Gazelle178 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gazelle178 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it SAFE to eat RAW steel cut oats??????

Ok bros-

So I been starting to mix 1/4 a cup of Mccann's Irish Oatmeal into my ON whey shakes. I first grind it up with a coffee grinder. In about 5 seconds it turns into a fine power that I just throw in my blender bottle, mixes up real nice with a few shakes, and BAM!

280 calories (130 for the whey, 150 for 1/4 cup steel cut oats).
    28g of Protein (4g from the oats)
    27gs of slow release carbs

I'm always in a rush to get out the door, and this seems like a solid, quick way to help hit my macros. Question is, since the steel cut oats are RAW/uncook is it SAFE to do this? I saw some other threads about people doing it old fashion rolled oats, but no info on STEEL CUT oats.

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Gazelle178 View Post
    Question is, since the steel cut oats are RAW/uncook is it SAFE to do this? I saw some other threads about people doing it old fashion rolled oats, but no info on STEEL CUT oats.
    Ground oats are ground oats, regardless of whether they were rolled are steel-cut prior to being ground. As long as they are finely ground (like not tooth-crunching) it won't matter.

Now, large quantities insoluble fiber (like from oats) can interfere with nutrient absorption, I've read, but this would probably only present a problem for the hard-gainer who can't seem to eat enough calories, or maybe someone who is already deficient w/ certain macro/micro-nutrients.

Gazelle178 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gazelle178 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    Ground oats are ground oats, regardless of whether they were rolled are steel-cut prior to being ground. As long as they are finely ground (like not tooth-crunching) it won't matter.

Now, large quantities insoluble fiber (like from oats) can interfere with nutrient absorption, I've read, but this would probably only present a problem for the hard-gainer who can't seem to eat enough calories, or maybe someone who is already deficient w/ certain macro/micro-nutrients.
    yeah, its a rele fine powder. I saw something about it being way harder to digest than traditional old fashion oats. flame?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes its safe, ive been doing it for a year and a half when im too lazy to cook, turns to dust in a coffee grinder and thickens up a shake. Perfect for bulking when you are too lazy to eat solids, not great on a cut when you are starving.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah, its a rele fine powder. I saw something about it being way harder to digest than traditional old fashion oats. flame?
    I can imagine that steel cut oats and rolled oats might have different rates of digestion while in those respective forms (steel cut oats tend to be pretty chewy), but once you grind either of them up you'd have a fairly similar oat flour. There is likely more bran in the case of the steel cut oats, I guess, but I don't think it would be drastically different.

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Used to do it all the time the first time I tried to cut back in 2005.

Eurofiles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok bros-

So I been starting to mix 1/4 a cup of Mccann's Irish Oatmeal into my ON whey shakes. I first grind it up with a coffee grinder. In about 5 seconds it turns into a fine power that I just throw in my blender bottle, mixes up real nice with a few shakes, and BAM!

280 calories (130 for the whey, 150 for 1/4 cup steel cut oats).
    28g of Protein (4g from the oats)
    27gs of slow release carbs

I'm always in a rush to get out the door, and this seems like a solid, quick way to help hit my macros. Question is, since the steel cut oats are RAW/uncook is it SAFE to do this? I saw some other threads about people doing it old fashion rolled oats, but no info on STEEL CUT oats.
    It is not unsafe in any way. You do NOT NEED to grind it either, unless of course you jus want to be able to swallow it more easily. People need to understand that the acidity levels in your stomach will break down even unground steel cut oats, completely. Yes, COMPLETELY. Given the fact that it will even soften if left in water overnight is a sign that it will definitely breakdown just fine in your stomach. I have been eating unground steel cut oats directly out of the container for 6 months now, WITHOUT chewing. The reason I began this crazy regimen is cuz I got sick of how often I had to eat given my time constraints, and also given that I have braces on my teeth, but I wanted a way to stick with a clean diet indefinitely without ever having excuses of having to prepare food, wash dishes, microwave, mess etc. As body builders, or just health nuts, I think a lot of us would agree that we will eat things in complete disregard for taste and pleasure and merely for the benefits and the convenience. I swallow 3/4 cup of dense oats and use water to wash it down, 3 times a day. I've gotten really good at it and it now takes me less than a minute to shovel it down my throat. It causes ZERO discomfort, ZERO signs of indigestion, and it still fills me up. My stomach also did not need to adjust to this either. From day 1 I have had 0 problems. I am ripped as hell right now and despite my more-than-occasional binge eating of the worse foods you can possibly think of, it seems like I can't revert to being not ripped even if I tried. I am, thus, thrilled that I decided to come up with eating my oatmeal like this. Don't let anyone bull**** you about any negatives regarding this issue. All i hear is cant cant cant cant on the web. Yes you can. My health has shot through the roof in the past 6 months.

Jennabel4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All grains contain phytic acid (an organic acid in which phosphorous is bound) in the outer layer or bran. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron especially zinc in the intestinal track and block their absorption. This is why a diet high in unfermented whole grains may lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects. Soaking allows enzyme, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid. As little as seven hours of soaking in warm acidulated water will neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains. The simple practice of soaking cracked or rolled cereal grains overnight will vastly improve their nutritional benefits.

richjh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Love this post. I have been trying to lose weight for some time now rlifting weights all though my 20s. I most certainly am not 20 anymore but 66. Boy has the time passed. I intentionally undercook my oats as was a bit concerned by some of the posts. I do chew my oats really well. I love the texture undercooked. So this post makes really good sense to me.
    Rich

Originally Posted by Eurofiles View Post
    It is not unsafe in any way. You do NOT NEED to grind it either, unless of course you jus want to be able to swallow it more easily. People need to understand that the acidity levels in your stomach will break down even unground steel cut oats, completely. Yes, COMPLETELY. Given the fact that it will even soften if left in water overnight is a sign that it will definitely breakdown just fine in your stomach. I have been eating unground steel cut oats directly out of the container for 6 months now, WITHOUT chewing. The reason I began this crazy regimen is cuz I got sick of how often I had to eat given my time constraints, and also given that I have braces on my teeth, but I wanted a way to stick with a clean diet indefinitely without ever having excuses of having to prepare food, wash dishes, microwave, mess etc. As body builders, or just health nuts, I think a lot of us would agree that we will eat things in complete disregard for taste and pleasure and merely for the benefits and the convenience. I swallow 3/4 cup of dense oats and use water to wash it down, 3 times a day. I've gotten really good at it and it now takes me less than a minute to shovel it down my throat. It causes ZERO discomfort, ZERO signs of indigestion, and it still fills me up. My stomach also did not need to adjust to this either. From day 1 I have had 0 problems. I am ripped as hell right now and despite my more-than-occasional binge eating of the worse foods you can possibly think of, it seems like I can't revert to being not ripped even if I tried. I am, thus, thrilled that I decided to come up with eating my oatmeal like this. Don't let anyone bull**** you about any negatives regarding this issue. All i hear is cant cant cant cant on the web. Yes you can. My health has shot through the roof in the past 6 months.