Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Planning to Begin the Change!

Hey guys,

I have been directed to bodybuilding.com by a friend who uses the site and have been doing a lot of reading! Big props to Emma-Leigh, Diab0lic and a lot of the other forum regulars which have posted a lot of extremely useful information on the nutritional sides of things!

As much as I hate number crunching, I've been doing a lot of it lately and experimenting with what I may need to do diet wise. This will be the first time I've ever looked into the nutritional side of things so I know my body isn't going to be heading towards my goals without it!

All I'm looking for by posting this is some general advice and/or critique on if anyone thinks i need to change anything to benefit myself.

I will be posting all measurements in METRIC values for my peace of mind.

Im going to start out with body statistics and the maths there.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________

Sex: Male
    Height: 174cm
    Weight: 67kg

BMI Calc: BMI = Weight in KG / (Height in meters x Height in meters)
    BMI Calc: 22.13 = 67kg / (1.74 x 1.74)

A BMI of less than 18 means you are under weight.
    A BMI of less than 18.5 indicates you are thin for your height.
    A BMI between 18.6 and 24.9 indicates you are at a healthy weight.
    A BMI between 25 and 29.9 suggests you are overweight for your height.
    A BMI of 30 or greater indicates obesity. If you are obese, consider consulting a doctor or losing weight.

Good to know I'm at a 'healthy' weight!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________

Up next is BF% and LBM Calculations which will be derived from my BMI.

BF% Calc: BF% = (1.20 x BMI) + (0.23 x age) - (10.8 x sex) - 5.4 (Where sex for males is 1 and females is 0)
    BF% Calc: 15.646 BF% = (1.20 x 22.13) + (0.23 x 23) - (10.8 x 1) - 5.4

LBM Calc: LBM = [Total Weight(kg) x (100 - BF%)] / 100
    LBM Calc: 56.51718 = [67kg x (100 - 15.646)] / 100

A little about me!

I'm your average 23 year old male. I enjoy going out for a few drinks casually with friends and yes, I generally do get a bit carried away and know this has to change for me to follow through with what I'm trying to lay out for myself. I currently work as a Lifeguard, so job physical activity is at a higher level than most jobs due to training and general job duties. I go to gym currently three times a week but possibly going to up that to four or five, undecided currently as three seems to fit well with my lifestyle at the moment. Cardiovascular training comes with my job but getting up early in the morning sees me going for a morning jog, but I try to generally only do this on off days from the gym.

By using this brief summary of info I was able to generally gauge the following calculations which I will lay

Estimating Requirements for BMR.

The simplest method is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
    - 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
    - 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
    - 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].

For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is greater:
    - 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
    - 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

Using the following:

Katch-McArdle: Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

BMR Calc: BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
    BMR Calc: 1590.77 = 370 + (21.6 x 56.51718)

Estimation of Base Metabolic Rate = 1590.77 Calories.

Calculating my TEE.

As the above is only a BMR calculation, to convert BMR to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result of your BMR by an 'activity variable' to give TEE.

Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)

1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

TEE Calc: TEE = BMR x 1.6
    TEE Calc: 2545.232 = 1590.77 x 1.6

Estimation of Total Energy Expenditure: 2545.232 Calories.

Furthermore;

- To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to the total above
    - To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from the total above

TEE WG Re-Calc: TEE WG = 2545.232 x 1.15
    TEE WG Re-Calc: 2927.0168 = 2545.232 x 1.15

TEE WL Re-Calc: TEE WL = 2545.232 x 0.15
    TEE WL Re-Calc: 2163.4472 = 2545.232 x 0.15

Total Weight Gain Calorie Intake: 2927.

