ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Feeling sick during workout

For couple of months now I've been feeling like I'm about to throw up during the workout. It's been getting gradually worse over time. At first it was something I would encounter occasionally in the last few reps of a hard set but now it lasts through the whole workout and starts when I'm warming up. I'm still making gains in both rep weights and bodyweight but the constant bad feeling is starting to degrade my motivation and concentration in the gym. I've also had to interrupt few workouts after squatting because of this.

I've noticed a slight increase in my resting heart rate but I haven't actually measured it. This made me lean towards the symptoms of overtraining but the fact that I'm still making decent gains tells me otherwise. To counter overtraining I've always done a lighter deloading week every 5-6 weeks of intense work-out but this time I didn't really see any positive effects after doing one. The program I used when I noticed that my heart rate had increased a bit and started to experience the feeling of throwing up was MadCow 5x5 which I recently changed to GVT (I've done the routine before and the intensity shouldn't be too much for me).

I've been suspecting that this might have something to do with my nutrition. I've been following my macros for over a year and my target has been to gain 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, 1.5-2x the amount of protein as carbohydrates and the rest as fat - I'm currently running a total of 4000 daily calorie intake. On top of regular food I'm also consuming cod-liver oil (5-10ml a day), apple cider vinegar (2 sets of 5-10ml a day) and vitamin D (1000iu because in the wintertime I can't get it from the sun in my country). Currently I'm also taking creatine but it has never given me any side effects at all. Pre-workout I've usually eaten a warm meal (potatoes, pasta, meat etc.) and in the gym right before starting to warm up a banana or orange to kickstart my workout with the fast carbohydrates. I even tried to bring some raisins to the gym and eat them beetween sets but I didn't feel any better.

Here's some stats to give you some perception of my current shape:
    5'9 180lb (up from 170lb this year)
    5RM ATG Squat: 280lb (up from 255lb in last 2 months)
    5RM Deadlift: 270lb (up from 250lb in last 2 months)
    5RM Flat Bench Press: 190lb (been stagnant for a while)
    5RM Bent-Over Row: 190lb (up from 165lb in last 2 months)

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ForsVe; 03-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.

MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MladenJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    are you drinking a lot of water during your workout?

ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForsVe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I bring a liter bottle of water with me to the gym which I usually drink by the end of my workout. I don't think that the cause is dehydration. I could also add that my workouts used to last around 45-60 minutes but ever since I started to feel sick in the gym I started to slowly take more time to recover beetween the sets which has resulted in workout lasting now about 10-15 minutes longer than before.

agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ForsVe View Post
    For couple of months now I've been feeling like I'm about to throw up during the workout. It's been getting gradually worse over time. At first it was something I would encounter occasionally in the last few reps of a hard set but now it lasts through the whole workout and starts when I'm warming up. I'm still making gains in both rep weights and bodyweight but the constant bad feeling is starting to degrade my motivation and concentration in the gym. I've also had to interrupt few workouts after squatting because of this.

I've noticed a slight increase in my resting heart rate but I haven't actually measured it. This made me lean towards the symptoms of overtraining but the fact that I'm still making decent gains tells me otherwise. To counter overtraining I've always done a lighter deloading week every 5-6 weeks of intense work-out but this time I didn't really see any positive effects after doing one. The program I used when I noticed that my heart rate had increased a bit and started to experience the feeling of throwing up was MadCow 5x5 which I recently changed to GVT (I've done the routine before and the intensity shouldn't be too much for me).

I've been suspecting that this might have something to do with my nutrition. I've been following my macros for over a year and my target has been to gain 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, 1.5-2x the amount of protein as carbohydrates and the rest as fat - I'm currently running a total of 4000 daily calorie intake. On top of regular food I'm also consuming cod-liver oil (5-10ml a day), apple cider vinegar (2 sets of 5-10ml a day) and vitamin D (1000iu because in the wintertime I can't get it from the sun in my country). Currently I'm also taking creatine but it has never given me any side effects at all. Pre-workout I've usually eaten a warm meal (potatoes, pasta, meat etc.) and in the gym right before starting to warm up a banana or orange to kickstart my workout with the fast carbohydrates. I even tried to bring some raisins to the gym and eat them beetween sets but I didn't feel any better.

Here's some stats to give you some perception of my current shape:
    5'9 180lb (up from 170lb this year)
    5RM ATG Squat: 280lb (up from 255lb in last 2 months)
    5RM Deadlift: 270lb (up from 250lb in last 2 months)
    5RM Flat Bench Press: 190lb (been stagnant for a while)
    5RM Bent-Over Row: 190lb (up from 165lb in last 2 months)

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
    Could be doing too much volume, I read an article that stated high rep intense exercise can make you feel like you have to vomit like tons of volume or 20 rep squats. Additionally you could be eating too close to your workout.

Originally Posted by agrier9 View Post
    Could be doing too much volume, I read an article that stated high rep intense exercise can make you feel like you have to vomit like tons of volume or 20 rep squats. Additionally you could be eating too close to your workout.
    I doubt that the volume is too high with the feeling occuring even when doing 5x5. Although the part about eating too close to workout makes sense. Recently I've ran to the gym right after eating. I'll try and wait for an hour or 2 before going to the gym tomorrow and see what happens. I'll report back in after trying it out.

edit: I felt great during my workout today so it seems like that was the case. Thanks for helping out, measly reps for both of you.
    Last edited by ForsVe; 03-27-2012 at 06:55 AM.

agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000) agrier9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ForsVe View Post
    I doubt that the volume is too high with the feeling occuring even when doing 5x5. Although the part about eating too close to workout makes sense. Recently I've ran to the gym right after eating. I'll try and wait for an hour or 2 before going to the gym tomorrow and see what happens. I'll report back in after trying it out.
    Lol yep nail on the head, I've done the same thing and was in the same boat as you before. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I felt like I had to throw up after every set, give it at least an hour before you work out.