Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Yeah, ThickAsABrick you *******.

It would give me astronomical pleasure to see him beat your AsS in a fight.
    haha no one is fighting here... just having a good weight lifting discussion lol

GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapplerPower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Anyone moving a good amount of weight on a DB press will be able to press a good amount on BB press. You don't magically get strong at one and stay super weak at another. Sure, some people may move a higher % of their BB 1RM with DBs vs. other people, but you get the point.

There are enough examples of people using both DBs and BBs with results that debating which one is "best" for everyone is idiotic. People who have been around gyms a while don't do things like that. They know better.
    Well I clearly stated that I use both in a post 20 minutes ago on this thread so i really don't know what the deal is...

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GrapplerPower View Post
    Wow, 3 people just in this thread alone who just said they turn to dumbbell bench press when they feel "pains". And what do you know, that was one of the three reasons I stated in my original post. hmmm....
    You're right. based upon the three people in this thread, we can now clearly and easily deduce that anyone who prefers DB bench falls into one of your cute little categories.

You win!
    Who was this love of yours?

Thanks!

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
    My gym stops at 100lb dumbells...

Being that I am working with those now, I am starting to worry about a lack of progression beyond that!

Oh yea, our bench is the squat rack.. so, that gets a bit... yea.. you get where I am going here.
    My gym unfortunately goes up to 75's so I know where you're coming from. If that's the only gym that's close/convenient to you, you may have to get creative and find ways to pre-exhaust before grabbing those 100's (pec deck, cable flyes, db flyes, etc.).

And to the OP, quick word of advise, do yourself a big favor now and stop thinking in terms of dumbbells > barbell or this > that. As others have pointed out, each method has their own advantages/disadvantages and the only way to know for sure what is truely better is to try everything and anything until you find what works best for you and your goals at the time.
    Last edited by terman1; 03-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Most people
    reading goes a long way

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    reading goes a long way
    so does making cogent points initially and then not backpedaling on them

cheers.

Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Black3vGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I switched to dumbbells because the left side of my chest is stronger then my right, and with barbell or smith my stronger side would help compensate for the weaker side. Now with dumbbells I can only push as hard as the weaker side can take.

so does making cogent points initially and then not backpedaling on them

cheers.
    I didn't backpedal on anything. I stated I used both dumbbells and barbells all in my original post. Just said I prefer to use Barbell but still use them both. Then continued to say that MOST (Not every single living heart beating person on the planet) individuals don't do barbell bench press due to pains they experience when they perform the lift.

Bottom line is that you got on here looking to tell someone off and try to correct someone by quoting specific sentences and certain phrases. Don't put words into my mouth, and if you want to do that, then correct something that I accuratley stated.

By the way reading goes a long way before trying to start an argument with someone...

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thyce View Post

dumbbell bench is apparently better for building mass on chest, rather than say a barbell, yet the weights are lighter? e.g. i can bench 85kg with a barbell, yet max 28kg per dumbbell per arm, which is 56kg in total?
    sounds like a noob bodybuilder asking a question about powerlifting. You are trying to build mass right? dont worry about how much weight you lift, worry about how much muscle you pack on. sounds like leaving your ego outside the gym might be the hardest part for you,but its ok, a lot of us suffer from that.

zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50) zaggermeister will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone moving a good amount of weight on a DB press will be able to press a good amount on BB press. You don't magically get strong at one and stay super weak at another. Sure, some people may move a higher % of their BB 1RM with DBs vs. other people, but you get the point.

There are enough examples of people using both DBs and BBs with results that debating which one is "best" for everyone is idiotic. People who have been around gyms a while don't do things like that. They know better.
    I don't know. I can push the 105lb dumbells. I can only do 225 on the barbell.

You can't drown in sweat JesuitGrind's Avatar
    JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JesuitGrind is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    db press gives more isolation

The Towson Situation ScribNeezy's Avatar
    ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScribNeezy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My roommate (and lifting partner) argue about this constantly. I swear by barbell, whereas he swears by dumbbells. We're pretty much the same size, so I think it's whatever you prefer, and whatever works best for you.
    Obsession is just a word that lazy people use for Dedication.

Bench -----> 225x5
    Deadlift -----> 345x5

My girlfriend told me I take lifting too seriously. I told her the weights were here before she was, and will definitely be here after.

"Have you never ****ing jacked off? You never rolled it back that far? Are you scared of your dick? What guy hasn't explored his dick by the age of 4?" ---.KraZed

firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000)
    HARD CHARGIN

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

++ Positive Crew ++

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Well from what I have been around and experienced; Most people who think dumbbells are better either...