Protein: 4 Calories per gram
    Carbs: 4 Calories per gram
    Fats/Oils: 9 Calories per gram

Working out Macronutrient values required:

Carbohydrates:

Carb Calc: Carb(g) = 5g per KG
    Carb Calc: 335(g) = 5g x 67
    Carb Calc: 335g x 4 = 1340 Calories

Protein:

Protein Calc: Protein(g) = 2.2g per KG
    Protein Calc: 195(g) = 2.91 x 67
    Protein Calc: 195g x 4 = 780 Calories

Fats/Oils:

Fats Calc: Fat(g) = 1.35g per KG
    Fats Calc: 90(g) = 1.35 x 67
    Fats Calc: 90g x 9 = 810 Calories

Do these seem like okay figures for micronutrients considering I am a newbie to this side of the field?

From here, should I begin to take steps to plan out my actual meals? Or should I start looking in another direction beforehand?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottaayyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Forgot to mention

Sorry forgot to mention my goal is to get to about 85kg obviously wanting that to be lean mass. I know that's not going to happen straight away so am I to bulk on the above calculations and and continue gym and everything as normal and then cut after muscle development to my satisfaction?

Again, never looked at nutrition ever before!

Opps, some miscalculations!

Okay, so all day today whilst I had a chance I have been on the forums on my iPhone. I've realized that i've based all my macronutrient calculations on my TDE+15%.

I should be basing these calculations on my TDE and then separately adding the 10-15% calorie increase after those calculations and making up the left over calories with foods I choose? Or does it not really matter how I have done the calculations?

I know I only have three posts but it would mean a lot to me if someone could give me an informative reply.

Thanks,

Scott

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scottaayyy View Post
    Okay, so all day today whilst I had a chance I have been on the forums on my iPhone. I've realized that i've based all my macronutrient calculations on my TDE+15%.

I should be basing these calculations on my TDE and then separately adding the 10-15% calorie increase after those calculations and making up the left over calories with foods I choose? Or does it not really matter how I have done the calculations?

I know I only have three posts but it would mean a lot to me if someone could give me an informative reply.

Thanks,

Scott
    You did your calculations fine assuming you're getting 1g/lb of protein + and 0.4g/lb of fat +
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    You did your calculations fine assuming you're getting 1g/lb of protein + and 0.4g/lb of fat +
    But should I only be basing those calculations on my base TEE? or my TEE+15% for bulk? Carbs seem extremely high compared to some people i've seen, although I know that that is not necessarily a bad thing.

As in, my TEE is 2545.232 calories. Should I only plan P/C/F up to the 2545.232 calories per day and then fill up to the total of 2927 calories with 'clean' 'healthy' foods? containing P/C/F? Or either way doesn't matter so long as I'm meeting my macros?

PS. 1kg = 2.20lbs

so 2.2/2 = 1.1g per 1.10lbs protein
    and 1.35/2 = 0.675 per 1.10lbs fats

edit: also if you were to judge from my avi (yes i know its not the best....) should i cut back for a more defined look then bulk or just start bulking now?

FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You should base them on your TDE and then add the 10-15% increase with any combination of fats, protein, carbs that you choose, but your way works fine.

So what I'd do is calculate the 2,927 as you did, then aim for minimums of 147 grams of protein (1 g/lb) and 66 grams of fat (0.45g/lb) and then your remaining calories (1,745) with any combination of protein/fat/carbs that you desire. But like I said, the way you did it hits those minimums, so you're fine.

Your calculated macros look great. The important thing is making sure you hit your calorie goal (~2,900) and the protein and fat minimums.

You are hitting those minimums easily so you're all set.

Through trial and error you'll determine if you function better on higher carbs or higher fat. Personally, I like a good amount of fat, something like 0.60-0.75 grams per pound, and a slightly fewer carbs, but it doesn't matter in terms of body composition. I just seem to have more energy that way plus I enjoy peanut butter and olive oil a lot. If I did not like peanut butter and olive oil and loved potatoes, I'd fill more of my remaining calories with carbs. If I loved chicken and turkey, I'd fill more of my remaining calories with protein. Just a matter of preference once the minimums for protein and fat are hit.

