Closed Thread
Page 36 of 301 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 9007
    irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TLYNCH777 View Post
    I would hold on to those yorks instead of getting the new cemcos
    I've been trying to find ways to attract a little broader range of clients (more women). You don't think the old Yorks would be too intimidating compared to Ivanko Revolvers?

irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would look at finding a sandblaster in your area. Refinishing is all about the prep work, and having them sandblasted would be the best for cleaning everything away, it'll take all the paint out of those nooks and crannys, and you will end up with a much nicer finish in the end. Find a good shop, and they will have that done in way less than an hour, and you will probably pay less than $100.00 to do it. I've tried sanding, buffing, grinding, etc to refinish equipment, and in the end I just get stuff professional blasted, it saves time and money in the long run. You might even think about having the plates powder coated satin black if you can find a good shop to do it. Powder coating will take a lot more abuse than rustoleum will.

I was thinking if I do pick up a bunch of used Ivanko revolvers, I was going to take them to my powder coater, have them blasted and coated black. What would you think of that compared to my York plates?

Originally Posted by TLYNCH777 View Post
    I worked out a nice trade and got a few hundred pounds of the USA marked milled yorks. This is the first time I have this style of milled 25's an 35's .I am not looking forward to getting all this paint off but looking forward to the finish product. I am undecided weather I am going to spray them with satin of flat. The satin makes the milling stand out more. I may even speay a pair just in clear coat. A friend of mine cleaned a set up and did that and they came out great. These absolutely need to be redone because the previous owner killed them with a shiny black paint.

Has anyone ever soaked the plates with some type of paint remover ? I been using a small disk called a sandblaster to get of the paint but it takes a very long time and it will not get all the paint off in between the letters.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irongym View Post
    I would look at finding a sandblaster in your area. Refinishing is all about the prep work, and having them sandblasted would be the best for cleaning everything away, it'll take all the paint out of those nooks and crannys, and you will end up with a much nicer finish in the end. Find a good shop, and they will have that done in way less than an hour, and you will probably pay less than $100.00 to do it. I've tried sanding, buffing, grinding, etc to refinish equipment, and in the end I just get stuff professional blasted, it saves time and money in the long run. You might even think about having the plates powder coated satin black if you can find a good shop to do it. Powder coating will take a lot more abuse than rustoleum will.

I was thinking if I do pick up a bunch of used Ivanko revolvers, I was going to take them to my powder coater, have them blasted and coated black. What would you think of that compared to my York plates?

This good advice, and since we're just talking about iron plates, they can be blasted with a "normal" media like sand for dirt cheap.

Here's a tip to save you some money if you decide to go this route - check for a headstone/grave marker dealer in your area. They generally do sand blasting, and will often do it for dirt cheap. The place I used charged $35/hr, with a 1 hour minimum. I'd just drop my parts off, go get lunch, and they'd have my stuff done by the time I got back. I wouldn't use them if I needed to maintain a perfect finish for a show-quality paintjob, but for something like iron plates, they'd be perfect.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think that these have been listed for a couple months. Can probably get everything for a little cheaper than .50/lb.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am not a York man but I did get a chance to visit the store and museum this week. Both, the store and museum, are located in a nice building adjacent to the York factory. The self guided museum tour was free and takes about an hour to go through. A fair amount of information is displayed but I wish there would have been more items on display. The museum has a section on York founder Bob Hoffman followed by sections on old time strongmen, powerlifting, bodybuilding, and olympic lifters through time.
    Attached Images

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That place is awesome. The Mecca of iron. Muscletown, USA!
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I need to make a trip there, not sure I would be able to leave. This may be a little sacrilegious to do in a York Barbell forum, but, I am looking to get a 300lb set of Ivanko Revolvers. I am noticing they are pretty difficult to locate, anyone have any plates they are willing to part with or have any ideas on where to find some?

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Slumpbusters View Post
    any ideas on where to find some?

In the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow..
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    This good advice, and since we're just talking about iron plates, they can be blasted with a "normal" media like sand for dirt cheap.

Here's a tip to save you some money if you decide to go this route - check for a headstone/grave marker dealer in your area. They generally do sand blasting, and will often do it for dirt cheap. The place I used charged $35/hr, with a 1 hour minimum. I'd just drop my parts off, go get lunch, and they'd have my stuff done by the time I got back. I wouldn't use them if I needed to maintain a perfect finish for a show-quality paintjob, but for something like iron plates, they'd be perfect.
    Thats very great advice, I didnt know that thank you. Never thought that as an option.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I have sandblasted weights in the past and it cost a fortune here in New York $175-200 per hour . I will deffinetly look into the gravestone maker. I have several pieces in the future that I plan to get sandblasted then powder coated before I got into your York I got 1200lbs of ivankos sandblasted then powder coated wrinkle black they came out mint. When I got the bill I nearly **** my pants. It would of been about the same price to buy them new. I still have them but allways prefer my milled yorks
    Faith is Like a Muscle... It Must be Trained to Grow Strong. Repeated Experiences of Having to Trust what we Can Not See & Repeated Experience of Learning to Trust in GOD that Things Will Work Out, are what Makes Our Faith Muscles Grow Strong

