ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100)

Lifting light weights for boxing

Hello guys, i was wondering if using lightweight high reps , will help me delevop my condition in boxing, like making my muscles harder(not bigger), like really hard and tight powerfull muscles , which can use them without slowing me down.
    In combat sports like boxe, ppl do most of bodyweight exercises, heavy lifting will not increase punch power and will only slow down my agility which i need it by the way.

Can someone tell me what kind of workouts can i do with lightweights to my phyisique harder,tighter and more resistant to punches and stuff ???

TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheOG1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ZeroWeiss View Post
    Hello guys, i was wondering if using lightweight high reps , will help me delevop my condition in boxing, like making my muscles harder(not bigger), like really hard and tight powerfull muscles , which can use them without slowing me down.
    In combat sports like boxe, ppl do most of bodyweight exercises, heavy lifting will not increase punch power and will only slow down my agility which i need it by the way.

Can someone tell me what kind of workouts can i do with lightweights to my phyisique harder,tighter and more resistant to punches and stuff ???
    I suggest you look up "Achieve Speed and Power In Boxing". It's a titleboxing dvd that deals with what it says in the title. You can find it on the internet if you catch my drift.

The workouts it suggest is using 2-5 lb dumbells and doing like fast standing chest flies (like in a boxing stance) and other movements that resemble actual punches.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lifting heavy weights doesn't make you slow.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Zero: Who is telling you that lifting heavy will make you slow?

ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100) ZeroWeiss is not very well liked. (-100)
    by getting more muscle mass in my arms, which lifting heavy increase it quickly, i will loose my punch speed and endurance,which will f**k me up.
    That could be good in sports which i could do submissions and chokes and things like that, but in sports like boxing, loosing that agility for muscle
    is completly shooting myself in the foot...

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    by getting more muscle mass in my arms, which lifting heavy increase it quickly, i will loose my punch speed and endurance,which will f**k me up.
    That could be good in sports which i could do submissions and chokes and things like that, but in sports like boxing, loosing that agility for muscle
    I'm dropping weight for my fight, I'm lifting heavy and my speed is going up. Lift.

yeah but you aint gaining mass bcs u r probably a ectomorph,by other words a hard gainer

rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rammstein2k is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you want to improve agility and speed then Olympic lifting would be most beneficial

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Zero: You still haven't said where you learned that lifting heavy will slow you down. Power lifting will not add as much size as high rep lifting. Power lifting will add neural intervation as the addaptation to the excesise.
    I ask because most people think that lifiting is lifting. To add to my suspitions that you are going with bro science is the morphology, there is no such thing as an ectomorph.

danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000) danno25nh is just really nice. (+1000)
    This has been discussed many times here. Adding muscle will not slow you down, it will not decrease your reach, i will not restrict your movement. You must however train in other ways in addition to lifting. My trainer trains national champion golden gloves boxers and works for Title Boxing. He has me lift in addition to all my other training. He has all of his fighters lift.
    At 18 years old you haven't fully developed physically. Lifting now pays big dividends in 5 years.

Every actual boxer that replies to these threads says the same thing. Strength training is an important part of your training program.

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    yeah but you aint gaining mass bcs u r probably a ectomorph,by other words a hard gainer
    No, I'm not gaining mass because I'm in a calorie defecit and I'm not training for hypertrophy.

oh i see , but you dont have a protein nor carbs defecit, liike this you can increase the weights you lift for strength withouth gaining mass right?

Seem's cool, but i saw on that boxingforum , they seem agnaist lifting weights,just doing light weights high reps and most of all calisthenics...
    Becayse they said lifting on boxing is not a natural thing,they do little weights and when they do light weight high reps,for muscle endurance
    and things like that , well is this true?

halcj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Zero: You still haven't said where you learned that lifting heavy will slow you down. Power lifting will not add as much size as high rep lifting. Power lifting will add neural intervation as the addaptation to the excesise.
    I ask because most people think that lifiting is lifting. To add to my suspitions that you are going with bro science is the morphology, there is no such thing as an ectomorph.
    I agree with this. Very heavy lifting (close to 1RM) with long rest periods will not build excessive mass, but will build strength through neural adaptation and changes in muscle fibre composition. Try keeping your reps between 1 and 4, and your sets at around 2-6, with at least 2-3min. rest. This will not slow you down. To ensure that you keep up your speed, try plyometrics and medicine ball training, as well as plenty of time practising the skills of boxing.

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ok,
    The most likely reason you don't think your muscles are "tight/hard" enough is that there is too much bodyfat covering what you have. At 5'6" and 176 lbs, unless you've got a LOT of muscle already, you've got way too much fat. I fought at 178 and 165 at 6'3". At your height, you really don't want to be fighting at light heavy.

This is a GREAT article about conditioning - understanding it and developing it for your sport, particularly combat sports. It's technical and lengthy, but I wish like *** that I had understood this stuff when I was 18. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/co...2-0-a-1764235/

BTW - I agree with lifting heavy for boxing as long as it's understood that the power gains from it are minimal compared to the power you generate through improving technique, and related to that, you use your core muscles much more for punching than arms/chest. Here's a great little video about where punching power comes from, the explaination starts about halfway in. http://www.break.com/index/anatomy-o...knock-out.html

also agree with the plyometrics suggestion, they're great, and I include jump rope as one of them. It's not just for improving cardio, it's plyometrics for the foundation of punching power.
    Last edited by Blackjack68; 04-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.

adam483t has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lifting heavy weights and them making you slow is a common misconception. It also doesn't make you less flexible. Just keep stretching and enjoy the added power.