Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

*NEVER TRAINED BEFORE* Uber Noob using Ripptoe's Starting Strength *LOG*

After much consideration and users suggesting I go to Starting Strength, I humbly obliged.

I have never seriously trained anything or in particular the deadlift, squat, bent over row, military press, or bench press. Now's my chance with this program!

I'll be posting pics up as I go along.

As for the workout I started with MADCOWS last week and switched to Starting strength this week I felt the workout from Madcows was similar to the one I`d be doing in workout A so I started with workout B on monday for this week.

This is what my second day looked like Week 2 Day 3 Workout A
    Week 2 Day 3:
    Squat - 100lbs 3 set of 5 reps 27.5lb on each side. I`ll try adding 5lbs on friday equaling 32.5lb totaling 110lbs.
    Bench - 85lbs 2 set of 5 reps 20lbs on each side. I`ll try adding 5lbs on monday each side totaling 95lbs.
    Deadlift - 95lbs 1 set of 5 reps 25lbs on each side. I`ll try adding 27.5 lb on each side on monday totaling 100lbs.

I`m not sure if I add the barbell weight on top of the weights I add on each side lol.

My main problem with this workout was the bench I came in doing warmup sets of 10lb on each side, than 15lb on each side, than 20lb eachside. Worked my way up to 25 as my working sets. However, at this point I failed could barely get through to the 3rd rep. So I downed the weight to 20lb on eachside and could only handle 2sets of 5reps. Is doing warmup sets for the bench not necessary? I felt I drained myself before I could get to my working sets.

As for the squat and deadlift I did similar warmup sets and everything was fantastic. Besides a strange numbness in my lower back area after doing the deadlift. As I'm writing this it feels to have gotten better but still a little tight/numb weird sensation. A raise for concern? Oh and also does the sequence of the workout matter? I did the bench first, than squat, and deadlift.

My goal with this program is to get toned and gain strength.
    Oh and also I'll be taking pre workout Assault MP.

Any tips or advice will be much appreciated, I'll post an update to this log every time I've done a workout.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by RichyN; 03-28-2012 at 03:16 PM.

KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You aren't going to get toned with this workout but will definitely gain mass and strength. Also for deadlift, increase by 10 pounds instead of 5. Your body can handle 10lbs increase on deadlift.

Also, i'll sub to this. So you better update regularly

RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichyN has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks, Kerkeey I'll do that for my next workout. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle it since this is my first time deadlifting.

week 2 day 5

Weight:149lbs

Bent over Row: 95lbs 3set of 5reps
    Squat: 105lbs 3set of 5reps
    Military Press: 55lbs 3 set of 5 reps
    Dips: 2set of 5reps

Tried to chin up but couldn't get 1 rep lol.

Was a good work out until I got to the military press. I initially did 2 warm up sets of 3 with upping the weight to 75lbs but as I got to the last rep I felt my form was bad and I couldn't press another. So I downed it to 65 and still couldn't get the 5 reps, went down again to 55lbs and got it done there. I'm kind of disappointed in myself, any tips for strengthening the press?

KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarKeey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Only add 5 pounds each workout (2.50lbs plate on each side) in MP. That thing is hard to progress on. Don't be jumping to 75 from 55.

Week 3 Day 1:

Scale Weight:149.5lbs

Squat - 115lbs 3 set of 5 reps (felt stronger/confident than last weeks session so added 10 pounds instead of 5 here)
    Bench - 90lbs 3 set of 5 reps (added 5 lbs because of the fail last week, may add 10 lbs on friday depending on the feel)
    Deadlift - 115lbs 2 set of 5 reps (felt very good and not to tired after first set so I did another set. Maybe due to the low weight or because I reseted to starting possition after each rep. Don't know if it affects the DL but I saw a video on youtube saying it was safer to reset after each rep)
    Assisted chin ups 2 set of 6 reps

Felt good today, I hardly broke a sweat the weekend seemed to have healed my body fairly well. Thanks for the MP advice Kerkeey, I feel like I can hit up the gym again tomorrow. I've read into babylover's modified ripptoe program (cannot post link b/c of low post count can be googled) and I might just start doing it.
    Last edited by RichyN; 04-02-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Week 3 day 2
    Squat 3x5x135lbs
    MPress 3x5x70lbs
    Row 3x5x105lbs
    Dips 2x5
    Chin Up 2x5 assist 60lbs

Decided to go again today b/c I'm feeling good not as sore as last week. Workout was great!