Hope that helps!

FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But should I only be basing those calculations on my base TEE? or my TEE+15% for bulk? Carbs seem extremely high compared to some people i've seen, although I know that that is not necessarily a bad thing.

As in, my TEE is 2545.232 calories. Should I only plan P/C/F up to the 2545.232 calories per day and then fill up to the total of 2927 calories with 'clean' 'healthy' foods? containing P/C/F? Or either way doesn't matter so long as I'm meeting my macros?

PS. 1kg = 2.20lbs

so 2.2/2 = 1.1g per 1.10lbs protein
    and 1.35/2 = 0.675 per 1.10lbs fats

edit: also if you were to judge from my avi (yes i know its not the best....) should i cut back for a more defined look then bulk or just start bulking now?
    Base your protein and fat off your bodyweight. Then subtract those calories from your TDEE (2,927) and fill those remaining calories with any combo of protein/carbs/fat that you choose.

As for your edit - BULK!!!

Originally Posted by FitnessCPA View Post
    You should base them on your TDE and then add the 10-15% increase with any combination of fats, protein, carbs that you choose, but your way works fine.

So what I'd do is calculate the 2,927 as you did, then aim for minimums of 147 grams of protein (1 g/lb) and 66 grams of fat (0.45g/lb) and then your remaining calories (1,745) with any combination of protein/fat/carbs that you desire. But like I said, the way you did it hits those minimums, so you're fine.

Your calculated macros look great. The important thing is making sure you hit your calorie goal (~2,900) and the protein and fat minimums.

You are hitting those minimums easily so you're all set.

Through trial and error you'll determine if you function better on higher carbs or higher fat. Personally, I like a good amount of fat, something like 0.60-0.75 grams per pound, and a slightly fewer carbs, but it doesn't matter in terms of body composition. I just seem to have more energy that way plus I enjoy peanut butter and olive oil a lot. If I did not like peanut butter and olive oil and loved potatoes, I'd fill more of my remaining calories with carbs. If I loved chicken and turkey, I'd fill more of my remaining calories with protein. Just a matter of preference once the minimums for protein and fat are hit.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks a bunch, I thought either way would work, but I think I'm swinging back more to basing my macros from me TEE (TDE) and then eating what i feel like filling the rest with.. Leaves the window open to a bit of option.

Also, for someone my size, does the 2927 after the 15% for a bulk seem reasonable? Or a little low?

Cheers for the information guys, won't go un-noticed and hopefully with your help can start seeing some change and a bit of a transformation which is long overdue!

Base your protein and fat off your bodyweight. Then subtract those calories from your TDEE (2,927) and fill those remaining calories with any combo of protein/carbs/fat that you choose.

As for your edit - BULK!!!
    Cheers again! Was the way I was leaning, just wanted some second opinions. Ive seen a lot of mixed posts from people saying that, cutting your BF% down and leaning before you bulk will help the bulk phase, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense considering what your going to be putting on in your bulk is more BF% and mass and then going from that to a cut to take off the fat from the new masses Correct?

Also, for someone my size, does the 2927 after the 15% for a bulk seem reasonable? Or a little low?
    I weigh about as much as you do, although I'm shorter. My avatar pic is from a couple weeks ago, to give you an idea.

I eat around 3,100-3,200 calories a day and I'm gaining so far, around an average of a half pound a week. I lift hard and heavy 3x a week and do 2x a week moderate intensity cardio on the elliptical for 40 minutes. Work a desk job but I do go for a 10-minute walk a couple times a day.

So, 2,927 is a decent start. Just start there and monitor your gains every week or two and adjust as needed. Realize, though, that you'll probably gain weight the first week or two quickly because of the extra food and glycogen and sodium in your system, if it is more than you're currently eating. So don't pay much attention to the gains for the first couple weeks.

