prm0516 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing fat while gaining muscle

I read the noob guides, but is this possible or is it more about maintaining muscle?

I lowered my calorie intake and started "Starting Strength" along with daily cardio last thursday.

What i am wondering is if i will still be able to gain muscle while burning fat off and what supplements may best be able to help me get there.

I am currently taking:
    Alive One a Day Mens
    ON Whey protein (2-3 shakes a day)
    Kre-Alkalyn

I am wondering what fat burning supplements/other supplements and stuff i can add to this to best get myself along here? I want to lose 20LBS of fat by june. I am brand new to lifting and working out, i have mantits and a gut. I am 6'5 240lbs.

Thanks guys if you need any other info to be able to help me just let me know!

kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by prm0516 View Post
    I read the noob guides, but is this possible or is it more about maintaining muscle?

I lowered my calorie intake and started "Starting Strength" along with daily cardio last thursday.

What i am wondering is if i will still be able to gain muscle while burning fat off and what supplements may best be able to help me get there.

I am currently taking:
    Alive One a Day Mens
    ON Whey protein (2-3 shakes a day)
    Kre-Alkalyn

I am wondering what fat burning supplements/other supplements and stuff i can add to this to best get myself along here? I want to lose 20LBS of fat by june. I am brand new to lifting and working out, i have mantits and a gut. I am 6'5 240lbs.

Thanks guys if you need any other info to be able to help me just let me know!
    Losing 20lbs will be tough but its not impossible, but 20lbs of 'fat' is incredibly difficult however you will have more chance for going all out on losing weight but with this muscle will go. You can lose fat and keep muscle but it is tougher:

My technique is

3 sessions a week of weights (30 - 50 minutes)
    Low cardio (cardio will lose weight but also can lose muscle without maintaining weights)
    1500 cals

Supplements I normally take are the Whey Protein (1 or 2 a day - but not going over 1500 cals), Kre-Alkalyn and Grenade tablets. People will say some supplements like fat burners are a waste but if it works for you than keep at it. I think I was miscalculating my cals and having more than I was and since checking this - the weight loss has started but I am still seeing definition (ie losing fat but keeping muscle) - its not really possible to lose fat and gain muscle but you can certainly lose fat and retain muscle or gain muscle and keep the fat minimum.

There are more qualified people than me on here but thats my experience.

Originally Posted by kylecar View Post
    Losing 20lbs will be tough but its not impossible, but 20lbs of 'fat' is incredibly difficult however you will have more chance for going all out on losing weight but with this muscle will go. You can lose fat and keep muscle but it is tougher:

My technique is

3 sessions a week of weights (30 - 50 minutes)
    Low cardio (cardio will lose weight but also can lose muscle without maintaining weights)
    1500 cals

Supplements I normally take are the Whey Protein (1 or 2 a day - but not going over 1500 cals), Kre-Alkalyn and Grenade tablets. People will say some supplements like fat burners are a waste but if it works for you than keep at it. I think I was miscalculating my cals and having more than I was and since checking this - the weight loss has started but I am still seeing definition (ie losing fat but keeping muscle) - its not really possible to lose fat and gain muscle but you can certainly lose fat and retain muscle or gain muscle and keep the fat minimum.

There are more qualified people than me on here but thats my experience.
    Thanks, thats what i kind of figured, I mean is burning 20lbs the best way to go anyways? i have a decent stomach and mantits, so would putting muscle on help reduce the look of that or just burn the fat away then put muscle on. Mind you, i am a very scrawny person who just became skinny fat, and i got fed up so i am getting in shape.

kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kylecar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by prm0516 View Post
    Thanks, thats what i kind of figured, I mean is burning 20lbs the best way to go anyways? i have a decent stomach and mantits, so would putting muscle on help reduce the look of that or just burn the fat away then put muscle on. Mind you, i am a very scrawny person who just became skinny fat, and i got fed up so i am getting in shape.
    Depends on your shape bro. Sometimes you never know until you are at that stage. Ideally you want to be getting lean and then putting muscle on. It depends on your timescales.

Why June in particulary for 20 pounds?

djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000)
    You cant really gain muscle while losing fat. You're eating in a caloric deficit to lose weight, so technically you can be building new muscle. Being that you are new to lifting, you will experience whats called "newbie gains" and gain a little muscle, but that's not really that much. If you have a decent base already, just eat at maintenance level and hit the weights hard. That will help even your body out, eat up some fat, and give you a good proportional look.

Tdj85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Being an overweight beginner I def think its possible. I started lifting and dieting in late November and have dropped 30 lbs and significantly increased all my lifts. Currently 5-10" 188lbs. My lifts are still going up weekly and Im on a 1600 kcal diet. Could be a lot of cns gains so who knows
    I usually just browse and this is my first post so take it for what it's worth but this is my personal expierence. Hit the gym hard and don't cheat yourself on the diet and you'll be surprised by the results.

Registered User GMLFTMBCIFASLHO's Avatar
    GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50) GMLFTMBCIFASLHO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A while back, I lost tons of weight, and looked pretty decent in clothes. I was not obese, but at the same time, i had no lean mass. I was skinny fat. and in no time, i gained all the weight back, because my metabolism was so slow. i was probably eating about 1200 calories at the time of weight loss.

this time around, i'm lifting weights, doing cardio 2x per week, and eating 2200 calories. currently aiming to lose between 1-2lbs per week, and i am not even kidding you, the weight is slowly coming off, and my muscles seem to be either developing, or maintaining. my lifts have gone up. I'm guessing its newbie gains? so imo, yes, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle when starting out. or maybe i'm not gaining muscle, and the fat loss is just emphasizing more muscle? I'm not sure.

whatever the mechanism, i've definitely noticed a change in my body shape. and eating 2200 calories a day, and still losing 1-2 lbs per week feels very good. for me, it took about 4 weeks to figure out my maintenance, and find a good routine. be patient, have a starting point, and if you're serious about this then you have to track your calories, and see what its doing to your weight.

if you lose more than 2lbs per week, then either do less cardio, or eat more calories. if you lose less than 1lb per week, either eat less calories, or do more cardio. but no matter what happens - you must lift weights! btw, everything i wrote is all in the stickies. and its explained 10x better there. read the stickies, then come back with some questions if you don't understand something that's already been written by others.

Originally Posted by kylecar View Post
    Depends on your shape bro. Sometimes you never know until you are at that stage. Ideally you want to be getting lean and then putting muscle on. It depends on your timescales.

Why June in particulary for 20 pounds?
    Summertime! I live by the beach and i want to be confident in how i look!

Originally Posted by djlogik View Post
    You cant really gain muscle while losing fat. You're eating in a caloric deficit to lose weight, so technically you can be building new muscle. Being that you are new to lifting, you will experience whats called "newbie gains" and gain a little muscle, but that's not really that much. If you have a decent base already, just eat at maintenance level and hit the weights hard. That will help even your body out, eat up some fat, and give you a good proportional look.
    Here is what i currently look like, 3 picture album: EDIT: I PUT THE PICS IN MY PROGRESS PICS, TOO BAD I CANT LINK THEM.
    I dont think i have any sort of base.
    Last edited by prm0516; 03-28-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Not letting me edit for some reason. Also still looking for any supplement combinations anyone may have in addition to what im taking, or possibly in replacement. Thanks!

Anybody have any input on Jimmy's Animal Cut Stack? seems to be the best looking thing ive found so far, or is this for someone who is already in shape