Page 82 of 127 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 3785
    Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by liftasaurus View Post
    it's gotten worse than that. females have completely infiltrated the industry. every publisher and literary agency is filled with women. a new male author sends in a good manuscript and a clueless woman reads it and chucks it.
    Enter Anthony Ryan here. Blood Song alpha as fuk. Tower Lord falls too feminist agenda.

DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by liftasaurus View Post
    it's gotten worse than that. females have completely infiltrated the industry. every publisher and literary agency is filled with women. a new male author sends in a good manuscript and a clueless woman reads it and chucks it.

Originally Posted by FIREnICE View Post
    any sources on this? that's fukked up if true. and then you have the pseudonyms by female authors cause they know nobody will buy their books otherwise.

There is no source because it's just misogynist BS. A very large portion of the best fantasy/scifi ever published was done so under female publishers and editors, it's not 1930... women have been heavily involved in the kind of literature this thread deals with for 40+ years as both publishers, editors, agents and authors. I would think a MASSIVE chunk of scifi readers over the age of 25 probably cut their fantasy teeth on the likes of Dragonlance or The Dragonriders of Pern... that **** was IT in the 80's/90's and authors like Margaret Weis had their engorged clits deep up inside the fantasy genre well before many posters in here were reading.

I hate all the YA love story bullchit as much as anyone else (I couldnt even count the number of times i've read a great blurb on the back of a book only to make me cringe when it ended with "and then he/she met a boy/girl") but blaming the proliferation of those books/plots on female infiltration of the industry is hilarious.

You know why there are so many YA styled fantasy/apocalypse books with romance shoehorned into them? It's because it's what sells... there are more dumb motherfukkers reading books than ever before, it doesnt make them any less dumb.

Side note on the bolded part, you're out of touch with the industry for two reasons:

1) NOBODY gets published by sending in a manuscript any more as 100% of those submissions go in the bin. AFAIK the only publisher in any way notable that's still accepting submissions that don't come from a real, paid agent is BAEN and that may have changed since i read an article on that a couple of years ago(possibly TOR still does).

You hire an agent, they tell you if your work is chit and if it isnt then they try and sell it to someone.

2) Publishing is one of those industries where they don't give the slightest FUK if you don't come from the latest popular demographic, if your work will sell then you'll get published. Getting noticed can be hard but it's easier than ever before, you can cheaply (or free) self publish and if your work is notable then you get a book deal (ala David Moody or Andy Weir).

There are at LEAST two brahs on here with multiple self published books on Amazon etc, Will Brink pumps them out like crazy and the brah who works in the (iirc) film industry publishes under J Alex Mccarthy. I'm sure there are more who do the same and just would rather not link it to their Misc account for obvious reasons.

Crying about women in publishing is like feminists crying about a wage gap that doesnt exist. The problem isn't women, the problem is bad authors and the fact that dumb fuks with bad taste are buying there books more often than we buy good stuff.
    Last edited by DatPass; 11-22-2016 at 05:46 AM.
    **#3 always delivers crew**
    **regularly rep accidentally instead of negging back crew**

"Train in difficult, trackless, wooded terrain. War makes heavy demands on a soldiers strength and nerves. For this reason make heavy demands on your men in peacetime." - Erwin Rommel: Infantry attacks

AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DatPass View Post
    Crying about women in publishing is like feminists crying about a wage gap that doesnt exist. The problem isn't women, the problem is bad authors and the fact that dumb fuks with bad taste are buying there books more often than we buy good stuff.
    Agreed, to a point.

There is still the fact that almost every book tagged YA is by a female. Go ahead. Take a look.
    https://www.goodreads.com/genres/new...es/young-adult

All those books, and I only found 2 on that page actually by dudes. Females are definitely over saturating the market with YA books, and it is almost solely them. On top of that, those are only new releases. Imagine how much more has been pumped out before that.

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AD117 View Post
    Hey, have any of you guys read" The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams?

"Inspired me to write my own seven-book trilogy. It's one of my favorite fantasy series." GRRM

Thats pretty high praise there
    I liked it OK. If you are willing to try some scifi-ish fantasy...or maybe its fantasy-ish scifi....Otherland by Tad Williams is pretty good.
    Stern Crew

liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftasaurus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    There is no source because it's just misogynist BS. A very large portion of the best fantasy/scifi ever published was done so under female publishers and editors, it's not 1930... women have been heavily involved in the kind of literature this thread deals with for 40+ years as both publishers, editors, agents and authors. I would think a MASSIVE chunk of scifi readers over the age of 25 probably cut their fantasy teeth on the likes of Dragonlance or The Dragonriders of Pern... that **** was IT in the 80's/90's and authors like Margaret Weis had their engorged clits deep up inside the fantasy genre well before many posters in here were reading.

