Registered User Dominicksummers's Avatar
    Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Created my own 5x5. Care to critique?

Based on proven 5x5 workouts I decided to create my own. First Ill tell you a little about myself. Im 15 years old and I wrestle. I put this on the workout forum instead of the teenbody building forum beacause Im doing it for strength, not gains. Im 5'3 and weigh 125lbs but I cut to 120 for off season tournaments. The workout is as follows ( I only have weights for monday):

Monday
    Bench 5x5 125 lbs
    Squat 5x5 165 lbs
    Upright barbell row 5x5 85 lbs

Wednesday
    Deadlift 5x4
    Incline Bench 5x5
    Standing Military 5x5

Friday
    Bench 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    Bent Over row 5x5

Increasing weight by 5 lbs every workout until a plateau is reached. My diet is good. What do you guys think?
    success comes before work only in the dictionary

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't think it's any better than SS, BS's 5x5, or TM
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wouldn't do inline bench and military on the same day, but other than that, looks fine on the surface.

You haven't defined whether it's 5x5 sets across, 5x5 ramping or some other method, and you haven't defined a progression scheme, so those are things you'll probably have to think about to figure out a way to make the program actually work.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dominicksummers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its a straight up 5x5. The last rep of set 5 being failure. Ill switch incline bench with bent over row.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Remove incline bench from Wednesday. Replace with chin ups. Then you'd have a good 5x5.

Replace your upright rows with power cleans and it's even better.

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Day 1: I would ditch upright row for for some sort of barbell row or pullup

day 2: Ditch incline or OHP, personally I would move incline to friday in place of flat bench. Add some sort of row or pullup

Day 3: This day is the best of the 3

Finally I would be doing some sort of neck and grip strength training each session

Thanks guys, so this is where i stand:

Day one:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Power clean ?

Day Two:
    Deadlifts 5x4
    Pull ups ?
    Standing military 5x5

Day 3:
    Incline bench 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    Bent over row 5x5

Im guessing the pullups should be weighted? Also i have no clue how many sets or reps to do on the power cleans or pull ups. Any suggestions?

Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dobbsde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im just happy to see a 15 year old that is learning 5x5 keep up the hard work

Talking

Originally Posted by Dobbsde View Post
    Im just happy to see a 15 year old that is learning 5x5 keep up the hard work
    Thanks

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just make sure you are selecting exercises and programming your routine based on the goals you want to achieve. If you train an exercise, make sure you have a purpose for training it. No sense wasting 5 hard sets on something that you don't want to do or that does not lead to your goals.

I think adding power cleans was a good move.

kingjames2324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingjames2324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingjames2324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're already jocking other 5x5's, why not just choose a proven one instea dof trying to make your own?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Dominicksummers View Post
    Day one:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Power clean ?
    5x3 is a decent way to go with PCs. Yep, that's 5x3, not 3x5.

Day Two:
    Deadlifts 5x4
    Pull ups ?
    Standing military 5x5
    That many deadlifts might be pretty hard going. I guess you'll find out one way or the other. I'd go for chinups instead of pullups (adding a tiny bit more bicep work to your routine), put them at the end, and do maybe 3x12 or so. Pick some numbers, really. When you can do that many sets and reps, add some weight. Rinse and repeat.

That's my suggestions anyway. In the end, you might be better off finding a routine somewhere and just giving it a try. Actually, an PDF you might want to check out is Greyskull LP. At the very least, you could take one part of a popular version of that program - the neck harness work - and add that to whatever else you might choose to do. Highly recommended for a wrestler, IMO.

SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000) SJones423 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're just starting out, 5x5's may not be right for you IMO. Going from no lifting to doing heavy reps will probably be hard on your joints/tendons, especially at your age. Personally, i'd recommend starting by just training between 8-12 reps, not too heavy. At least that way it'd condition your body to handling weights, instead of going all in at the start.

Smile

Originally Posted by SJones423 View Post
    If you're just starting out, 5x5's may not be right for you IMO. Going from no lifting to doing heavy reps will probably be hard on your joints/tendons, especially at your age. Personally, i'd recommend starting by just training between 8-12 reps, not too heavy. At least that way it'd condition your body to handling weights, instead of going all in at the start.
    Ive been lifting for a lil over a year now.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Dominicksummers View Post
    Thanks guys, so this is where i stand:

Day one:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Power clean ?

Day Two:
    Deadlifts 5x4
    Pull ups ?
    Standing military 5x5

Day 3:
    Incline bench 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    Bent over row 5x5

Im guessing the pullups should be weighted? Also i have no clue how many sets or reps to do on the power cleans or pull ups. Any suggestions?
    Looks much better that way. I would start doing 5x5 power cleans and once that becomes too much start doing 5x3.

For pull ups do whatever you can do get 5 reps in. If that means going weighted then go weighted.

Thanks guys