However, I think barbell bench press is a much better strength/power exercise for your chest...
    But saying that you think dumbbell bench press is better than barbell is like me saying dumbbell squats are better than barbell squats. Everyone has there preference of exercises that work for them. But the majority of people who like dumbbell bench press better have a crappy barbell press. Just saying...

People who do better with dumbbells will like that better.
    Well then if you think dumbbell bench press is so much better, than what are your reasons behind it??? I would love to get your opinion on this...
    Wow better/worse, either/or much?

Well I clearly stated that I use both in a post 20 minutes ago on this thread so i really don't know what the deal is...

I didn't backpedal on anything. I stated I used both dumbbells and barbells all in my original post.
    Oh ok, that's better.

And,

BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Barbell bench has been proven to be more effective at building mass. With that said though, you should still incorporate db press to prevent muscle imbalances and to build healthy stabilizers. I've lived in two towns and gone to 4 gyms in the past two years; I always see people do barbell for flat bench and dumbbell press for incline.

Originally Posted by BigNasty100 View Post
    Barbell bench has been proven to be more effective at building mass.
    Horsesh*t

Hey Orlandocool, why do you have to take portions of what I say?? You have to cut portions of my statements to make it look like I'm contradicting myself?? Go get a life and actually post on something of relevance and try to help somebody out. I can see why you have over 4500 comments...

It's real plain and simple, I USE BOTH BARBELL AND DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS! Like I have stated a thousand times. I also have stated that I think barbell bench press is better than dumbbell. Everyone has their own opinion and I understand that. I welcome everybody's opinion and respect everyone's aspect. But you don't have to sit behind your computer screen and take 10 minutes of your life to cut out sentences that I have stated from a paragraph. You're not fooling anybody. So if you want to quote me,( already said this to thickbrick) then take the whole thing...

[QUOTE=GrapplerPower;855575753]I didn't backpedal on anything. I stated I used both dumbbells and barbells all in my original post. Just said I prefer to use Barbell but still use them both. Then continued to say that MOST (Not every single living heart beating person on the planet) individuals don't do barbell bench press due to pains they experience when they perform the lift.

Bottom line is that you got on here looking to tell someone off and try to correct someone by quoting specific sentences and certain phrases. Don't put words into my mouth, and if you want to do that, then correct something that I accuratley stated.

[/QUOTE

thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ScribNeezy View Post
    My roommate (and lifting partner) argue about this constantly. I swear by barbell, whereas he swears by dumbbells. We're pretty much the same size, so I think it's whatever you prefer, and whatever works best for you.
    thats a good point actually, thanks

Originally Posted by terman1 View Post
    And to the OP, quick word of advise, do yourself a big favor now and stop thinking in terms of dumbbells > barbell or this > that. As others have pointed out, each method has their own advantages/disadvantages and the only way to know for sure what is truely better is to try everything and anything until you find what works best for you and your goals at the time.
    okay, thank you for the advice, makes sense

Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    sounds like a noob bodybuilder asking a question about powerlifting. You are trying to build mass right? dont worry about how much weight you lift, worry about how much muscle you pack on. sounds like leaving your ego outside the gym might be the hardest part for you,but its ok, a lot of us suffer from that.
    i am fairly nooby i suppose, only been lifting like 5 months.. yeah i am, tbh im just trying to keep it simple and just find the most effective exercises to do to build mass so i know that im doing the right thing and not doing an ineffective or not as , if that makes sense

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey Orlandocool
    Hey.

why do you have to take portions of what I say??
    Because it clearly highlighted what you were getting across, that barbell is better than dumbbell. When people disagreed with your absolute, you assumed they were stated DB is better than barbell. (which they weren't) Saying you use both does nothing to defend what you stated and implied.

You have to cut portions of my statements to make it look like I'm contradicting myself??
    No, you're not contracting yourself, you simply fall back on a point that has nothing to do with what you implied. If I stated Airplanes are better than cars, it doesn't matter if I use both. The first statement is still open to controversy.

It's real plain and simple, I USE BOTH BARBELL AND DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS! Like I have stated a thousand times.
    So?

I also have stated that I think barbell bench press is better than dumbbell.
    There you go, that's the point that's under attack.

Everyone has their own opinion and I understand that. I welcome everybody's opinion and respect everyone's aspect.
    Good, then you ought to honor our opinion for thinking your point is wrong.