Cheers again! Was the way I was leaning, just wanted some second opinions. Ive seen a lot of mixed posts from people saying that, cutting your BF% down and leaning before you bulk will help the bulk phase, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense considering what your going to be putting on in your bulk is more BF% and mass and then going from that to a cut to take off the fat from the new masses Correct?
    Exactly. My thoughts are if you're skinny without a lot of muscle (like both of us are) and you decide to cut, what are you cutting down to?

I'd rather bulk, build some mass, then cut the fat and cut down to the muscle, ideally.

I weigh about as much as you do, although I'm shorter. My avatar pic is from a couple weeks ago, to give you an idea.

I eat around 3,100-3,200 calories a day and I'm gaining so far, around an average of a half pound a week. I lift hard and heavy 3x a week and do 2x a week moderate intensity cardio on the elliptical for 40 minutes. Work a desk job but I do go for a 10-minute walk a couple times a day.

So, 2,927 is a decent start. Just start there and monitor your gains every week or two and adjust as needed. Realize, though, that you'll probably gain weight the first week or two quickly because of the extra food and glycogen and sodium in your system, if it is more than you're currently eating. So don't pay much attention to the gains for the first couple weeks.
    That gives me some good reference grounds! Although my arms are skin and bone and don't have any muscle, so I'd like to know where my weight is hiding! I was considering changing to Rippetoe's or All-Pro's to get going on a particular routine. I like the concept of All-Pro's after each week increasing rep +1 and after week 4 if you hit all sets at 12 reps upping your weight, with 1x heavy, 1x moderate and 1x light day which would fit my current 3x a week schedule but i just don't think its enough lifting. Maybe throw in more exercises and then cardiovascular training every other day?

I know not to watch the scales for those first couple of weeks after starting a new diet due to water retention and the others which you listed above, and even if i did i wouldn't let it sidetrack me. But yes, following by the 2,927 i believe it is currently more than i am eating now, except what i'm eating now doesn't meet macros at all

Exactly. My thoughts are if you're skinny without a lot of muscle (like both of us are) and you decide to cut, what are you cutting down to?

I'd rather bulk, build some mass, then cut the fat and cut down to the muscle, ideally.
    Exactly what i was getting at as well, bulk it is!!

Thanks!

I highly recommend a program like Rippetoe's Starting Strength or a similar program, Stronglifts 5x5.

Both are great for beginners - they are no frills. Just big, heavy exercises that use a lot of muscle. Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, and either rows or cleans, depending on which program you choose.

Choose one of those, work hard, eat, and you'll gain strength very quickly.

I highly recommend a program like Rippetoe's Starting Strength or a similar program, Stronglifts 5x5.

Both are great for beginners - they are no frills. Just big, heavy exercises that use a lot of muscle. Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, and either rows or cleans, depending on which program you choose.

Choose one of those, work hard, eat, and you'll gain strength very quickly.
    Would you suggest following Rippetoes until I am happy with my strength gain and then switching to something more focused on individual muscle areas by running a 4/5 day split? Or will Rippetoes add some definite size at the same time?

Would you suggest following Rippetoes until I am happy with my strength gain and then switching to something more focused on individual muscle areas by running a 4/5 day split? Or will Rippetoes add some definite size at the same time?
    It will absolutely add size, no doubt about it.

As a beginner, you will see great gains doing any kind of strength program. The stronger you get, the bigger your muscles get. That goes for anybody. Muscle size and strength are directly correlated. All things equal, a guy with bigger pec muscles will bench press more than a guy with smaller pec muscles. Just how often do you see a thin guy benching 300 pounds? Not very often. Get strong and the size will take care of itself.

It will absolutely add size, no doubt about it.

As a beginner, you will see great gains doing any kind of strength program. The stronger you get, the bigger your muscles get. That goes for anybody. Muscle size and strength are directly correlated. All things equal, a guy with bigger pec muscles will bench press more than a guy with smaller pec muscles. Just how often do you see a thin guy benching 300 pounds? Not very often. Get strong and the size will take care of itself.
    Thanks again!

