T11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post beginner needs some advice

hello everyone,

am new here, i asked my brother for some work-out tips and he gave me this site.

anyway,

i am about 6feet tall (183cm) and i weigh 156lb (71Kg)

i know i am skinny and i am tring to gain some weight.

i started working out about 1 year ago (i weighted 138 lb that time) after 2 months i stoped because i had a scholarship to the united states.

i started working out again about 2 weeks ago.

this is what do during the week :

1) cheats/biceips
    2) back/sholders
    3) break
    4) legs/triceps/forearm
    5) cheats/biceips
    6) back/sholders
    7) break

i am tring to gain more weight something around 187lb (85Kg)

i usually eat 3 meals a day

morning) kornflakes *with milk of course*
    at 2 pm) plate of rice with chicken/meat
    at 9 pm) plate of rice with chicken/meat

befor working out (sometimes after working out) i drink whey protein.

i know it is missed up and kinda weird

so can anyone steer me in the right direction please ?

by the way i am 22 years old *dose that help in any way *
    Last edited by T11; 07-10-2003 at 11:04 PM.

PSUPOWER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drop that routine IMHO and stick to a basic 3 day split, say the following..

Monday-Squats 5 x 5 or 20 Reppers

Wednesday-Flat Bench 5 x 5

Friday-Deadlift 5 x 5

Pick two/three assistant lifts following one of the powerlift's, like the following..

On your WED workout, say Flat Bench/Incline Barbell/Push-Press or Seated Military Press/Close-Grip Bench or Weighted Dip's..

Then on Friday, following Deadlifts, u may want to do either Power or Hang Cleans and then end w/ Barbell Rows..

Same w/ Monday, following Squats, u may want to do either some heavy leg-presses or barbell lunges and then end w/ some hamstring work!!!

Bottom line, stick w/ the BASIC lifts, only squats, deadlifts, cleans, presses, chin's and dip's..

DIET, well keep it simple also, a good moderation of fats, carbs and protein spread over 4 to 6 meals daily..Since u are trying to GAIN WEIGHT, just EAT, and no knit-picking..

younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: biggner needs some advice

Originally posted by T11
    hello everyone,

am new here, i asked my brother for some work-out tips and he gave me this site.

anyway,

i am about 6feet tall (183cm) and i weigh 156lb (71Kg)

i know i am skinny and i am tring to gain some weight.

i started working out about 1 year ago (i weighted 138 lb that time) after 2 months i stoped because i had a scholarship to the united states.

i started working out again about 2 weeks ago.

this is what do during the week :

1) cheats/biceips
    2) back/sholders
    3) break
    4) legs/triceps/forearm
    5) cheats/biceips
    6) back/sholders
    7) break

i am tring to gain more weight something around 187lb (85Kg)

i usually eat 3 meals a day

morning) kornflakes *with milk of course*
    at 2 pm) plate of rice with chicken/meat
    at 9 pm) plate of rice with chicken/meat

befor working out (sometimes after working out) i drink whey protein.

i know it is missed up and kinda weird

so can anyone steer me in the right direction please ?

by the way i am 22 years old *dose that help in any way *
    you have too eat more then that. Your carb sources should be low gi (like oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, grain products, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, etc). Avoid foods with a High gi like cornflakes, sugar cereals, white bread, white pasta, white potaties, white rice, etc. have you whey protein shake AFTER your workout when your body needs it the most. Before your wrorkout (around 45-60 mimnutes), have some complex carbs (like oatmeal) and some protein. IF your an ectomorph, i suggest you start eating around 20 times your bodyweight n calories. BUmb up protein to at least 1.2 grams per pound.

as for that split, you are training tooo much, and since you arent getting enough food as it is too recover and your an ectomorph, i think its safe to say your overtrianing (there is such a thing). But its good to see your atleat training your legs.

Doing those days only once a week will be fine. AFter the workout have some whey protein and dextrose and/or maltodextrin for an insulin spike.

thank you guys for the posts,

i understood what you said about the food part. and i understood alittle bit about the work-out part.

what do you mean by (5 x 5 or 20 Reppers) ?

sorry i am new to this stuff , besides english is not my first language.

anyway, this is what i do for each muscle:

cheats:
    1- barbell Bench Press
    2- barbell Incline Bench Press
    3- dumbbell Bench Press
    4- dumbbell Incline Bench Press
    5- dumbbell pullover
    6- Pec Deck Fly

back:
    1- cable Front Pulldown
    2- cable Seated Row
    3- lever Incline Row
    4- lever Seated Row
    5- dumbbell Bent-over Row

biceps:
    1- Dumbbell Curl
    2- Dumbbell Concentration Curl
    3- Barbell Curl
    4- Lever Preacher Curl
    5- Cable Curl

triceps:
    1- Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension
    2- Dumbbell Triceps Extension
    3- Cable Pushdown
    4- Lever Triceps Extension
    5- Barbell Lying Triceps Extension

forearm:
    1- Barbell Wrist Curl

sholders:
    1- Smith Shoulder Press
    2- Dumbbell Front Raise
    3- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
    4- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    5- Dumbbell Row (with elbows out)

legs:
    1- 45° Leg Press
    2- Lever Leg Extension
    3- Smith Squat
    4- Smith Rear Lunge
    5- Lever Seated Calf Extension
    6- Lever Standing Calf Raise

uh, tired from copying and pasteing from this site :
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    Last edited by T11; 07-10-2003 at 12:11 PM.

younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) younglifter13 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by T11
    thank you guys for the posts,

i understood what you said about the food part. and i understood alittle bit about the work-out part.

what do you mean by (5 x 5 or 20 Reppers) ?

sorry i am new to this stuff , besides english is not my first language.

anyway, this is what i do for each muscle:

cheats:
    1- barbell Bench Press
    2- barbell Incline Bench Press
    3- dumbbell Bench Press
    4- dumbbell Incline Bench Press
    5- dumbbell pullover
    6- Pec Deck Fly

back:
    1- cable Front Pulldown
    2- cable Seated Row
    3- lever Incline Row
    4- lever Seated Row
    5- dumbbell Bent-over Row

biceps:
    1- Dumbbell Curl
    2- Dumbbell Concentration Curl
    3- Barbell Curl
    4- Lever Preacher Curl
    5- Cable Curl

triceps:
    1- Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension
    2- Dumbbell Triceps Extension
    3- Cable Pushdown
    4- Lever Triceps Extension
    5- Barbell Lying Triceps Extension

forearm:
    1- Barbell Wrist Curl

sholders:
    1- Smith Shoulder Press
    2- Dumbbell Front Raise
    3- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
    4- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    5- Dumbbell Row (with elbows out)

legs:
    1- 45° Leg Press
    2- Lever Leg Extension
    3- Smith Squat
    4- Smith Rear Lunge
    5- Lever Seated Calf Extension
    6- Lever Standing Calf Raise

uh, tired from copying and pasteing from this site :
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    theres an exercsie called 20 rep squats where you pick a weight you can normally squat 10 times, but you do it 20 times. ITs possible, once you get up to 10 reps, after each rep you breath more, and wait an extra second or two before doing another rep (always keep the weight on your shoulders).

HOLY CRAP! thats a lot of volume in your workout. HOw many sets for each?

heres a good split based on how you workout:
    chest/biceps/forearms:
    flat bench press 3x6-8
    incline dumbell bench press 3x6-8
    pek dek fly 3x6-8
    barbell curls 3x6-8
    preacher curls 3x6-8
    wrist curls 2x8-10
    reverse wrsit curls 2x8-10

back/shoulders:
    bent over barbell rows 3x6-8
    deadlifts 4x6-8 (A MUST!)
    pullups (not chinups) 3x6-8
    barbell or dumbell military press 3x6-8
    lateral raises 2x6-8
    bent over lateral raises 2x6-8

legs/triceps:
    barbell squats 4 x6-8 (A MUST!)
    stiff legged deadlifts 3x6-8 (A MUST!)
    45° Leg Press 2x6-8
    leg curls 2x6-8
    lying tricep extensions 3x6-8
    close-grip bench press 3x6-8
    calf raises 3x12

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by younglifter13
    theres an exercsie called 20 rep squats where you pick a weight you can normally squat 10 times, but you do it 20 times. ITs possible, once you get up to 10 reps, after each rep you breath more, and wait an extra second or two before doing another rep (always keep the weight on your shoulders).

HOLY CRAP! thats a lot of volume in your workout. HOw many sets for each?

heres a good split based on how you workout:
    chest/biceps/forearms:
    flat bench press 3x6-8
    incline dumbell bench press 3x6-8
    pek dek fly 3x6-8
    barbell curls 3x6-8
    preacher curls 3x6-8
    wrist curls 2x8-10
    reverse wrsit curls 2x8-10

back/shoulders:
    bent over barbell rows 3x6-8
    deadlifts 4x6-8 (A MUST!)
    pullups (not chinups) 3x6-8
    barbell or dumbell military press 3x6-8
    lateral raises 2x6-8
    bent over lateral raises 2x6-8

legs/triceps:
    barbell squats 4 x6-8 (A MUST!)
    stiff legged deadlifts 3x6-8 (A MUST!)
    45° Leg Press 2x6-8
    leg curls 2x6-8
    lying tricep extensions 3x6-8
    close-grip bench press 3x6-8
    calf raises 3x12
    much better off following this fartoo much overtraining in the previous routine...

lift hard, recover harder Iron Rain's Avatar
    Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO, your routine is a little redundant. 33 lifts??? I've gotten scalded by those who know more than me for working 8 lifts at once! You should take out the machines, cables, isolation and whatnot, add more compound big lifts, and do more volume for the compound lifts. Less is very often more.

Chest - take out the pec deck. I don't know what dumbbell pullovers are, but 2 or 3 of those main lifts will suffice.

