CarlosinFL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Swap Out Skim Milk For Almond Milk?

I drink two gallons of skim milk per week. I'm not big by BB standards at all but I'm trying and I was talking with a coworked and he said I should put almond milk in my protein shakes rather than skim. He said it was way better but I told him to look at the nutrition and verify that statement as almond milk seems to have some sat. fat among a few other things. I know good fats are essential but is almond milk worth the swap from skim milk?

MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
    I drink two gallons of skim milk per week. I'm not big by BB standards at all but I'm trying and I was talking with a coworked and he said I should put almond milk in my protein shakes rather than skim. He said it was way better but I told him to look at the nutrition and verify that statement as almond milk seems to have some sat. fat among a few other things. I know good fats are essential but is almond milk worth the swap from skim milk?
    Almond milk can be healthy if you get the kind with no sugar added. Beware some brands are LOADED with sugar. The devil is in the details. The problem with cow's milk is the lactose sugar. Personally I add soymilk (no sugar added) to my protein shakes. It has about 4g fat per serving but it's mostly unsaturated fat. The Poly and Mono unsaturated fats are very healthy. Soy milk also gets you 6g protein per serving. Almond milk has little protein.
    Last edited by MNTiburon; 03-22-2012 at 01:08 PM.

anonymous
    skim milk has more protein, almond milk has more fat and less calories

really depends on what you need

Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Crazymix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MNTiburon View Post
    Almond milk can be healthy if you get the kind with no sugar added. Beware some brands are LOADED with sugar. The devil is in the details. The problem with cow's milk is the lactose sugar. Personally I add soymilk (no sugar added) to my protein shakes. It has about 4g fat per serving but it's mostly unsaturated fat. The Poly and Mono unsaturated fats are very healthy.
    I drink 1% low fat milk, look at me.

NO EGO.Everyone is different.
    ***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

"It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help."

MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Crazymix View Post
    I drink 1% low fat milk, look at me.

NO EGO.Everyone is different.
    I drink 1% cow's milk too. About a glass a day for the casein. You might want to change your stats. If you weighed 50 lbs the wind would blow you away!

WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100) WardNow is not very well liked. (-100)
    Please show me the Sat.Fats in almond milk...... do some research almond milk also contain "Almonds" which are a great muscle building-rebuilding food so why would the milk be any different in unsweetened almond milk guys.... come on

motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motiva8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WardNow View Post
    do some research almond milk also contain "Almonds" which are a great muscle building-rebuilding food s
    Typically almond milk is largely water with only 5% or so of it being actual almonds. The rest is water, sugars, fortification of minerals & some other stuff. If almonds are cheap around your area it is dirt easy to make, literally just water & a blender OP, fresher taste & you can change the taste by adding more or less.

Unless you got ethical or dietary problems with consuming dairy, I'd doubt the swap would be really worth it. Although it is lower in calories & seems to be used for people on cuts for this reason.

kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyle450rider will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yieldtonothing View Post
    skim milk has more protein, almond milk has more fat and less calories

really depends on what you need

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Plus, the calorie difference from skim to almond milk is only about 40cals. Might as well keep the skim and get them proteinz.

fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think it's personal preference/cost. I have always hated milk, mostly because I'm lactose intolerant so always use Almond Milk. However, yes, beware that many are full of sugar. I buy the Diamond brand unsweetened which comes in original, vanilla and chocolate flavors.

Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000) Pralidoxime is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unsweetened tastes delicious by itself. Tastes horrible in coffee

fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Pralidoxime View Post
    Unsweetened tastes delicious by itself. Tastes horrible in coffee
    I mostly mix it in cereal, never tried it anything else. The vanilla is pretty good for some macros.