TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

In what ways does a lunge differ from a split squat

Question's all in the title..

I will smack your hand. HighFivan's Avatar
    HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000) HighFivan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    try not to be too impressed with my google skills ;p

"In a lunge and split squat, one leg is forward and in front of you, the other leg is behind you. In a lunge, the rear leg is engaged in the exercise. In a split squat, the rear leg is at rest throughout the exercise -- it is not engaged. This is the key difference between the two exercises. A split squat focuses on the exercise entirely on one leg. The lunge uses both legs at the same time."

(livestrong site)

From experience I feel walking lunges gets a better work of the glute-ham tie in

another difference is I feel more comfortable adding heavier weight to a split squat (if thats your thing)

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    That explanation from LiveStrong sucks.

Simple answer: in a split-squat, the feet both stay planted. In a lunge, one of the feet moves.

Lunges are higher impact than split squats due to the stepping.

Both legs are involved in both movements. LiveStrong is full of lots of BS statements in their articles, and this is one of them. Anybody who has done a split squat knows that the rear leg is engaged in stabilization and bearing part of the load.

God I hate that site sometimes.