Back - take EVERY SINGLE ONE of those out of there except for DB bentover rows! Add deadlifts, power cleans, power snatch, pullups. Maybe not all of those, but 2 or 3 of those.

Biceps - all you really need here is to do high volume chins. I did high volume chin routines, such as 10+ sets of 5, on the chin assist machine (used that to offset some weight because I could not complete a whole chin at the time) for a month, and my biceps got relatively huge. If you want a picture of a chinner's big biceps check out http://ih8chu.tripod.com/IMG11.jpg (or .JPG if that doesn't work) and find the guy with the POW/MIA shirt and the gray flame beanie. That's Mike Mahler. His biceps are unmistakeably huge - bigger than they look on his website and on BB.com, because those are old pics, I think. He does not do curls at all - he does chins and bentover rows, and those are all the bicep work he needs.

Triceps - dips, dips, dips. Those will work your triceps more than any isolation exercise. Bench press, incline bench, push presses, military press, DB Arnold, and dumbbell versions of all of the above are also good for triceps.

Forearms - try doing a good chin workout and follow it with a good deadlift workout or power clean workout, especially clean grip deadlifts. This will smoke the HELL out of your forearms.

Shoulders - power clean, push press, power snatch, military press.

Legs - do REAL squats (no smith crap). Do walking lunges while carrying weights. Those two, done with a high workload together, will make walking a tough venture the next morning! LOL
    WriterParty.com - Start writing articles and making money for it, right now!

ATTENTION: bodybuilding and lifting articles wanted. Reps to anybody who contributes - if you write one or more, PM me and remind me that it's you.

ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i wouldn't recommend a powerlifting style workout like PSUPOWER did. since you're skinny and you don't have much experience with BBs, it wouldn't be the right momemt for that IMO.

i pretty much agree to Iron Rain exept i'd recommend some sets of heavy BB curls for biceps and JM press for triceps along with the dips.
    S T R A I G H T W A Y

BF 11% ▪ BI 14,5" ▪ TH 23,6" ▪ CHEST 43,5" ▪ WAIST 30,3" ▪ DEADLIFT 220x5 ▪ OH SQUAT 3x110x4 ▪ BENCH 220 ▪ CHINS 66 ▪ DIPS 105 ▪ NO JUICE ▪ NO SUPPS ▪ NO GEAR

take that f u c kin belt off!!!

Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Rain has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BB curls would be a good icing if he has anything left after the chins, but after my chin workouts my arms were so dead that I couldn't even do power snatches!

What is a JM press again?

ATTENTION: bodybuilding and lifting articles wanted. Reps to anybody who contributes - if you write one or more, PM me and remind me that it's you.

Originally posted by Iron Rain
    BB curls would be a good icing if he has anything left after the chins, but after my chin workouts my arms were so dead that I couldn't even do power snatches!

close grip bench press but you dont go all the way down or something . halfway down it hink you go.

Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000)

I don't know what dumbbell pullovers are
    then you shouldn't be giving this guy any advice

Originally posted by Scar
    then you shouldn't be giving this guy any advice
    Just because I don't know what ONE lift is doesn't mean I know nothing about weight training. I don't know what the hell the Thor Hammer Strength Preacher Cable Hammer Concentration Isolated Machine Pump Curls and crap like that are either, but I know enough to know how to give good advice to people who are going nowhere in their routines.

And anyways, I have now checked out what a dumbbell pullover is. Doesn't look very worthwhile to me, and if my weightlifting coach (one of the best coaches in the world, US Women's Olympic coach Mike Burgener) didn't talk about it at all in the 3 years that I took his class, then it probably isn't that much to write home about.

alot of good info.

i would go with younglifter13's split. beasides Iron Rain advice. and i'll do it monday, wednesday, and friday.

but no one talked about abs ?!

someone told me not to do any abs until i gain some weight, because if i did abs in the begining i won't be able to eat enough!

two more things,

what is the difference between chin-up and pull-up ?

some of you guys said (IMO) many times, what does it stand for?

A pullup is with your palms facing forward. A chin is with your palms facing toward you.

Originally posted by T11
    alot of good info.

i would go with younglifter13's split. beasides Iron Rain advice. and i'll do it monday, wednesday, and friday.

but no one talked about abs ?!

someone told me not to do any abs until i gain some weight, because if i did abs in the begining i won't be able to eat enough!

two more things,

what is the difference between chin-up and pull-up ?

some of you guys said (IMO) many times, what does it stand for?
    if you think there is too much volume, feel free to suerpset some exercises.

ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ferbie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

here's a nice video that shows JM press:
    http://www.joeskopec.com/joeskopecjm.mpg
    S T R A I G H T W A Y

BF 11% ▪ BI 14,5" ▪ TH 23,6" ▪ CHEST 43,5" ▪ WAIST 30,3" ▪ DEADLIFT 220x5 ▪ OH SQUAT 3x110x4 ▪ BENCH 220 ▪ CHINS 66 ▪ DIPS 105 ▪ NO JUICE ▪ NO SUPPS ▪ NO GEAR

take that f u c kin belt off!!!