antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antevans007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

5'9 170 looking to start Madcow 5x5 intermediate

Thanks for checking this out. As the title says im 5'9 170lbs 20 years old and looking to start using the madcow 5x5 intermediate. ive been working out for about 3 years but only this past year have i taken it really seriously. Ive made some ridiculous gains but im pretty sure ive exhausted my newbie gains. Ive read everything about the intermediate plan and i feel its time for me to start it but i am big in isolation exercises. My question is could i throw in some machine flies and dumbbell press on monday, on tuesday do some back/bi, wednesday add a tricep extension/pushdown and front/side raises for shoulders, thursday would be rest and on friday add dips and machine flies

…I know ur not supposed to mess with the routine but as the routine states this is a template not a one size fits all routine so i just want some opinions

…also i would not be doing these assistance exercises in addition to the ones listed in the original program. these would replace those

A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by antevans007 View Post
    Thanks for checking this out. As the title says im 5'9 170lbs 20 years old and looking to start using the madcow 5x5 intermediate. ive been working out for about 3 years but only this past year have i taken it really seriously. Ive made some ridiculous gains but im pretty sure ive exhausted my newbie gains. Ive read everything about the intermediate plan and i feel its time for me to start it but i am big in isolation exercises. My question is could i throw in some machine flies and dumbbell press on monday, on tuesday do some back/bi, wednesday add a tricep extension/pushdown and front/side raises for shoulders, thursday would be rest and on friday add dips and machine flies

…I know ur not supposed to mess with the routine but as the routine states this is a template not a one size fits all routine so i just want some opinions

…also i would not be doing these assistance exercises in addition to the ones listed in the original program. these would replace those
    Theres no need, IF you are going to add any assistance exercises, just keep it to something simple (dips, chin-ups). Once you move onto a routine like 5/3/1 when you're too strong to make weekly gains, you can think about targeting 'weak' areas, until then I'd just work on getting stronger if I were you.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by antevans007 View Post

Its just one of those things you need to get over to make some progress. If you have decided that the 5x5 program is for you, it would be foolish alter it the first time you do it. This could be a period of 3-4 months before you stall, no time at all in lifting terms. If you keep up with your diet you aren't going to lose 4 inches from your arms or chest due to lack of isolation movements. The program is designed to beef up your important lifts ( which in turn will beef up your muscle mass assuming you continue to eat) there are isolations peppered in but the idea is to not concern yourself with them at all.

Worst case scenario you do the program for a few months, make some strength gains but aren't happy with the program as a whole when concerning your personal lifting goals. Make slight alterations if you want, or try something more geared towards the way you like to train. To alter a program before you even try it though is generally setting yourself up to fail, which is what many "X program doesn't work at all!!!" threads are fueled by :P

When a program comes with the disclaimer not one size fits all that is more directed towards an experienced lifter who knows their body well enough to make these kind of judgement calls on their own, and even still that could be referring to something as simple as "I only have an incline bench at my gym so i am going to have to replace all the flat bench work with incline work." Not so much "This program is nice but could really use some leg presses and dumbbell flies."

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DON'T SCREW WITH IT!
    That is all.

SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's def. not for everybody. There are a lot of great workout out there. Tons on the forum I would maybe look at other ones to try.
    No Excuses just results

Muscle Gauge Nutrition Rep

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It sounds like you would prefer a bodybuilding split routine. Instead of bastardizing a strength program, just find a bodybuilding one.