the stickies.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok. In high school I got my thyroid "killed" with radioactive iodine due to issues I had with it for several years, and now take synthetic thyroid hormone every day since mine doesn't function. I know it's best to eat every few hours to boost your metabolism, but since I do not have a functioning thyroid, does that mean eating every few hours will have no effect on my metabolism (since the thyroid controls metabolism)? And that the only way to control my metabolism is by taking my meds to regulate the hormones? Anyone have any idea? Or does eating every few hours still boost my metabolism?

Thanks!!
    Meal timing make no difference to metabolism. I also don't see your thyroid issue being a big problem for metabolism either if it is being properly managed with synthetic thyroid hormone.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

No, I don't really have a problem with my metabolism or my thyroid issue since I do have the meds, just trying to maximize it and had been under the impression that eating every few hours helped to increase metabolism. Thanks!

nikeduck23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ((((((((((((((((( im gonna get to you in a very nice tone before some people get in here...and absolutely obliterate this thread lol. Eating every few hours means nothing. Calorie deficit = calorie deficit. I eat all my calories at 8 at night , go to bed at 11pm-12pm...and lose the same weight. Meal placement matters 0%. its termed "broscience" here.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    .............................. R.I.P...................................
    .............Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian............
    .............. ₪₪₪₪₪₪1989-2011₪₪₪₪₪₪₪...............
    .▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

rehughe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah...it doesn't matter. Just count your calories and stay under maintenance....

mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks!!
    Getting your thyroid medicine right is more important than how often you eat, imo. I was working out like crazy, eating very little, and my weight loss was stalled. My doc adjusted my levo by 25 micrograms (100 to 125) and it was like turning on a magic metabolism button. Since he adjusted the meds I've lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks, even without working out due to illness. Getting that medicine level right is the important part.

I don't know about the eating often part, some people here dispute that stuff. Having these thyroid problems has shown me that little chemistry changes can affect how your body works bigtime, it's not always just a matter of calories in vs calories out. People with thyroid issues also often have insulin sensitivity, and carb issues and other food allergies/sensitivities also. You have to figure out what works best for your body. I have a physical job and I eat often through the day to keep my energy up, I don't know if that has anything to do with my metabolism though.

You should do some research on the T3 and T4 hormone levels, and getting tested for the free levels of those hormones in your body. Sometimes your body doesn't convert from t4 to t3 and you also might need to take a t3 supplement as well, although that is some what debatable as well. Like I said, you have to do some adjusting and see what works best for your body. Having a good doctor that knows their thyroid stuff is important too.

Been miscing for to long idreamofnumber1's Avatar
    idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) idreamofnumber1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    your medication should be regulating your thyroid levels to that of a normal person.... so the answer to your question is yes it would still work for you. But like said above its pretty much a myth that meal frequency speeds up metabalism but meal frequency does matter when it comes to energy levels and keeping your strength up i've noticed. Which could lead to you being more active-> burning more calories---> greater fat loss