jak131 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Intermittent Fasting

Hey guys,

So I was reading up on Intermittent fasting yesterday - I saw a lot of posts about it on this forum. I went on leangains but I couldn't navigate the site properly I guess..I couldn't find anything on how to actually do Intermittent Fasting. So, from what I've picked up online, you fast for a long period of time and eat in a window. I'm fasting for 16 hours and eating for 8 hours. I'm trying it today and I had a couple questions...

If I'm full, but haven't filled up on calories yet, should I keep eating until I do so? Or should I just not worry about that?
    Do I have to eat anything specific to make Intermittent Fasting more effective? Or just eat to reach my macros?

Thanks!

eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jak131 View Post
    Hey guys,

So I was reading up on Intermittent fasting yesterday - I saw a lot of posts about it on this forum. I went on leangains but I couldn't navigate the site properly I guess..I couldn't find anything on how to actually do Intermittent Fasting. So, from what I've picked up online, you fast for a long period of time and eat in a window. I'm fasting for 16 hours and eating for 8 hours. I'm trying it today and I had a couple questions...

If I'm full, but haven't filled up on calories yet, should I keep eating until I do so? Or should I just not worry about that?
    Do I have to eat anything specific to make Intermittent Fasting more effective? Or just eat to reach my macros?

Thanks!
    You should eat the calorie requirement that you set. You can fill up on anything really as long as it fits your macros. Also, find the right amount of meals that works for you so you are not hungry/always full. I do this:

Note: my fasting period is unusual because I don't go to bed till 6am most nights.

1500 cals a day (maintenance is 2000)
    Fasting period, Midnight - 5pm. I would break the fast at 4 but thats when I begin fasted training. After training I have my first meal - 750 cals. Around 10-11 I have my second meal, the same calories before the fast at midnight. I am then not hungry till I fall asleep. When I wake at 2pm I have only 2 hours until my first meal.
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

Ah, just found some more stuff on leangains: it says that I should be eating 3 meals during my eating period...is it ok if I eat more/less?
    It also says that I should eat a small meal pre workout and a big meal post workout, can I switch those two if I wanted? Or would I not have the same results.
    Last question: The author says that you should break your fast with meat and less carbs...I thought that it all comes down to what you eat at the end of the day, does it really matter what I break my fast with?

Originally Posted by eloblivion View Post
    You should eat the calorie requirement that you set. You can fill up on anything really as long as it fits your macros. Also, find the right amount of meals that works for you so you are not hungry/always full. I do this:

Note: my fasting period is unusual because I don't go to bed till 6am most nights.

1500 cals a day (maintenance is 2000)
    Fasting period, Midnight - 5pm. I would break the fast at 4 but thats when I begin fasted training. After training I have my first meal - 750 cals. Around 10-11 I have my second meal, the same calories before the fast at midnight. I am then not hungry till I fall asleep. When I wake at 2pm I have only 2 hours until my first meal.
    Yeah, I kinda did the same thing with sleep; I only had around 4 hours in the morning to waste before I ate -- but I wasn't hungry at all today

eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eloblivion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can eat one giant meal if you like. 3 Meals is just seen as way to keep full and consume sufficient calories. Some people find hard to consume all their calories in an 8 hour window.

lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Eat one daily meal if you'd like.
    Tbh, Martin has provided so much to the community, but one thing you will be not find on his Site is a complete step by step guide.

Read, ask questions, read some more and then draw conclusions for what works for you.

Other resources for IF (because Leangains is just martins version of it)

www.rippedbody.jp
    www.fitandhappyforlife.com
    www.reddit.com/r/leangains
    The Ultimate Resource on Dieting and Intermittent Fasting
    http://www.blastthebelly.com

hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lvsteven View Post
    Eat one daily meal if you'd like.
    Tbh, Martin has provided so much to the community, but one thing you will be not find on his Site is a complete step by step guide.

Read, ask questions, read some more and then draw conclusions for what works for you.

Other resources for IF (because Leangains is just martins version of it)

www.rippedbody.jp
    www.fitandhappyforlife.com
    www.reddit.com/r/leangains
    I'm pretty sure you're NOT supposed to just eat one meal. That's more like Warrior Diet which Martin has been opposed to because of pre-workout nutrition. Also, a really big necessity is that a large chunk of calories are consumed in the POST workout phase-- so two meal minimum.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to confuse you - I wasn't asking about one meal. And I don't think I said that either..sorry if it looked like I was implying it lol :P
    I was asking if I could eat more meals because I find that easier..
    And ok I'll try to eat less before my workout. Thanks!

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hatemakinsns View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're NOT supposed to just eat one meal. That's more like Warrior Diet which Martin has been opposed to because of pre-workout nutrition. Also, a really big necessity is that a large chunk of calories are consumed in the POST workout phase-- so two meal minimum.
    Setting meal minimums? Another brotastic "6 meals a day"

OP eat as many or as few meals as you like. Eat outside the 8 hour window even, there's no magic benefit
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Setting meal minimums? Another brotastic "6 meals a day"

OP eat as many or as few meals as you like. Eat outside the 8 hour window even, there's no magic benefit
    Brotastic wouldn't really be relevant as we're discussing the principles of leangains and I'm merely reiterating what the creator of the system recommends, but thanks for bashing and regurgitating common criticisms of the forums.

Originally Posted by hatemakinsns View Post
    Brotastic wouldn't really be relevant as we're discussing the principles of leangains and I'm merely reiterating what the creator of the system recommends, but thanks for bashing and regurgitating common criticisms of the forums.
    agree