Kris331 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are push ups effective for building a big chest?

Pretty much title asks the question. but i wont be getting a bench/gym membership anytime soon but im currently just doing dumb bell flies and push ups for my chest and was wondering if they are any effective? thanks

I will smack your hand. HighFivan's Avatar
    HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you should take a look at some great calisthenic groups such as Barstarzz or Barholics.

Guys who (for the most part) don't train in a gym, great chests.

So can you build a nice chest doing pushups? I believe so.

BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BroSciencePump has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I know you can absolutely get a great chest without weights. Before I hit the weights hard, I would do a variation of push-ups, and lots of them and I had a big ripped chest. Try doing elevated push-ups, knuckle, palm and transition into different variations.

I also would do a workout where I would do as many push ups as I can in a minute. Then do another set of as many as I can do in 40 seconds, then 30, then 20. You're chest will be burned and pumped!

T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kris331 View Post
    Pretty much title asks the question. but i wont be getting a bench/gym membership anytime soon but im currently just doing dumb bell flies and push ups for my chest and was wondering if they are any effective? thanks
    Do you have access to a iPhone? If so, check out an app called "PushUp fu". It's a brutal trainer once you get up to your maximum. It added size to my chest for sure.

DGetsCut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BroSciencePump View Post
    I know you can absolutely get a great chest without weights. Before I hit the weights hard, I would do a variation of push-ups, and lots of them and I had a big ripped chest. Try doing elevated push-ups, knuckle, palm and transition into different variations.

I also would do a workout where I would do as many push ups as I can in a minute. Then do another set of as many as I can do in 40 seconds, then 30, then 20. You're chest will be burned and pumped!
    Yes, varying kinds of push ups will give you a solid chest. Go for maxing out as many as you can possibly do in 1 day, then recover!, and do 50% of that number 5 days a week.

Alright cool thanks guys

Originally Posted by T1969 View Post
    Do you have access to a iPhone? If so, check out an app called "PushUp fu". It's a brutal trainer once you get up to your maximum. It added size to my chest for sure.
    yea i actually do im going to check this app out for sure thanks

richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000) richsac is a complete loser! (-2000)
    my chests are bigger than most guys at the gym who flat bench every week. I've been doing back pack weighted push ups for one summer and my chest are watermelon size

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by T1969 View Post
    check out an app called "PushUp fu". It's a brutal trainer once you get up to your maximum. It added size to my chest for sure.
    I don't have an iPhone but I found their site, can we use it online? http://www.gymfu.com

T9P1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about adding elevated pushups into my routine. Since I do BB bench press my lower chest got bigger, but the upper chest area is really one of my weakest bodyparts (my chest is already the weak link and the upper part is even worse). Right now I'm doing an alternating full body routine with BB flat bench press on one day and weighted Dips the other. I thought abou adding incline flys after the bench press and some elevated pushups after the dips (cant do incline BB/DB press, hurts my shoulder... suprisingly pushups dont).

What rep-set-constellation would you recommend for these 2 finisher excersises?

T9P1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Push

xtmfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    push ups will give u a good chest , but there are different forms diamond as some ppl call it is the most difficult (hands stuck close to each other) , normal -->aligning your arms with your shoulder's width and wide --> going wider than you shoulder's width .You should be aware to always have a straight back and go down as deep as possible with time you will go deeper , try to focus on a fixed point with your eyes ( dont move your neck) ... and if you dont feel the 3 last reps then your not gonna gain chest muscles , you probably need to go for more reps , i hope it was useful ,good luck

Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bejizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Calisthenics are great and there are many ways to push yourself. Outside of the push-up, assuming you have access to a hardwood floor, I'd try body/towel flys as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=__uhZdYVRuc

^My favorite exercise at the moment.

tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000) tats27 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Push Ups are great to build your chest if you're a beginner; however, they have a very low ceiling when compared to hitting your chest with weighted resistance.

At the end of the year if your push up max has gone from five to a hundred, it will have very little impact on your ability to bench press 225lbs. The muscle will grow from just doing pushups, but it will also stop gorwing far sooner than if you eventually transition to weights.

FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10) FattyFatso is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tats27 View Post
    At the end of the year if your push up max has gone from five to a hundred, it will have very little impact on your ability to bench press 225lbs.
    What if you weigh 300lbs?

RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RichieS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you're 300 lbs and master push ups you'll most likely be able to handle 225. I started out only doing push ups as a chest/arm exercise and at 158 was able to lift 275 when I tried to start up lifting. after a while you could transition to weighted push ups, one armed push-ups and even weighted one armed push-ups (my favorite)

cipsaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have quit using the bench press and went push ups all the way and never looked back. My chest is even better, pumps the triceps and the forearms. It's also good for your core. I usually hit 100 in a minute and 30sec and move to the next exercise.