I hate all the YA love story bullchit as much as anyone else (I couldnt even count the number of times i've read a great blurb on the back of a book only to make me cringe when it ended with "and then he/she met a boy/girl") but blaming the proliferation of those books/plots on female infiltration of the industry is hilarious.

You know why there are so many YA styled fantasy/apocalypse books with romance shoehorned into them? It's because it's what sells... there are more dumb motherfukkers reading books than ever before, it doesnt make them any less dumb.

Side note on the bolded part, you're out of touch with the industry for two reasons:

1) NOBODY gets published by sending in a manuscript any more as 100% of those submissions go in the bin. AFAIK the only publisher in any way notable that's still accepting submissions that don't come from a real, paid agent is BAEN and that may have changed since i read an article on that a couple of years ago(possibly TOR still does).

You hire an agent, they tell you if your work is chit and if it isnt then they try and sell it to someone.

2) Publishing is one of those industries where they don't give the slightest FUK if you don't come from the latest popular demographic, if your work will sell then you'll get published. Getting noticed can be hard but it's easier than ever before, you can cheaply (or free) self publish and if your work is notable then you get a book deal (ala David Moody or Andy Weir).

There are at LEAST two brahs on here with multiple self published books on Amazon etc, Will Brink pumps them out like crazy and the brah who works in the (iirc) film industry publishes under J Alex Mccarthy. I'm sure there are more who do the same and just would rather not link it to their Misc account for obvious reasons.

All of those pics I posted are literary agents. I was talking about literary agents. I'm well aware of how the system works. You are completely out of touch with how women think and operate. Yes it is justified that women have flooded the industry because the majority of readers are women, so it's just common business sense. But it has the unfortunate side effect of decent male authors struggling to get a break. Not only do they have a very small market share to try to crack into, they have to often deal with the bias of women. It's not much different to having men read Twilight and chucking it because it's garbage. It's garbage to us, but women like it. A woman could read Way of Kings and in her mind think it's garbage cause it's not 'fun' and her mind gets annoyed with the complexity.

Also, Dragonriders of Pern was complete garbage as well.

FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    and these "dumb fuks" you're referring to are women. srs.
    I agree that it isn't necessarily the female authors' fault that YA/cringey fantasy books sell. I'm pretty sure there are way more female readers nowadays than male readers, so it makes sense that books are pandering to females because at the end of the day, they're just trying to make money.

Normally, this isn't a problem in other genres, but imo, it's definitely hurting the fantasy genre.

Just look at goodreads reviews.
    Chit makes me cringe so hard.

almost every top review is written by some dumb sloot gushing over the newest mediocre fantasy book while posting 50 cringey GIFs because they're incapable of expressing their opinion otherwise.

Imo, if more men start reading fantasy, we'd get more high quality books.
    *** Disregard neutrons and electrons, acquire protons crew ***
    *** No Hymen No Diamond crew ***

AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AD117 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm currently early/partway into the last Farseer book, Assassins Quest. FitzChivalry is getting me hyped AF knowing what his goal is. I've waited 2 books for this chit and its finally happening!

Originally Posted by FeralBeast View Post
    fuark lol. I know that would rustle me too.

pepper yourself for the Dresden Files brah. I seriously fuking love those books. 14 books and i FLEW through them all in a few weeks srs. They only get better with each book.

btw I found out a while ago that Patrick Rothfuss' favorite series is the Dresden Files.
    (I still hate Rothfuss tho)
    I finished the first Dresden Files. It took me a bit to get into the first book, but I got hooked at around 40% and finished the rest in a day. Already bought the next one too. Not a super intriciate book, but fun af. A quick google shows me that there is 15 books in this series, so I'm in for the long haul. Yet another good recommendation brah

Also mindblown that the first came out in 2000 and he has 15 out. That means the brah has regularly put one out almost yearly. That is the GOAT dedication an author has shown. He and Sanderson are writing machines.

Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    I liked it OK. If you are willing to try some scifi-ish fantasy...or maybe its fantasy-ish scifi....Otherland by Tad Williams is pretty good.
    I'll look into both man. I'm going to need a new fantasy series once I'm done with farseer (there's other trilogies after, but I'm going to read a few other books before I dive back into this world). Thanks for the input
    Last edited by AD117; 11-23-2016 at 05:06 PM.

FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FeralBeast has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I finished the first Dresden Files. It took me a bit to get into the first book, but I got hooked at around 40% and finished the rest in a day. Already bought the next one too. Not a super intriciate book, but fun af. A quick google shows me that there is 15 books in this series, so I'm in for the long haul. Yet another good recommendation brah
    and it gets better with each book srs

I think around book 3 it really picks up, and then the quality never goes down.
    I have no idea how he consistently releases these high quality books and somehow intertwines everything together to make it work.

You haven't seen anything yet brah srs.

I finished all 15 books in about 3 weeks.

Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Singularity7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I have no idea how he consistently releases these high quality books and somehow intertwines everything together to make it work.

Lol i think im on the 3rd last book. Love it. I like these fantasy detective stuff.
    https://bandcamp.com/singularity7 - Music collection. Recommend albums. Always looking for more.

Also mindblown that the first came out in 2000 and he has 15 out. That means the brah has regularly put one out almost yearly. That is the GOAT dedication an author has shown. He and Sanderson are writing machines.
    oh and btw, he also wrote a 6 book fantasy series just to prove a point lol

He got in an argument on a forum while trying to convince someone that a good writer could make anything interesting regardless of the setting.

So someone said "alright then, what about something ridiculous like a mix of the Roman Empire and Pokemon?"

Butcher took the challenge and wrote the Codex Alera books just to prove his point.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...es_of_Calderon

Fuaark I hate finishing a book series so quickly. I did that with the Red Rising trilogy (the last one came out the day I finished the second) and it was all over in an instant. I'm in the minority, but I don't mind waiting between books to read. It gives me something to look forward to lol. The day I finish the final ASOFAI, the world will feel a little more empty.

Good to know it picks up even more. I also like the idea of the books more intricately intertwining. It will make it feel like it's all for something rather than a bunch of barely related monster-of-the-week style plots.

EDIT: Actually apparently theirs a 16th on the way. I guess the writer isn't planning on stopping any time soon. Fking sweet

EDIT again:

He got in an argument on a forum while trying to convince someone that a good writer could make anything interesting regardless of the setting.

So someone said "alright then, what about something ridiculous like a mix of the Roman Empire and Pokemon?"

Butcher took the challenge and wrote the Codex Alera books just to prove his point.

That is ridiculous. Thats 21 books in 16 years. What a beast.

Have you read that other series? Lol @ the reason for its existance

Fuaark I hate finishing a book series so quickly. I did that with the Red Rising trilogy (the last one came out the day I finished the second) and it was all over in an instant. I'm in the minority, but I don't mind waiting between books to read. It gives me something to look forward to lol. The day I finish the final ASOFAI, the world will feel a little more empty.

Good to know it picks up even more. I also like the idea of the books more intricately intertwining. It will make it feel like it's all for something rather than a bunch of barely related monster-of-the-week style plots.

EDIT: Actually apparently theirs a 16th on the way. I guess the writer isn't planning on stopping any time soon. Fking sweet
    yea the first 1-2 books gives that impression, but trust me it's not like that at all. Things get crazy later, you'll see lol

Have you read that other series? Lol @ the reason for its existance
    yea I read the Furies books too.

they were pretty good but not on the same level as the Dresden Files

and btw, i think I read somewhere that he has 22 Dresden Files books planned total. So he still has to release atleast 7 more hnng

Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Can confirm. Dresden is amazing

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution FIREnICE's Avatar
    FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

it's funny cause in the link you provided, the first review is some bish with 50 gifs

wish i had writing skills. i'd create a fantasy subgenre called "men only"
    We're All Gonna Make It
    ***RIP ZYZZ***

it's funny cause in the link you provided, the first review is some bish with 50 gifs
    goodreads is plagued with that chit.
    Such a cringey site because of it.

I'm gonna start reading reviews on Amazon instead of goodreads. srs

goodreads is plagued with that chit.
    Such a cringey site because of it.

I'm gonna start reading reviews on Amazon instead of goodreads. srs
    Amazon is where I've always gotten my reviews

It always puts the most helpful reviews first too, so its great for that

r̸̺̽͋͑̏̆̈́̋̐̀̕ r̸̽͋͑̏̆̈́̋̐̀̕ Lolip0p's Avatar
    Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lolip0p is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Waiting patiently for the 3rd Name of the Wind book...

Originally Posted by Lolip0p View Post
    I recommend forgetting about that series (dead srs)

Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000) Letthemcome is just really nice. (+1000)
    finished Chaos Walking series. Was pretty good.

