Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fraverdenstreet View Post
    same grip width, yes
    my elbows may possibly be lower on the presses than my jerks though. not sure but it kinda feels like it
    and to improve OHP, do some OHPs
    Thanks man.

And about the wrist thing, ive heard quite a few different things. Do you in particular prefer wrists to be cranked back where the bar is now placed behind your wrist, or do you control your wrist so that the bar is placed directly above the wrist.

Also, here is a video of Jim Wendler pressing his bodyweight for reps. He doesnt so much go up and over his head like a jerk. Quite odd actually due to his tight body posture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXWLI5AjLY
    Work in progress.

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by themg3 View Post
    Thanks man.

And about the wrist thing, ive heard quite a few different things. Do you in particular prefer wrists to be cranked back where the bar is now placed behind your wrist, or do you control your wrist so that the bar is placed directly above the wrist.

Also, here is a video of Jim Wendler pressing his bodyweight for reps. He doesnt so much go up and over his head like a jerk. Quite odd actually due to his tight body posture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXWLI5AjLY
    He presses like that because:
    1. He doesn't have the flexibility to hold the bar in a proper rack
    2. many power lifters do not have the flexibility to hold the bar in the proper position behind their his/her ears.
    3. a hyper flexed back makes overhead pressing slightly easier. refer to this video

I tried learning the "olympic press" once. Getting the lower body drive without bending the knees is pretty hard.
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by feces99 View Post
    He presses like that because:
    1. He doesn't have the flexibility to hold the bar in a proper rack
    2. many power lifters do not have the flexibility to hold the bar in the proper position behind their his/her ears.
    3. a hyper flexed back makes overhead pressing slightly easier. refer to this video

I tried learning the "olympic press" once. Getting the lower body drive without bending the knees is pretty hard.
    Thanks man. That video demonstrates the hip drive rippetoe was talking about in one of his military press videos.

My biggest question is the beginning portion of the press. I have the flexibility to create the "shoulder rack/platform", so at this point my elbows are relatively high. To begin the press, do i need to drop my elbows so that my forearms are vertical?

see JLCs vid as an example. He has the bar racked on his shoulders, shrugs a bit, then sinks elbows down to get forearms vertical and begins the press.
    Work in progress.

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by themg3 View Post
    Thanks man. That video demonstrates the hip drive rippetoe was talking about in one of his military press videos.

My biggest question is the beginning portion of the press. I have the flexibility to create the "shoulder rack/platform", so at this point my elbows are relatively high. To begin the press, do i need to drop my elbows so that my forearms are vertical?

see JLCs vid as an example. He has the bar racked on his shoulders, shrugs a bit, then sinks elbows down to get forearms vertical and begins the press.
    For me its natural. Just have the bar racked on your shoulders and just press the bar up. It would/should probably happen naturally.
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10) dandexter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I also can't figure out how to do strict presses from a rack position/bar sitting where it does after a clean. I kinda have it out in front my me/resting on very top of my chest (see in video below).

I have no problem un-racking the bar in that position or catching it after a clean. However I don't know how to press it from that position. Since the bar is sitting in my figures not my palms.

I would like to do it from a rack position.

Video of one of my lifts from a few months back...

What should I do to be able to press it from a rack position?

/watch?v=nEwLjN7aosg

Sorry I don't have enough posts to embed.