iosowns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein and Beginners

Let me start by saying I love this website, truly an awesome resource to have.

Anyways, I'm currently 23 years old 6'2 190 lbs. I spent all last year running to lose fat and I did by dropping from 210-180(which I had maintained quite easily up until recently), this resulted in the skinny/flabby look. I've never weight trained in my life and thus after a month since I've started I am benching 65lbs and curling 20's to give you an idea of my current physical state. Since I've started working out I've gained weight (+10lbs to the current 190), and not in the sense I was hoping. Clothes are tighter, specifically jeans, etc. I've been taking 150-190grams of protein everyday even off days and 100grams has been from whey (ON Gold - Morning, post workout, before bed as advised by a friend). I'm trying to transform my body from the flabby/skinny look, but I feel like something is wrong here and my only guess is its the protein, any advice on protein intake for a beginner? Is this too much? Also my diet has been maintained under 2200cal/day and I eat generally healthy with my off day being once a week for pizza. Otherwise pretty much everyday I eat the same, breakfast=kashi cereal and a banana, lunch=chicken sandwich on whole wheat (no mayo) and maybe another banana/chobani) and dinner=lean meat with veggies. I usually have 2 other snacks per day which I try to keep under 300cals (bagel, another chobani, banana, nuts). I'm a picky eater so salads arent an options and I find cottage cheese disgusting, like I mentioned earlier I had no problem maintaining 180 without strict diet, but since I've started training and consuming protein I feel fatter, advice?

Also I read somewhere casein is a bad idea for beginners, opinions?
    Last edited by iosowns; 04-03-2012 at 10:49 PM.

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Walloftext/10

Nutrition is nutrition, beginner or otherwise (assuming natty, as opposed to dat dare).

Read the stickies, the nutritional/calorie/macro/etc guidelines are applicable to all experience levels.
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

[IIFYM/Flexible Dieting Crew] - It ain't that hard dummy..

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide

keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey, i can totally relate,

The same happened to me i was running, walking, cycling and lost 44 lbs, i was 231 lbs to 187lbs.

Now i am about 225 lbs.

But let me get to your protein intake, For optimal weight control, The leaner protein of them all is Whey Protein Isolate. Whey Protein isolate has the least amount of fat and carbs and is the most purest form of whey.

So i would suggest Whey Protein Isolate if you are worried about gaining weight on protein.

Your Diet Is Good.

But dont have an off day, its not that hard i went 3 or 4months eating healthy with no cheat day, i was vegetarian for 1month which shifted tons of weight.

So i recommend not to have pizza, its pretty simple, your diet is fine, but then you have pizza, i know that one pizza a week is nothing but if your putting on weight or feeling fatter then just go without a pizza and see the difference?

And try whey protein isolate..

Good Luck

*Also, i am no nutrition expert i am just giving simple advice from my experience with weight loss and weight gain, and using common sense to think why you are gaining weight and feeling fat when you eat so healthy*

dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by keeronv View Post
    Hey, i can totally relate,

The same happened to me i was running, walking, cycling and lost 44 lbs, i was 231 lbs to 187lbs.

Now i am about 225 lbs.

But let me get to your protein intake, For optimal weight control, The leaner protein of them all is Whey Protein Isolate. Whey Protein isolate has the least amount of fat and carbs and is the most purest form of whey.

So i would suggest Whey Protein Isolate if you are worried about gaining weight on protein.

Your Diet Is Good.

But dont have an off day, its not that hard i went 3 or 4months eating healthy with no cheat day, i was vegetarian for 1month which shifted tons of weight.

So i recommend not to have pizza, its pretty simple, your diet is fine, but then you have pizza, i know that one pizza a week is nothing but if your putting on weight or feeling fatter then just go without a pizza and see the difference?

And try whey protein isolate..

Good Luck

*Also, i am no nutrition expert i am just giving simple advice from my experience with weight loss and weight gain, and using common sense to think why you are gaining weight and feeling fat when you eat so healthy*
    I probably wouldnt listen to any of that, and stick to reading the stickies for accurate nutritional information.
    04-09 usmc
    07-08 Operation Iraqi Freedom
    MWSB 372

For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat 4.

Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fluxite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dimmupelto View Post
    I probably wouldnt listen to any of that, and stick to reading the stickies for accurate nutritional information.
    This

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    +2 to this.