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution FIREnICE's Avatar
    FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Lolip0p View Post
    roth**** is so condescending and arrogant too. he replies back to fans as if WE should be thankful he wrote the series... last time i checked, we were the ones purchasing. that guy will never get a dime from me.
    We're All Gonna Make It
    ***RIP ZYZZ***

former 6'2 130lber MaximusPlatypus's Avatar
    MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I recommend forgetting about that series (dead srs)
    Stormlight Archive ftw!

roth**** is so condescending and arrogant too. he replies back to fans as if WE should be thankful he wrote the series... last time i checked, we were the ones purchasing. that guy will never get a dime from me.
    Truth. That being said, I'll buy the 3rd book whenever it comes out. I'm not petty enough i guess

His attitude is the only reason I'll pirate when the book eventually comes out srs

Attention K-Mart shoppers Archangel_Lost's Avatar
    Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    His attitude is the only reason I'll pirate when the book eventually comes out srs
    Will prolly read cliffs on wiki since I get he feel his first two books were somehow flukes and he's going to go full retard on the last.
    Lifts:
    Squat: 460x1
    Bench: 400x1
    Deadlift: 575x1
    OHP: 250x2
    Weight: 180 lbs.

Don't have heroes; look up to no one. Because as long as someone's leading the way, the best you'll ever be is second.

Originally Posted by Archangel_Lost View Post
    Will prolly read cliffs on wiki since I get he feel his first two books were somehow flukes and he's going to go full retard on the last.
    Yea I get the feeling he's in panic mode about how hard his final book will fail, so he's stalling hard af trying to maximize profits from his first two books
    Last edited by FeralBeast; 11-25-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Finished the Troy series. It was pretty solid brahs. I liked the ending.

But don't go into it thinking it's fantasy like I did.
    The book is historical fiction and is grounded in realism with only some very minor fantasy elements to it.

JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50) JundEmOut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just finished up Nine Princes in Amber by Zelazny.

I really love how these older writers are masters of brevity. Zelazny paints a vivid picture of his worlds, yet never lets you get bogged down in description or battle scenes. There's one that literally goes something like "We fought...I'll be brief, it went badly for us...."

Starting Guns of Avalon now...just got to the scene with the goatheaded demon. I think I'm gonna love this one too.

NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NasStan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Surprised by all the Jim Butcher love.

Tried the first Dresden book, struggled to get further than 50%.

The Codex Alera series (well first book anyway), is my lowest rated fantasy book on Goodreads. Filled with every possible generic fantasy trope imaginable with mediocre world building to boot.

Also tried his new series The Cinder Spires this week and couldn't finish the first book.

His writing and stories do not resonate with me at all. Feel like I'm missing something. I'm a very picky reader in general but I feel like I've tried a lot of Butcher books

Originally Posted by Letthemcome View Post
    finished Chaos Walking series. Was pretty good.
    One of my all time favourites. Patrick Ness is a great writer. Read A Monster Calls is you have a chance, think it just got made into a movie but the book is great. One of the only books I've read in one sitting
    Last edited by NasStan; 11-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Originally Posted by NasStan View Post
    Surprised by all the Jim Butcher love.

Tried the first Dresden book, struggled to get further than 50%.
    Pretty much every Dresden Files fan agrees that it starts getting good at book 3 brah.
    I remember reading the first book and not being all that impressed, but it was interesting enough for me to finish it and move on to the next one.

Book 3 onwards I was hooked srs.

about Codex Alera:
    Imo it wasn't amazing but if you've already read the other GOAT tier fantasy books and you're looking for another High Fantasy series to read, it's not a bad choice imo. It's nice that it's complete too.

I haven't read his new The Cinder Spires yet

SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SpicyCurrie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey guys, I know that I'm being a lazy ******* but I just don't want to go through 83 pages to find book series recommendations.

So can anyone recommend me a (couple) book series to start off with? Can usually crush a 400-500 page book in ~12 hours if I'm into it.
    PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
    GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
    PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
    GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
    PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.
    GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.

DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DatPass has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SpicyCurrie View Post
    Hey guys, I know that I'm being a lazy ******* but I just don't want to go through 83 pages to find book series recommendations.

So can anyone recommend me a (couple) book series to start off with? Can usually crush a 400-500 page book in ~12 hours if I'm into it.
    The Redemption of Althalus is pretty casual, start with that IMO.

brb 6 inches thick
    **#3 always delivers crew**
    **regularly rep accidentally instead of negging back crew**

"Train in difficult, trackless, wooded terrain. War makes heavy demands on a soldiers strength and nerves. For this reason make heavy demands on your men in peacetime." - Erwin Rommel: Infantry attacks