Will be looking at devising meals etc for this week and hopefully be able to start a journal and the journey together on Sunday/Monday.

Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    start today mate!

Grab yourself an Iphone / Android app with a calorie counter (myfitnesspal works well for me) and get that food into you. I've attacked it in many different ways, the most productive seems to be the most simple - count calories, hit your P/F for the day and Eat.

I'm cutting, and losing steady eating my daily cals... it's a mix of super healthy looking food, and down right dirty delicious food I keep it all logged in my phone and just stop eating for the day when I hit my limit.

Your job would be pretty active, I imagine. If you find 3k cals isnt enough to put on weight (give it a few weeks) - up it by a few hundred and monitor.

Hit the big 5's (Squat, Deadlifts, Bench, Barbell Rows, Military Press) - get your form worked out then go heavy. and make sure you train with purpose and intensity.

Originally Posted by Davidmau View Post
    start today mate!

Grab yourself an Iphone / Android app with a calorie counter (myfitnesspal works well for me) and get that food into you. I've attacked it in many different ways, the most productive seems to be the most simple - count calories, hit your P/F for the day and Eat.

I'm cutting, and losing steady eating my daily cals... it's a mix of super healthy looking food, and down right dirty delicious food I keep it all logged in my phone and just stop eating for the day when I hit my limit.

Your job would be pretty active, I imagine. If you find 3k cals isnt enough to put on weight (give it a few weeks) - up it by a few hundred and monitor.

Hit the big 5's (Squat, Deadlifts, Bench, Barbell Rows, Military Press) - get your form worked out then go heavy. and make sure you train with purpose and intensity.
    I have an iPhone 4s. I don't mind spending a decent amount of money on an app which im going to be using every single day!

The main problem I see is I'm not a very creative thinker when it comes to making a meal out of what I have in the house. Yes, I can cook but I'd find it all so much easier if I made myself a couple of lists for daily planned food. At least that way I won't be eating the same thing day in day out as well. But I suppose if I make one list of meals and it's not too expensive for day to day and it works for me why bother mixing it up?

I have my fitness pal, calorie count and cal counter. Also have Gymgoal and JEFIT for gym rep/set and excersise tracking and pause timings.

Any other suggestions?

Will be compiling a meal list tonight/tomorrow as after today I have two days off work!! =D

I don't worry about making "meals." I just eat food that I like that fits my macros. For lunch yesterday I had some pasta with ground beef and vegetables, two scrambled eggs, and about 30 almonds. A weird combination and certainly not a typical meal that goes together, but I like it all and it fit my macros.

Just do what you find works for you to hit your macros and calories.

If you find 3k cals isnt enough to put on weight (give it a few weeks) - up it by a few hundred and monitor.

Exactly. Emphasis on the bold. Start light and have good form. And I mean light light, as in the bar. No shame there. When you're comfortable with each exercise, then add five pounds per workout until you can't anymore. Then the fun begins.

Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Davidmau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    myfitnesspal has the Cal counter / meal diary in it - it's great. Gives you a breakdown of your P/F/C etc and has a massive database of most foods. That's all you really need and it's only a few dollars.

I find it easier with a pen/paper spreadsheet on a clipboard when tracking my lifts... phone can get annoying in the middle of a session, quicker to pick up a pen and scribble, IMO.

