Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Stats: 5'9", 200 lbs
    cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cthulhupun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit cthulhupun's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by CertifiedMuscle View Post
    The ISSA is accredited by actual educational organizations such as the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the Distance Education and Training Council, both of which are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
    While CHEA has a shaky past and is no longer a DoE recognized accreditor, these are actually accreditation granting organizations. That said, the bar for DETC accreditation isn't all that high. All it really means is that it actually grants the certifications it says it grants (it isn't a scam, and it doesn't just give people a certificate for "life experience" without requiring some sort of test).
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-
    My horror novel, Wolf Hunter (written under my pen name, J.L. Benet), is now available from Belfire Press. For those who like your werewolves served with a side of bloody gore (as opposed to sparkle-fairies and ennui), this is the novel for you.
    http://jlbenet.com/

Starting the Slow Cut CertifiedMuscle's Avatar
    Stats: 5'10", 179 lbs
    CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CertifiedMuscle has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit CertifiedMuscle's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    While CHEA has a shaky past and is no longer a DoE recognized accreditor, these are actually accreditation granting organizations. That said, the bar for DETC accreditation isn't all that high. All it really means is that it actually grants the certifications it says it grants (it isn't a scam, and it doesn't just give people a certificate for "life experience" without requiring some sort of test).
    Thanks for sharing.
    Alba Gu Brath

ISSA CFT

Civil Engineering '13

May The Force be with you, always.

Stats: 5'6", 147 lbs
    soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soren_xavier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit soren_xavier's BodySpace
    Well, it's 9 months later (and I kind of put my CPT aspirations aside for a little while), but I finally made a decision here and figured I'd update my thread.

I decided to go with the NSCA and ordered the study kit a few days ago. WOO!

Can anyone give me any ideas on how long I should expect to have to study before taking the test?
    "I must find the truth which is true for me; the truth for which I can live and die." -- Soren Kierkegaard

Stats: 149 lbs
    a1rj0rdanz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit a1rj0rdanz's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by CertifiedMuscle View Post
    Wow....do you have an ISSA cert? How do you even know?
    I researched all of the main certifications very thoroughly and found ISSA to be the best all-around package.
    so does ISSA salary better than other cert

Stats: 5'7", 167 lbs
    Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Paulie_G's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by a1rj0rdanz View Post
    so does ISSA salary better than other cert
    What?

ACSM, NSCA and NASM are probably the "top tier" certs, followed by ACE, ISSA, and a few other second tier, but still reputable organizations. All of these first and second tier organizations are leaps and bounds above YMCA certs, and all of those "get your certification in a weekend" type deals.

With the top 3, you will have more job opportunities. However, when I was ACE certified some years ago, I was hired for every PT job that I applied for in NY and Virginia. So, I'm not sure how much being in the top tier group really matters.

I never notice a difference in salary between certifications. It's just a matter of more opportunities, from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 05-23-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Stats: 6'2", 203 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3513
    oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit oregonpanthers's BodySpace

Thumbs up Exam Prep Time

Originally Posted by soren_xavier View Post
    Well, it's 9 months later (and I kind of put my CPT aspirations aside for a little while), but I finally made a decision here and figured I'd update my thread.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how long I should expect to have to study before taking the test?
    As a CPT myself I took the exam after 1 semester of college course work in AP and Kinesiology. I had also done some self study on nutrition and exercise program design. Having been a college athlete helped some to. I read the whole CPT book and watched the exercise technique video and took a practice exam before the real deal. Took me about 18 weeks of time to do all this. I passed with a 87%.

I would take at least that long and review at least that much material to pass this exam.

Doing so is perhaps one of the best choices you can make to giving yourself the knowledge and competnency to becoming a establishing yourself as a credible trainer worldwide. Good choice with taking the NSCA as your personal trainer pathway.
    My Lifestyle, Training & Diet Blog
    http://fitbossfoodandfitness.blogspot.com

Team Scooby (Jason Theobald)
    www.scoobyprep.com

I need your votes bad!!
    mhguysearch.com/entry/52/

Stats: 6'2", 203 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3513
    oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) oregonpanthers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit oregonpanthers's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    What?