Weight 149.5lbs

Week 3 day 3

squat 3x5x155lbs
    Bench 3x5x95lbs
    Dead lift 3x5x145lbs
    Dips 2x8
    Chin ups 2x8x50lb Assist

Was an overall good work out, I felt my form for the squat was a little off though besides that everything was A-okay. Will go again tomorrow if not sore in the morning.
    Last edited by RichyN; 04-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Week 3 Day 4
    Squat 3x5x165lbs
    Row 3x5x115lbs
    Press 3x5x65lbs

my form for the squat was good this time. However, after I finished my legs felt real sore. As for the row I'll only do 5lb up on the next workout. Failing with the press still could be because of yesterdays workout. Going to take a 3 day break b/c I don't think I could take another day of squats.

Insane squats progression. You must have strong legs!

thanks karkeey, thought I lost you. May I ask what your routines like?

Originally Posted by RichyN View Post
    thanks karkeey, thought I lost you. May I ask what your routines like?
    I'm on SS as well but hella weaker than you. You must have a lot of natural strength if you're able to increase weights like that although you shouldn't be doing that. Just go with the rule: 5 or 10 pounds increase so that you keep making linear gains and don't stall early.

Day 8 in SS by the way.

I believe this is a quote from the Ripptoe SS book. For people like us just starting, We should up it quite a bit until the load gets unbearable than cut the upping to half like it says. Hope this helps. Oh yeah feel free to post your log in this thread also I'll change the title I'd like to see the contrast.

I'm 5'7'' and weight in at 151lbs.

For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.

week 3 day 5
    Squat 1x5x175lbs 1x3x170lbs
    Bench 3x5x100lbs
    Dips 2x8
    Chin ups 1x8x40lb 1x6x40lb

Terrible! Terrible! workout today. First time I failed squats, my body was telling me not to go today but my mind was telling me other wise lol. So I do the first set perfectly fine form was good everything felt fine just pushed it like any other day. I take a 3 - 4 minute break than go for my second set, the first rep was good the push coming up was a little tough. Than second rep comes as I'm trying to push back up midway my form breaks I fall forward and the barbell falls onto the safety bars lol. Guy beside me laughs hahaha. fu*k. So I down it on my second set and say fu*k it after my 3rd rep don't know if my legs can handle anymore.

Bench was good and everything else was good. Decided not to do deadlift because of the failed squats.

Lesson of the day: Beginners don't do squats 5 days in a row, DON't DO IT!. I should have worked my way upto doing 5 consecutive days. I'll try the 175lb squat on monday.
    Last edited by RichyN; 04-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Week 4 day 1
    Squat 3x5x155lbs
    Row 3x5x115lbs
    Press 1x5x80lbs 1x5x75lbs 3x5x65lbs
    Dips 2x8
    Chinups 1x8x30lb 1x6x30lb assist

Brought my squat back down to 155lbs after trying to do 165lb and noticed that my form was worst than last weeks. As for ROW I forgot how much I put on last week so I just put on what I was comfortable with and gladly did so b/c now I'd have better my ROW form. Still having trouble with MPRESS, don't know why but could be because of dips and chins on friday.

Going to do CHINS and DIPS on Wednesday.

