Registered User Christiandadrum's Avatar
    Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Video - was my deadlift ok?

Sup guys, I put a video up in my videos section of me deadlifting (or trying to deadlift lol) 180kg - i would put it in this post but i'm still quite new here and it won't let me put links or pics etc
    I'm just wondering, would you consider it a proper deadlift? Did i get it up enough? I say in the vid at the end 'argh, i didnt get it all the way up there' but looking back i'm starting to wonder...and excuse the crappy form...still trying to get it right lmao

EDIT: Thanks mrmrbill for the info, let's see if this works...
    Last edited by Christiandadrum; 03-29-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added vid

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    eh, put the link in here, following the instructions in this form vid sticky: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=142333271

or at least type out the link with a break, in here so people can find it. Searching profiles to get to a vid is pretty hit-or-miss.

draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no.
    ACE Certified Personal Trainer
    NASM CPT, CES, FNS
    Hire me as your Online Personal Trainer!
    Visit www.InsaneAthlete.net
    twitter.com/insaneathlete - Follow us, we'll follow back!
    Youtube.com/insaneathletenet - Subscribe!

kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10) kayot1k is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im no expect but it looks like your back rounds out once you start lifting. your head hangs too low, chest is not pronouced. and you seem start lifting with your back. need to incorporate your legs in the intial lift.

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your arms are slacked like wet noodles. You're doing a very hard yank instead of a clean break. The lower back rounding is severe. Your chest needs to be up and out. Your deadlift is a chiropractor's house payment for many yrs to come. srs.

Try these: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Deadlift_Videos

And if that off-camera voice is gonna be yelling/"coaching" you through the lift, he should watch those, too, so he knows what to look for.

Per your OP question, yes you did "get it up enough" but lighten the load, tighten the form so you can have a few more for the future.
    Last edited by mrmrbill; 03-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.

RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think without that belt you would of been a wreck, need to fix your technique.

oh yeah and don't listen to the guy who was recording.
    Last edited by RLAR; 03-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Time

vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10) vincewchan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RLAR View Post
    I think without that belt you would of been a wreck, need to fix your technique.

oh yeah and don't listen to the guy who was recording.
    100% Agreed.

Lower the weight where you can start to DL with proper form and work your way up slowly.
    Focus on Progress, not Perfection

Registered Sikkunt itwasntme184's Avatar
    itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000) itwasntme184 is just really nice. (+1000)
    wearing a belt doesnt make you invincible lol

id drop the weight like mentioned until you fix lower back rounding and also not use a belt so you can practice keeping your core tight throughout the lift
    Every aspiring lad wants to be a bodybuilder, but by George, nobody wants to elevate these burdensome weights.

★★★TBB FB Chat Crew★★★

LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LordEvil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That made me cringe! Seriously be careful man, any more attempts like that and you will be struggling to walk!

Lighten the weight...like alot, and then start watching some vids on form and practice more.

Best advice i could give you is keep your back straight, never let it round.
    Start: 27/02/2012

SQ: 110 --> 200 x 10
    BP: 132 --> 198 x 8
    DL: 132 --> 264 x 5
    OP: 66 --> 132 x 5
    BR: 88 --> 154 x 10

Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Christiandadrum has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for all the tips guys, i agree my form really is awful. My form is ok and i can incorporate my legs when i go light, but when it gets heavy i just can't get it up without bad form...you're right i need to lay off the heavy for a while til i get my form sorted and legs stronger, cheers

Edit: On a sidenote...do any of you guys get really bruised shins when deadlifting? I sometimes scrape my shins so bad that by the last set it's just damn painful lol

RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000) RLAR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Christiandadrum View Post
    Edit: On a sidenote...do any of you guys get really bruised shins when deadlifting? I sometimes scrape my shins so bad that by the last set it's just damn painful lol
    It could be because you're hips are too low and your shoulders are behind the bar, so you're dragging the bar through your shins.

Check this out, it might help you:
    http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-shi...ips-eliminate/
    Time

Originally Posted by RLAR View Post
    It could be because you're hips are too low and your shoulders are behind the bar, so you're dragging the bar through your shins.

Check this out, it might help you:
    Thanks mate that was pretty helpful

My form is ok and i can incorporate my legs when i go light, but when it gets heavy i just can't get it up without bad form...
    I would think the load difference between the above lift and something manageable has a fair amount of room. Are you using a routine w/ regular, small and steady steps of progression?

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    I would think the load difference between the above lift and something manageable has a fair amount of room. Are you using a routine w/ regular, small and steady steps of progression?
    I'd say we've been deadlifting about 7 or 8 months...we do it most weeks but every month and a half/2 months we miss a week to give the lower back a rest...most weeks it will be something like warm up with 60kg for 12 reps and here my form is pretty good (at least i think lol!) i should try get a vid to make up for that awful one above, and then do 3 sets adding maybe 5kg a side each time of 10 reps, only this was one week where we were seeing what we could do for a one rep max...but damn looking at that vid i was at large risk of injuring myself, won't be doing that again. my legs aren't strong enough, i went an entire year of being a dumbass and not training legs, only training upper body. about 5 months into training legs now, and they're still not really very strong, which would explain probably my rubbish form in the vid?

...we do it most weeks but every month and a half/2 months we miss a week to give the lower back a rest...most weeks it will be something like warm up with 60kg for 12 reps and here my form is pretty good (at least i think lol!) i should try get a vid to make up for that awful one above, and then do 3 sets adding maybe 5kg a side each time of 10 reps,
    Kind of a random, uncoordinated method if DL and other basic compounds are something you'd like to improve. A standardized program that has you DLing 1-2/wk w/ specific progression points in a strength-oriented set/rep scheme would yield a better strategy:results payoff.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Video - was my deadlift ok?

Awful.

The guy encouraging you should be shot. Is he your enemy?

Keep that up and you won't be able to tie your shoelaces before too long.

You should lower the weight to one plate. You might be able to use good form with 60kg. If you can't do that(it is possible, your form is that bad), go to the empty bar, pulling from the rack or boxes so it is about the same height from the floor as if you were using 20kg plates. Work up from there. You better fix your terrible injury-seeking form before you do serious damage.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadianEric will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My initial reaction was "holy **** this guy's back is going to blow out any second". I watched it again and cringed, not because of the terrible form but because of genuine concern for your safety. Seriously, never do a deadlift like that again. Take off 50lbs or 100lbs off practice until you get the form right.
    PATH OF IRON:
    "Inspiration for the Neo-Renaissance Weightlifter"

[pathofiron.net]