"Bodybuilding is not just about Physical Training with weights to change how you look. Its also about Mind, Spirit & Body, together in union so that everything grows, not just your muscles."
    -Serge Nubret

\YORK/ \BARBELL CLUB/ #23

SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Finished re-painting these today. They're part of my 1940s Olympic set restoration that is nearing completion.

()---() York Barbell Club #22 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #36 []---[]

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Beautiful.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quick question for the York experts here...

Were there any other manufacturers of split-sleeve oly bars back in the day? I found a guy on CL selling some York plates, a split-sleeve bar, some misc. dumbbells, a bench, and a couple 1" bars for pretty cheap, so I snagged the bar for a song...but it has me puzzled.

It's a obviously a split-sleeve bar, but I'm not sure it's a York. It doesn't have any markings on it at all, not even between the sleeve and inner shoulder. The very end of the bar is threaded and the outer ring and inner shoulder are held in place with set screws instead of roll pins.

Here is the listing: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/hab/3356605624.html

Here is the bar:

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

York on the left, unknown bar on the right.

Could be York, 70's or earlier.

SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinLock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Everything about it looks like a York bar to me. They didn't start stamping them York till later. Also the early bars didn't use the roll pin, they used the hex bolt like yours has. Take some steel wool and clean the rust off it and clean and re-oil the brass bushings and it will be like brand new. Nice pick up.

Originally Posted by SpinLock View Post
    Everything about it looks like a York bar to me. They didn't start stamping them York till later. Also the early bars didn't use the roll pin, they used the hex bolt like yours has. Take some steel wool and clean the rust off it and clean and re-oil the brass bushings and it will be like brand new. Nice pick up.
    Very cool. I hit the whole thing with a wire brush in my drill, cleaned all of the old oil/grease out of it, and reassembled it with a bit of 3-in-1 on the bushings. I was hoping it was a York, especially since the plates he had listed with it are Yorks, but the differences between it and my other one had me baffled.

Even if it isn't York, it's worth what I paid for it - $30.

Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slumpbusters will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One of my bars is an older York bar. The older bars aren't marked and they have set screws. The flanges on mine are much thicker than the "newer" bars.
    Attached Images

York starting marking their bars "York" in the late 1970's. You'll see the occasional transitional bar with set screws and the "York" markings. Great find!

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very cool. I hit the whole thing with a wire brush in my drill, cleaned all of the old oil/grease out of it, and reassembled it with a bit of 3-in-1 on the bushings. I was hoping it was a York, especially since the plates he had listed with it are Yorks, but the differences between it and my other one had me baffled.

Even if it isn't York, it's worth what I paid for it - $30.

I have a bar that looks very similar to yours that I picked up with a full set of ExCel plates so I assumed mine was an ExCel bar. It has the split collars that are very close in size, slightly different from the York style. I will take a pic ad post it when I get a chance.

These are early 35s with lathe turned backs:

Very crisp plate! Sharp edges.

southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50) southpawbk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone in PHX??? CL listing has some York plates in the background... The bar unfortunately does not look like a York.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/spo/3333034921.html
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #25 []---[]

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are those newer York plates or something? I'm never seen any like them before.
    They almost look like "Fitness Gear" plates.
    Can't quite tell but I doubt those are York barbells.

Originally Posted by southpawbk View Post
    Anyone in PHX??? CL listing has some York plates in the background... The bar unfortunately does not look like a York.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/spo/3333034921.html
    That poor bench looks like it's going to collapse. What a crappy design.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Those plates in Utica are probably not US made. . .

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If anybody is looking for some good bars near Austin, TX - http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/3365285179.html
    The seller is willing to sell the bars seperate and has 2... the knurling on both of them look very good... One of them is split sleeve... not sure if it is York (last pic in the ad). can be bought cheap, but will need quite a bit of restoration.

pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hulked View Post
    If anybody is looking for some good bars near Austin, TX - http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/3365285179.html
    The seller is willing to sell the bars seperate and has 2... the knurling on both of them look very good... One of them is split sleeve... not sure if it is York (last pic in the ad). can be bought cheap, but will need quite a bit of restoration.
    The bar may be worthwhile, but I think that guy is pretty close to being in the CL dreamer's thread.
    If God had wanted us to be weak, He wouldn't have given us iron.

[]---[] Equipment Crew #28 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #28 ()---()

Closed Thread
Page 36 of 301 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast