Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cmanoog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

why won't my arms get defined?

My arms are a pretty decent size, but they have no definition to it. my arms look like it is just one muscle, including my shoulder muscle. the rest of my body is very well defined (abs, chest, and traps are getting there), but my arms are not. they just get bigger, but never get defined. So I believe that the more reps you do, the more defined your arms get. My goal for this workout is to continue size, but more importantly get my arms more defined. I would rather have my arms become defined faster than my size. this is a new routine that i am trying out and i was wondering what you think of it? should i do more of the high repetition exercises for the arm day, on Friday?

Tuesday, Thursday, and weekends - Rest days (should i do cardio here? i am trying to gain weight though.)
    90 seconds between sets.

Monday - Legs/back/abs

squat - 4 (12,10,8,6)
    leg press - 3 (10,8,6)
    deadlift - 3 (6)
    calf raise - 6 (till failure)
    Wide grip pull up - 3 (8,6,4)
    seated row (10,10,8)
    one arm dumbell row (10,8)

Wednesday - Chest/shoulders

bench press - 4 (10,8,8,6)
    incline dumbbell press - 3 (10,10,8)
    cable crossovers - 3 (10-12)
    incline bumbbell flys - 3 (8-10)
    military press - 4 (10,8,6 w/ increasing weight)
    dumbbell lateral raise 3 (10,8,8)
    dumbbell reverse fly - 3 (10)
    dumbbell shrugs - 3 (12)

Friday - biceps/ triceps/ abs

barbell curl - 5 (8), then 1 (20)
    incline dumbbell curl - 5 (8), then 1 (20)
    close grip bench press - 5 (8), then 1 (20)
    lying tricep extension - 5 (8), then 1 (20)
    tricep pushdown - 5 (8), then 1 (20)

Thanks for your help!

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cmanoog View Post
    they just get bigger, but never get defined. So I believe that the more reps you do, the more defined your arms get.
    Do you think there may be a layer of body fat covering the definition? And maybe that layer is remaining there, while you are bulking, getting bigger and bigger? Higher rep counts won't solve that.
    Last edited by mrmrbill; 03-30-2012 at 10:51 PM.

MrDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrDiamond has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On Friday you do 20 sets of isolation lifts and 5 sets of a low weight compound lift. For a three day split you may want to do: day 1 pulling exercises, day 2 legs, day 3 pushing exercises. This would make it easier to stick to bigger compound lifts. But also definition is largely fat so cardio on off days should help you out.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I believe that the more reps you do, the more defined your arms get.
    Nope. For growth, you want somewhere between 5 and 8 reps per set, and maybe 2-4 sets, generally speaking. Of course, a little either side probably won't make much difference. Go too high, and you're really working for endurance more than anything else. And as for "definition", that's muscles + diet. Perhaps you need to look at the latter, in particular.

this is a new routine that i am trying out and i was wondering what you think of it?
    It's not the best I've seen, nor the worst. Depending where your lifts are at curently, you might do better on something like 5/3/1 (the Triumvirate template, maybe, or the Periodisation Bible one, IMO). If you're still around the novice numbers, you could instead go for a full body routine 3 times a week.

Tuesday, Thursday, and weekends - Rest days (should i do cardio here? i am trying to gain weight though.)
    Eat more, and don't do cardio. Or, eat even more and do cardio. Your choice. Strength training and aerobic activity can conflict, somewhat, but in the end, they can be balanced. There are benefits, health-wise. Then again, possibly sacrifices, in terms of absolute gains elsewhere... no-one else can prioritise these things, in the end.

Again, though, have a look at what you're eating*, as well as how much. More protein is probably the thing. Less carbs, maybe less fat. Or less crap, anyway. The Nutrition forum's the place for all that.

* I'm a believer in eating clean, for the most part. Some will disagree. What you believe, and how you eat, is all up to you.

stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Legs/back...

stopped.

CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I doesn't always hurt to add some bicep isolation work into your otherwork out days. If it is a particular objective for you, I'm sure your body would able to handle the extra stimulus, the arms aren't very draining to workout. Do some BB and DB curls on the other two days. Also, you are high BF%, that is gonna be your biggest problem.
    PATH OF IRON:
    "Inspiration for the Neo-Renaissance Weightlifter"

[pathofiron.net]

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Without pics this thread is nothing.

Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Benhouse89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    High body fat percentage for sure. Once you start cutting, you'll see the definition.

treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50) treezn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lose body fat

JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Because you're too fat. If you want definition then forget about adding weight for the time being; if you want weight then forget about definition for the time being.
    Pick a goal and stick to it, dicking around trying to play both sides of the fence is just going to leave you running in place.

And don't do legs & back on the same day. You're doing 60% of your muscle training on 1 out of your 3 days, that's retarded.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    FAT LOSS SECTION

Originally Posted by JaymzZz View Post
    Because you're too fat. If you want definition then forget about adding weight for the time being; if you want weight then forget about definition for the time being.
    Pick a goal and stick to it, dicking around trying to play both sides of the fence is just going to leave you running in place.

And don't do legs & back on the same day. You're doing 60% of your muscle training on 1 out of your 3 days, that's retarded.
    yeah but thats the thing. im not fat at all. im a 5'9" 138 pound (used to be 128) 19 yr old. im also in college, so my options for healthy food go down drastically, plus i have no car to go to grocery stores. okay legs/back = not good. got it, so what should i switch it with? in high school i did track, and i was very good at it, so im not a fat guy. I do eat wendy's because after 12 am thats the only thing open, and i get hungry then, but im not fat, trust me.

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    im not fat at all. im a 5'9" 138 pound (used to be 128) 19 yr old.
    You may not be big and round like Santa Claus but lack of definition is subcutaneous fat covering the muscle. Given the lack of muscle tissue at 138, it wouldn't take much bodyfat to lose definition. Gain more muscle to offset the fat is probably your best approach here. Including your stats (5'9" 138) in the OP would have helped weed out all the "cutting" stuff.

im also in college, so my options for healthy food go down drastically, plus i have no car to go to grocery stores.
    Your options for controlling cal surplus/deficits don't rely on this. Arming yourself w/ knowledge from the Nutrition section will help greatly.

okay legs/back = not good. got it, so what should i switch it with?
    As a very underweight 5'9"-er, the 1x frequency 3-day split isn't helping you gain needed mass as much as 3 days of full body work would.
    Last edited by mrmrbill; 03-31-2012 at 11:53 AM.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    LOL,

OP has little muscle to work with at 5-9 and 138lbs and is wondering why he does not have defined arms.

Priceless.

OR is OP trolling.

Stay tuned.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    LOL,

OP has little muscle to work with at 5-9 and 138lbs and is wondering why he does not have defined arms.

Priceless.
    I can't even picture that.
    I am 5' 10'' and weighed 150 pounds all my life and looked like an anatomy class.

faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My arms are a pretty decent size
    Looks like a case of exeptional eyesight. Built in looking glasses, I bet he could spot those huge ants from 100 yards away!

It may not have definition, but a prime roast with fat cap is all about flavour. Get the grill on!

Originally Posted by faifer2k View Post
    Looks like a case of exeptional eyesight. Built in looking glasses, I bet he could spot those huge ants from 100 yards away!
    yeah. you guys are cool. decent size for me. im not aiming to get my biceps huge. that would be disgusting. im not a bodybuilder, just a guy who wants definition. somehow that question seems too hard to ask.

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    It may not have definition, but a prime roast with fat cap is all about flavour. Get the grill on!
    im in college, do you honeslty thing that stuff is available to me? i live in a dorm with no grill.

yeah. you guys are cool. decent size for me. im not aiming to get my biceps huge. that would be disgusting. im not a bodybuilder, just a guy who wants definition. somehow that question seems too hard to ask.
    Getting your biceps huge would be disgusting, really?