Weight: 153lbs

Week 4 day 3
    Squat 3x5x165lbs
    Bench 3x5x105lbs
    Deadlift 3x5x175lbs
    Dips 2x8

GREAT WORKOUT! everything went up perfectly fine. took a days rest in between and am following the regular SS now.
    Last edited by RichyN; 04-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Weight: 152lbs

Week 4 Day 5
    Squat 3x5x175lbs
    Row 3x5x140lbs
    Press 3x5x70lbs

Chin Ups1x5x20lbs

Wasn't able to do any more than one set of chinups at 20lbs assist. Overall a good work out, I'll be upping by 5lbs now on everything.

weight: 152.5lbs

week 5 day 1

squat 3x5x180lbs
    bench 1x3x110lbs

Didn't feel like going any longer b/c of studying late last night and on my last set of squats the left side of my head started hurting. went for a swim and steam room than i'm back to studying.

weight 151 lbs

week 5 day 3
    squat 3x5x185lbs
    bench 3x5x110lbs
    dead 3x5x185lbs

chins 2x5 1x3

REALL GOOD DAY

152.5lbs

week 5 day 5

S 3x5x185lbs
    B-R 3x5x140lbs
    M-P 3x5x70lbs

Chin 1x4 2x3
    Dip 1x5 2x4

great day, schools over time to work on diet and excersize! yeah baby. Woops on the squat, row, and press progressions lol.
    Last edited by RichyN; 04-20-2012 at 09:36 PM.

152 - 153 lbs

week 5 day 7

S 3x5x190lbs
    B 3x5x115lbs
    D-L 3x5x195lbs

Great workout today, finally passed squat with deadlift wasnt easy

152 lbs

Week 6 Day 1

S 3x5x195lbs
    B-R 3x5x145lbs
    M-P 3x5x75lbs

Chins 2x6 1x5

Great workout, going back on consecutive days gonna go again tomorrow!

152lbs

WEEK 6 DAY 2

S 3X5X200LBS
    B 3X5X120LBS
    DL 3X5X200LBS

CHIN 1X8
    DIP 2X8

GREAT WORKOUT, GOT EVERYTHING DONE QUICK AND EZ. TOMORROWS A REST DAY.

153lbs

week 6 day 4

s 3x5x205lbs
    br 1x5x150lbs 1x3x150lbs 1x2x150lbs
    mp 3x5x80lbs

chin 2x6

every thing but the bent over row was good. Going to reset row on monday to 140lbs.

153lbs

WEEK 6 DAY 5

S 3X5X210LBS
    B 3X5X115LBS
    DL 1X5X205LBS

CHIN 2X6 1X4
    Dip 2x6 1x4

GREAT WORK OUT OVERALL BUT BENCH WENT DOWN BY ACCIDENT WILL HAVE TO GO TO 125LBS NEXT TUESDAY
    Last edited by RichyN; 04-28-2012 at 12:37 PM.

cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000) cheesecake0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keep it up man! SS will serve you well if you stick with it

thanks alot cheesecake i thought i was talking to myself for awhile. Lol. need help getting pass this plateau of 152 - 153lbs. any help?

testing sig
    "Strength comes within, don't you ever give up no matter how far or distant that goal might seem."
    - RichyN

Goals for December 31, 2014:
    Squat 150lbs
    Bench 120lbs
    Bent Row 100lb
    Military press 65lbs
    Dead lift 155lbs
    Lat Pull 100lbs

Weight 165lbs
    Significant reduction in pot belly and a pants size from 34 to 32.

Lets make it happen!

weight 153lbs

week 7 day 1

s 2x5x230lbs
    dL 1x5x185lbs 1x245lbs 1x245lbs 1x245lbs

Dips 2x8

Great workout overall, a fun day messing around. lol.
    "Strength comes within, don't you ever give up no matter how far or distant that goal might seem."
    - RichyN

Squat 150lbs
    Bench 120lbs
    Bent Row 100lb
    Military press 65lbs
    Dead lift 155lbs
    Lat Pull 100lbs

Weight 165lbs

Lets make it happen!

153 lbs

week 7 day 2

s 1x5x220lbs
    br 3x5x140lbs
    mp 3x5x85lbs

dips 2x6

didn't feel like going hard on squats b/c back is strained from yesterday.
    - RichyN

Squat 150lbs
    Bench 120lbs
    Bent Row 100lb
    Military press 65lbs
    Dead lift 155lbs
    Lat Pull 100lbs

Weight 165lbs

Lets make it happen!