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide

keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10) keeronv is on a distinguished road. (+10)

i am not giving him complex nutrional information..

i am saying whey protein isolate has less fat and carbs.. which every single professional body builder has told me ?? so....... if they are wrong the its my fault .. i mean who can i listen to for advice if professional body builders are saying whey protein isolate has less fat then im gonna believe it does if nearly everyone says so, i dont have time to research every littile thing.. i think people would be honest and if they say whey isolate has less fat then it does have less fat,, so if he feels fat after drinking other protein why not try a different one ?

and the other thing i said was try skip eating a pizza if you feel fat.. i mean its common sense.. i feel fatter so im going to skip a heavy meal or snack like pizza.. and maybe i wont feel as fat .

i said go without the pizza and see the difference .. i didnt say YOU ARE GOING TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE SO GO WITHOUT THE PIZZA NOW!!!!!.

i said go without the pizza to see if there is a difference on how he is feeling. maybe he wont feel fatter...

i give advice i tell them i am no expert, its not bad advice he's not going to die or waste money by skipping a pizza..

hes not going to waste money on whey isolate because you can buy a sample for 99pence and see the difference, im making suggestions, not giving orders

you dont need accurate nutritional information, if you feel fat skip eating a pizza, its common sense ... pizzas are classed as junk food with tonnes of calories unless you make one yourself with healthy ingredients but he said its his cheat day or day off so its likely going to be a ''junk food'' pizza...

i told him eating a pizza once a week for a cheat meal is not such a big deal, but if your feeling fatter skip it to determine if its the pizza making you feel fat...

or change protein to determine if its the current protein making him feel fat

maybe i should of said cancel out some of his diet to determine whats making him feel fat.. but i just thought skipping one pizza to see if u feel any better would be worth a try

im trying to help him out instead of just telling him to read a sticky which they do have the best info on here, im just trying to see what he thinks

but i know i could of elaborated in to how much protein he should take a day etc as he asked about how much he should be taking is he taking too much etc..

i only suggested 2 things

to skip pizza once

or to try a different protein so he doesnt feel as fat . im not gonna tell him how much to take each day because ill let an expert suggest things like that im only suggesting to skip one pizza and try whey isolate ..
    Last edited by keeronv; 04-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Originally Posted by keeronv View Post

i am not giving him nutrional information..

i am saying whey protein isolate has less fat and carbs..

and try skip eating a pizza if you feel fat..
    Calories in vs calories out. If you can fit a pizza into your daily caloric/macro limit, it won't make you fat.

Also, correlation =/= causation, don't just give advice/recommendations based on a hunch.

[Former 300+ Crew]

and somebody already told him to read the stickies so i didnt say read the stickies again.. i just thought skippin a pizza would help him feel less fatter. and suggested trying whey isolate

he was taking 150- 190 grams of protein a day and his bodyweight is 190lbs and thats equivalent to 1lb of bodyweight to 1gram of protein or less which most people say about 1.5 x your bodyweight if your with me .. so i thought hes not consuming more than he should so i suggested to try whey protein isolate

Originally Posted by mattypoole View Post
    Calories in vs calories out. If you can fit a pizza into your daily caloric/macro limit, it won't make you fat.

Also, correlation =/= causation, don't just give advice/recommendations based on a hunch.
    okay, i totally agree with you...

Originally Posted by mattypoole View Post

i know , i didnt say it would make him fat and im not trying to argue, and i like your input and your views and you replying to me..so dont get the wrong idea about me loool

he just said he feels fatter ''but since I've started training and consuming protein I feel fatter, advice?'' so i thought eating a pizza can make you ''FEEL'' fatter .. not actually make you fat..

maybe i took the ''FEEL FATTER'' in the wrong context... he could of meant within his stomach fatter where you feel abit heavy or over eaten. or he feels fatter physically .. or he looks in the mirror and feels fatter..

maybe i should of asked him to elaborate before giving my input

but i thought skippin a pizza could make him feel less fatter in the context i took it in ..

and then try whey isolate not because its contains less fat than concentrate but it could just make him ''FEEL'' less fatter also in the context i took it in ..

ill wait before i give advice next time
    Last edited by keeronv; 04-04-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling mistake