Definition can't occur where little or no muscle is involved no matter how little bf % one has.

So what you're really seeking is a boy band look.

LuLz.

faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) faifer2k is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im in college, do you honeslty thing that stuff is available to me? i live in a dorm with no grill.
    Then get your self some black beans, canned tuna, costco chicken and EAT it. Honestly talking about decent size and then admitting you weigh 138lbs is just ridiculous. Did you never get the idea, that you cannot see your muscle because there is no muscle to speak of.

somehow that question seems too hard to ask.
    Your initial question was already answered, multiple times: gain muscle to offset fat, or cut fat.

decent size for me. im not aiming to get my biceps huge. that would be disgusting. im not a bodybuilder, just a guy who wants definition.
    LoL... relative to "huge" or "bodybuilder", I'm f'ing tiny. I'm average or below, at best. You really think 30lbs - or even 15lbs - would make you "disgusting"? Srs. It would take years of effort for you to get "hyoooge", and you can always cut back because it's a slooow process.

Originally Posted by christos_swc View Post
    I can't even picture that.
    I am 5' 10'' and weighed 150 pounds all my life and looked like an anatomy class.
    hey retard. im not sure if you realized this, but if you grow 1 inch, then you gain 7 lbs. so i would only be 5 lbs off of what you weigh if i was your height. im also guessing you have a medium frame. i run track and if you read my post you would know that. if you were smart then you would also know that the majority of track runners have small frames.

It was a point about defintion: fat relative to mass. In college, you'll be asked to do more critical thinking than that. Good luck. Being in college doesn't mean you can't still manage cal surplus/deficit parameters. Don't be obtuse.

Originally Posted by faifer2k View Post
    Then get your self some black beans, canned tuna, costco chicken and EAT it. Honestly talking about decent size and then admitting you weigh 138lbs is just ridiculous. Did you never get the idea, that you cannot see your muscle because there is no muscle to speak of.
    you guys are saying i have no muscle at all!! i have a small frame. i gained 10 lbs since i working out. i eat food, and a lot of it. i try to go for the rice or the chicken. i lift 210 on bench. that is over 1.5 x my body weight. you can easily see my muscle, it is just not defined. you have 8 years on me. maybe you forgot what it was like 8 years ago. i mentioned before i have no CAR! I have homework to do. I dont have time to get on a bus and buy groceries. i barely have enough time to do a 3 day workout.

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    It was a point about defintion: fat relative to mass. In college, you'll be asked to do more critical thinking than that. Good luck. Being in college doesn't mean you can't still manage cal surplus/deficit parameters. Don't be obtuse.
    no your right i get about a 3000-3500 cal intake a day. i do monitor it and i do eat a lot. Okay you guys win. im a dumbass and you guys are geniuses. im new to this kind of stuff, obviously. You guys dont have to go around being a-s-s-h-o-l-e-s about it.

you guys are saying i have no muscle at all!! i have a small frame. i gained 10 lbs since i working out. i eat food, and a lot of it. i try to go for the rice or the chicken. i lift 210 on bench. that is over 1.5 x my body weight. you can easily see my muscle, it is just not defined. you have 8 years on me. maybe you forgot what it was like 8 years ago. i mentioned before i have no CAR! I have homework to do. I dont have time to get on a bus and buy groceries. i barely have enough time to do a 3 day workout.
    But yet you have enough time to troll on the Internet.

Outstanding.

this is a new routine that i am trying out and i was wondering what you think of it?
    Sucks.

should i do more of the high repetition exercises for the arm day, on Friday?
    No.

Thanks for your help!
    You should edit this out of the original post.

rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob32gtst will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then jog......
    And far as I know we al have the same hours in a day, ive a full time job, a baby, a girlfriend wks a house and I can spare time five times a week.

abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can you post your typical daily diet please.