ACSM, NSCA and NASM are probably the "top tier" certs, followed by ACE, ISSA, and a few other second tier, but still reputable organizations. All of these first and second tier organizations are leaps and bounds above YMCA certs, and all of those "get your certification in a weekend" type deals.

With the top 3, you will have more job opportunities. However, when I was ACE certified some years ago, I was hired for every PT job that I applied for in NY and Virginia. So, I'm not sure how much being in the top tier group really matters.

I never notice a difference in salary between certifications. It's just a matter of more opportunities, from what I've seen.
    I agree 100% the top 3 stated above are your best bets for getting hired and showing solid credibility and hireability. What you make in terms of salary wont matter based on certs alone. Thats more on you and the business side of how, who, where you run your PT services through. I have taught the ACE PT course at my last job, taken the NSCA CPT exam myself and both are of similar content and difficulty. Either would do well to demonstrate comprehensive PT KSA in my opinion. I just happen to be a bit biased to the NSCA since I started with them and have never turned away since becoming a certified professinal member back in winter 2007.
    My Lifestyle, Training & Diet Blog
    http://fitbossfoodandfitness.blogspot.com

Team Scooby (Jason Theobald)
    www.scoobyprep.com

I need your votes bad!!
    mhguysearch.com/entry/52/

Stats: 5'2", 111 lbs
    dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dreahere has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit dreahere's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by soren_xavier View Post

Depends somewhat on what your background is. I just passed the NSCA-CPT after about 6 weeks total of studying--a month of reading and studying the manual and then a couple weeks of intense reviewing and taking practice tests right before taking the exam--but I'm also an LMT, so I already knew all the anatomy and physiology and was just brushing up on it, rather than learning it for the first time.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

Stats: 5'7", 167 lbs
    Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Paulie_G has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Paulie_G's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by dreahere View Post
    Depends somewhat on what your background is. I just passed the NSCA-CPT after about 6 weeks total of studying--a month of reading and studying the manual and then a couple weeks of intense reviewing and taking practice tests right before taking the exam--but I'm also an LMT, so I already knew all the anatomy and physiology and was just brushing up on it, rather than learning it for the first time.
    6 weeks? That's pretty good. I'm in the midst of studying for both ISSA and ACSM. I'm going to take the ISSA in July, then the ACSM in September. This is after letting my ACE cert lapse in 2008, after a few years of burn out of the fitness field. Ready to go back to it now, after getting my Master's out of the way.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JoeCannonMSCSCS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit JoeCannonMSCSCS's BodySpace
    If you think at some point you may want to train clients - and that entails getting a job in a gym, then Id say either get NSCA or ACE. Both are very well respected organizations. If I had to pick, Id say NSCA edges them out in some aspects but but both organizations have strong points. you cant go wrong with either of them.
    Joe Cannon MS CSCS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    Supplement-Geek.com

Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Ronin4help's BodySpace
    The other two should not be on the same list as NSCA. Any one who can read can obtain the other two.
    Bodybuilding is an individual sport, so don't thrive to look like somebody else.

Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ronin4help has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Ronin4help's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    Recognized as what? The Department of Education doesn't accredit anything. They just certify the regional accreditation organizations. It's the regional accreditation organizations that do the accreditation.
    I did some looking and found these meaningless sentences.
    "Listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized agency"
    "...association that has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for over 50 years."
    Anyone who knows how accreditation works in the USA knows that these statements mean absolutely nothing in regards to their accreditation. In fact, by including them on their website, it makes them look even less reputable.
    Very true. I totally agree. They think you are stupid and so they stretch the truth beyond recognition.
    Bodybuilding is an individual sport, so don't thrive to look like somebody else.

Stats: 6'0", 170 lbs
    JONFERNANDEZ91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JONFERNANDEZ91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JONFERNANDEZ91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JONFERNANDEZ91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JONFERNANDEZ91 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Visit JONFERNANDEZ91's BodySpace

Ace

Sort of related... I recently, perhaps ignorantly, did little research prior to ordering my ACE study packet for PT and membership a couple days ago. My question is... did I make a dire mistake, or is this a solid certification?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2