I do my day of food kind of on the fly... you get the hang of it eventually. It's good at the start to plan ahead but you'll pick it up quick. I used to eat the same thing day in day out (man it was cheap) but VERY boring.

stuff I find handy to keep around the house...

tins of tuna (sirena tuna in chili oil = win)
    chicken breast / thigh in freezer
    steak in freezer
    bread, rice
    natural peanut butter
    bananas
    cheese
    milk
    whey protein
    almonds
    avocado
    smoked salmon
    oats
    zuchinni, mushrooms, capsicum, carrots, potato, brocolli, beans etc
    soy sauce, mustards, spices, herbs etc
    even stuff like McCains frozen pizza singles if you are in a lazy mood (like 200 cal a pizza single, good to fill a gap on a lazy sunday )

I just slap random food together sometimes, people at work look at me like i'm a wierdo (roast beef from woolies, with cheese melted ontop with hot perri perri sauce... eat slices by hand with cheese dripping.... mmm)

look at the "meals eating now" threads for ideas

I made a cheesecake the other day from the forums, was about 1k calories and ate the whole thing that day. so good. Also made a few other things like deep dish non crust pizzas etc. Lots of fun ideas when you have the time.

food on the run if you have to, most fast food chains put up nutrional info on their sites so you can check calories, P/F/C before ordering (most of it is on Myfitnesspal too!)

Burritos (Guzman Y Gomez if you have one near your place come in at around 800 cal each - good nutritional info on their site and ingrediants look pretty fresh - i have one most weeks for dinner )
    oportos burgers
    subway
    KFC, Maccas (generally just the burgers if i get desperate or have a mega craving :P)

Dont force yourself to eat crap you dont like though, or boring food... there's no need and plenty of alternatives to fit into your macros

I don't worry about making "meals." I just eat food that I like that fits my macros. For lunch yesterday I had some pasta with ground beef and vegetables, two scrambled eggs, and about 30 almonds. A weird combination and certainly not a typical meal that goes together, but I like it all and it fit my macros.

Just do what you find works for you to hit your macros and calories.
    I think I definitely will start out by planning day meals until I'm actually used to just slapping meals together and a little more competent at knowing roughly what p/f/c's are in each ingredient for each meal and then I should be able to just randomly throw meals together.

Exactly. Emphasis on the bold. Start light and have good form. And I mean light light, as in the bar. No shame there. When you're comfortable with each exercise, then add five pounds per workout until you can't anymore. Then the fun begins.
    I've never really ever lifted heavy. My main problem is I go to a 24/7 gym which at times is unstaffed to they don't have a free standing BB. They have a smith machine and DB's though. Suitable substitutes??

myfitnesspal has the Cal counter / meal diary in it - it's great. Gives you a breakdown of your P/F/C etc and has a massive database of most foods. That's all you really need and it's only a few dollars.

I find it easier with a pen/paper spreadsheet on a clipboard when tracking my lifts... phone can get annoying in the middle of a session, quicker to pick up a pen and scribble, IMO.

I do my day of food kind of on the fly... you get the hang of it eventually. It's good at the start to plan ahead but you'll pick it up quick. I used to eat the same thing day in day out (man it was cheap) but VERY boring.

stuff I find handy to keep around the house...

tins of tuna (sirena tuna in chili oil = win)
    chicken breast / thigh in freezer
    steak in freezer
    bread, rice
    natural peanut butter
    bananas
    cheese
    milk
    whey protein
    almonds
    avocado
    smoked salmon
    oats
    zuchinni, mushrooms, capsicum, carrots, potato, brocolli, beans etc
    soy sauce, mustards, spices, herbs etc
    even stuff like McCains frozen pizza singles if you are in a lazy mood (like 200 cal a pizza single, good to fill a gap on a lazy sunday )

I just slap random food together sometimes, people at work look at me like i'm a wierdo (roast beef from woolies, with cheese melted ontop with hot perri perri sauce... eat slices by hand with cheese dripping.... mmm)

look at the "meals eating now" threads for ideas

I made a cheesecake the other day from the forums, was about 1k calories and ate the whole thing that day. so good. Also made a few other things like deep dish non crust pizzas etc. Lots of fun ideas when you have the time.

food on the run if you have to, most fast food chains put up nutrional info on their sites so you can check calories, P/F/C before ordering (most of it is on Myfitnesspal too!)

Burritos (Guzman Y Gomez if you have one near your place come in at around 800 cal each - good nutritional info on their site and ingrediants look pretty fresh - i have one most weeks for dinner )
    oportos burgers
    subway
    KFC, Maccas (generally just the burgers if i get desperate or have a mega craving :P)

Dont force yourself to eat crap you dont like though, or boring food... there's no need and plenty of alternatives to fit into your macros
    Myfitnesspal seems to be the way I'm leaning with GymGoal. Both seem to be rather good apps with a lot of options within them. However I will probably test some of the others which I have found or that pop up over time.

I'm pretty good with my phone and fairly quick at entering data and getting what I need done in a timely manner. Even right now typing this I am on my phone whilst browsing other sections of the forum for more informational reading!

That's a good list of sub-foods to generate meals from, thanks. I'll keep that in mind! I'll also be sure to keep an eye on the "meals eating now" thread. As you mentioned it will definitely open my eyes to options for food

I'm also in Australia so our food chains (fast food) are slightly different but we still have the likes of KFC and McDonalds even though I'll be trying to avoid them unless I'm feeling extremely lazy and/or going to all under my caloric intake for the day.

Yeah I'm in Aus too..
    Although still not great food, our beef / chicken etc is much better quality than what you get a mcdonalds / kfc in the states. They have nutrition pages on their sites with a breakdown of P/C/F

I still log ingrediants, weight / measure before I cook.

That's a bit strange - they don't have a Barbell at the gym?

Smith machine, no.

Dumbbells, for bench, overhead press, and rows, but not squat and deadlifts. You could do them for all, but for heavy squats, forget it. Deadlifts, they're just awkward.

You really need to find some barbells, though.

Personally I'd find a new gym if they don't have barbells

Yeah I'm in Aus too..
    Although still not great food, our beef / chicken etc is much better quality than what you get a mcdonalds / kfc in the states. They have nutrition pages on their sites with a breakdown of P/C/F

I still log ingrediants, weight / measure before I cook.

That's a bit strange - they don't have a Barbell at the gym?
    Okay I'll keep that in mind, guess I should outsource my favorite burgers and wraps nutrition values now incase I ever do feel incredibly lazy hahaha.

Yeah I'm going to be buying some scales to count properly. Number 1 on my list at the moment.

It's a health and safety issue and also to cover the gym incase someone seriously injures themselves during unstaffed hours. Only thing I can do is either A) swap gyms or B) buy a barbell for home.

Smith machine, no.

Dumbbells, for bench, overhead press, and rows, but not squat and deadlifts. You could do them for all, but for heavy squats, forget it. Deadlifts, they're just awkward.

You really need to find some barbells, though.
    I have been using DB's for benchs an overheads whenever doing these exercises. We have a squat machine, I know people dislike the idea of using the machine as free weights are 'superior' but for now it's the only thing close enough.

Dead lifts on the other hand as you mentioned I have no alternatives.

The important thing is to just lift heavy weights - after you learn good form and get some practice in, of course.

Work with what you have and don't worry about the rest.

The important thing is to just lift heavy weights - after you learn good form and get some practice in, of course.

Work with what you have and don't worry about the rest.
    Agreed - but if he has the option of going to a different local gym with the right equipment, may as well. If he has no other choice then yes.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks again to both of you!

Will return to the 'office' tonight aka the bedroom desk with a laptop to take care of all the final prep to start this long adventure.

If however anyone else has any other advice feel free to leave it here.

I will be upping a journal and workout log upon commencement.

Thanks again!

Another day, another question!

Hey again,

So today while I was down at the supermarket looking at ingredients for creating a list of meals to consume daily for myself I noticed that several items don't have their nutritional values listed on the packaging.

Is there a thread i've missed which explains rough ballpark figures for how much p/c/f's said ingredients may contain?

Eg. Chicken breast from the deli, fruit/veg, mince, pork, steak, most pre-packed meats do not list their nutritional values.

Anything I can do to work these out on paper?

Thanks,

Scott