Go get a life and actually post on something of relevance and try to help somebody out.
    Pointing out your inaccuracies due to relative limited experience, is helping out.

But you don't have to sit behind your computer screen and take 10 minutes of your life to cut out sentences that I have stated from a paragraph. You're not fooling anybody. So if you want to quote me,( already said this to thickbrick) then take the whole thing...
    It didn't take 10 mins.

Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Brought some for everyone!

renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50) renferos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
    "The best" is a lie. Period.

You will have the greater results with that which you focus on the hardest, work with the longest, and recover from the best.
    It isn't a race. If you look for shortcuts you'll be disappointed and/or injure yourself.

Having said that, Here's a brief Pro/Con listing:

Dumbbells:
    Pro: Hand position can be closer to parallel. This reduces stress on the shoulder for some.
    Pro: Ability to do a press which is also a pseudo fly movement. More work with less weight.
    Pro: No need for a power rack or spotter.
    Con: Less overall weight can be lifted typically compared to barbell.
    Con: Somewhat greater amount of effort involved getting into position to perform the lift.

Barbell:
    Pro: Heavier weights can be lifted
    Pro: Ability to incorporate resistance bands to provide accommodating resistance (attach bands to barbell, as they stretch and you approach lockout the resistance provided is increased)
    Pro: Given the equipment necessities, it is typically easier to get into position and start performing he exercise than it is with dumbbells.
    Con: More equipment and/or spotter needed.
    Con: Restricted hand position unless specialty bars employed.

I use both because I have the space to do so. I primarily lift with barbell as I enjoy strength training. I use dumbbells as a warm-up and on lighter, higher rep days.

You can gain mass in your chest from both/either. Hell, you can do so with Push-ups, too (if you do them right).
    Con: Less overall weight can be lifted typically compared to barbell. This is actually a hidden pro. No one cares how much weight you lift its the affect of the exercise and we can all agree dumbbells use more stabilizing muscles. The only real con to dumbbells if you are dumb enough to set them down improperly and ruin your rotator cuffs. Personally I use both in my routine, but i feel a better mind to muscle connection and get a way better pump from dumbbells.

The bottom line is that I do respect everyone's opinion. But you haven't even given yours or your reasons behind it. And just from seeing how you act on here I wouldn't respect it in the first place. You just sit behind a computer all day and quote other people because you don't even know what to say yourself.

The problem with this site is that there are too many people like you that think they know everything to do with weight lifting. And by the way by saying that I use both... I'm trying to get the point across that I think dumbbells work good too. Obviously, I like barbell better, but i don't think dumbbell's are terrible either. Maybe people on here should spend a little bit more time in the weight room and a little less time running their mouths...

I'm done with this so don't bother posting or quoting things and saying smart a*s comments to relevant thread information. Nice age by the way...

Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post

No, you're not contradicting yourself!

Thanks!!

The bottom line is that I do respect everyone's opinion. But you haven't even given yours or your reasons behind it. And just from seeing how you act on here I wouldn't respect it in the first place. You just sit behind a computer all day and quote other people because you don't even know what to say yourself.

The problem with this site is that there are too many people like you that think they know everything to do with weight lifting. And by the way by saying that I use both... I'm trying to get the point across that I think dumbbells work good too. Obviously, I like barbell better, but i don't think dumbbell's are terrible either. Maybe people on here should spend a little bit more time in the weight room and a little less time running their mouths...

I'm done with this so don't bother posting or quoting things and saying smart a*s comments to relevant thread information. Nice age by the way...

BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigNasty100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Horsesh*t
    Studies have shown barbell bench press to stimulate the production of more growth hormone because it recruits more muscle groups (it's considered more of a compound lift than db press). You seem pretty reputable THickAsABrick, so I believe you might have reason to disagree with this statement; however, I will do my best to find the articles/studies to back up what I'm saying.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by renferos View Post
    we can all agree dumbbells use more stabilizing muscles. The only real con to dumbbells if you are dumb enough to set them down improperly and ruin your rotator cuffs.
    Actually I'm going to throw things for a loop here:

Barbell pressing can use more stabilizing muscles than dumbbell pressing.

How?

Lift more weight.

Heavier weights are harder to stabilize than lighter weights. People can usually lift heavier weights with a barbell.

firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000) firefox16 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Lendogg View Post
    thank you
    HARD CHARGIN

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

++ Positive Crew ++

stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000) stirb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Lendogg View Post
    Thanks!