SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best way to hit proper calories/macros?

What do you guys do to ensure you're eating the right amounts of calories and properly hitting your macros (whether for bulking or cutting)? Do you track as you go and at the end of the day stop if you've hit them or cram in some food at the end? Or do you prefer to plan ahead of time?

I'm trying to find a good way to manage this...right now I'm trying to track as I go, but I'm not sure if it'd be easier to plan ahead. I seem to be one of those people who needs structure when working on a goal...

All opinions welcome!
    There's holes up in the sky.
    The devil punched down to the monkeys.

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Def plan ahead. Having said that breakfast, lunch, snack, & supps tend mostly to be the same Mon-Friday and the only thing that changes for dinner is the source of protein (ie meat). The weekends are little more laissez-faire, but still generally even then I've pre-planned dinner so I have a rough idea of what my macros need to be for the rest of the day.

SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds nice and straight-forward

Do you ever vary your basics at all to get nutritional variety? I guess though if your diet is varied to begin with then it doesn't really matter...

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am not a planner and just wing it as I go and am very successful that way. I don't stick to a meal plan, but my breakfast and lunches don't tend to change much, especially weekdays. I calculate macros/calories after each meal and see what I have left to work with and make the necessary diet tweaks. At the end of the day, whatever I am low on is what I will have.

I use Daily Burn, have tracked for a long time, and have it all my typical foods saved to favorites, so it takes me seconds.

NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Plan ahead is the best to make sure you get all cals and macros.

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm cutting at the mo so I'm quite into planning and as it's limited, I'm probably over-focussed on food. Weekday breakfasts and lunches are planned the night before, cals tallied etc. Dinners it depends what I feel like. Weekends are less structured.

I like leaving cals for the end of the day so I can have a bit of whatever I fancy if a particular whim strikes. If I'm under in cals I don't always have what I should to meet exact macros if I'm not hungry. Really depends.
    Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    To me, planning is as important a bulk/cut success tool as deloading is to your training. Like everyone else Mon-Fri are pretty much the same and then the weekends get a little bit less pre planned. I cook on Sundays for the week. I'll make 6 qts of salad, at least 5 3-oz chicken breasts, hard boil eggs and pre cook the meat for dinners whenever possible. I throw everything into a planner and do the best I can to hit it all but I'm never anywhere near perfect. It does help though.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10) cdawtrey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I definitely plan ahead....if not, then I wouldn't have any calories left for dinner or the evening!!!

Solid advice here, thanks everyone!! Majority seems to be that planning ahead is the way to go...really like the idea of cooking ahead too. I'll definitely start doing this.

And here I thought everyone was just really good at constantly tracking what they just ate and I wasn't disciplined enough to immediately write it all down

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    I am not a planner and just wing it as I go and am very successful that way. I don't stick to a meal plan, but my breakfast and lunches don't tend to change much, especially weekdays. I calculate macros/calories after each meal and see what I have left to work with and make the necessary diet tweaks. At the end of the day, whatever I am low on is what I will have.

I use Daily Burn, have tracked for a long time, and have it all my typical foods saved to favorites, so it takes me seconds.
    Exacty this^^ except I don't log and check my macros until before dinner, and I only do that when cutting. I know about what I need to eat at this point, X amount of protein, Y amount of fat, carbs to fill in. I check before dinner to make sure I eat what I need to eat (usually more protein and fat) before bed.

My lifestyle habits are such that there are always alot of fresh fruits/vegs around and I do make a bunch of grilled meat at once and freeze it in baggies in the freezer. That way I always have a big ole chicken breast or lean steak ready to go for a salad or sandwich or whatever. Once a month I will make various high protein crock pot type of recipes and freeze those in portion sizes. When I am in a rush and starving, I pop one out and know exactly what the macros are (I keep the recipes in DailyBurn). Cans of tuna and salmon are good to have around too.

I don't pre-plan menus, meals, or days however.

I do LOVE breakfast and do make this in advance once a week and keep a big bowl of steel cut oats already cooked or a kamut/farro breakfast bake in the fridge. I just scoop or cut out a portion in the am and heat in microwave.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dagame04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hate to post something stupid but could somebody post the link to the macros stickey. I want to understand that better. I do agree with most of you though pre planning is very important.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dagame04 View Post
    I hate to post something stupid but could somebody post the link to the macros stickey. I want to understand that better. I do agree with most of you though pre planning is very important.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921