Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jen144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Building muscles at home--Possible? Help please.

Hi

I'm wanting to build muscle and I've read all the stickies, so I know the basics, theoretically!
    However, my problem is this: To build muscle I need to lift heavy, right? I'm 16, and I'm studying a college course distance ed, but I don't have the money or time (live rural) to go regularly to a gym. I'd love to though...
    What can I do to really build muscle, using only what one would normally have at home?
    I know there are exercises using just your bodyweight, and when that gets easy, make it harder by using, say, one arm (ie, push-ups) or adding weight (ie, books or a friend!)

Doing things like push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, etc and not those exercises that need a heap of equipment, will I still build muscle?

I'm very new at this (as you can tell) and so would love some advice, ideas, any workout plans I can do and stick to, to build some strength and muscle tone?

Thank you!

jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaxfitguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jen144 View Post
    Hi

I'm wanting to build muscle and I've read all the stickies, so I know the basics, theoretically!
    However, my problem is this: To build muscle I need to lift heavy, right? I'm 16, and I'm studying a college course distance ed, but I don't have the money or time (live rural) to go regularly to a gym. I'd love to though...
    What can I do to really build muscle, using only what one would normally have at home?
    I know there are exercises using just your bodyweight, and when that gets easy, make it harder by using, say, one arm (ie, push-ups) or adding weight (ie, books or a friend!)

Doing things like push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, etc and not those exercises that need a heap of equipment, will I still build muscle?

I'm very new at this (as you can tell) and so would love some advice, ideas, any workout plans I can do and stick to, to build some strength and muscle tone?

Thank you!
    you can start with that and get results. However, you really need heavier weights to continue to build muscle.

LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunicaAshes is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do my lifting at home - Allpro's full body routine using an adjustable dumbbell set. I don't remember how much they cost, but it wasn't too bad I don't think. They are very versatile, as they can take you from warming up, just starting out, to heavier and more advanced. Plus they hardly take up any space.

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sure you can, I've done it, though in order to continue to progress much more from here and going to have to seek out a gym (or more, heavier equipment). You do need weights, you won't get too far with bodyweight-only exercise, but they do have their place (I love pushups!). You can get workout equipment for craigslist pretty cheap, or so I've been told. I've gotten most of mine from either Target or Walmart. You could get an adjustable set of dumbbells, or several sets in varying weights. A loaded barbel set comes in handy, but you have to get creative with that if you don't have a squat rack/bench. Also a pull-up bar that goes in the doorway and a stability ball come in handy.

Good luck!
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

Registered User DomesticGoddess's Avatar
    DomesticGoddess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by heidismommy View Post
    A loaded barbel set comes in handy, but you have to get creative with that if you don't have a squat rack/bench.
    Could you elaborate? I'm at the same point as OP deciding what equipment I should get so I can continue to progress with my home workouts.

JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe start there but youll have to get some weight to move past a certain point. Also be creative. Maybe the owner of the gym would be interested trading some work a day a week or something for a membership.
    http://www.fox59.com/news/crime/wxin-elwood-robbers-elwood-father-fights-off-three-robbers-to-protect-his-town-20111230,0,900731.column

http://fox59.com/2013/05/28/local-hero-turns-chance-encounter-into-job-as-police-officer/#axzz2WE4TeAgn

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess View Post
    Could you elaborate? I'm at the same point as OP deciding what equipment I should get so I can continue to progress with my home workouts.
    Sure. I use my couch as a squat rack, for example. In order to get the weight on my shoulders, I have to load from the couch, I squat down in front of it, and get the weight on that way. Or you could do other squat variations like front squats.
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marimacho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Also, check out bodyrock.tv for exercises you can do at home. Both Lisa and Sean (the presenters) are in phenomenal shape. Doing one arm push ups would be pretty impressive.

Registered User DomesticGoddess's Avatar
    DomesticGoddess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HeidisMommy -- Thanks ... that was kind of what I was thinking ... trying to think long term here and what will work best. Thanks again!