grandeson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

xmark, ironmaster super bench

Hey guys and gals, sorry to bother you all, had my first boy and i have to get back into shape now. Been a long time and am trying to put together a decent home set-up. I'll be using dumbbells. The bench is where im on the fence. Read mostly very good things about the ironmaster super bench, but brother has an xmark bench (7631), and speaks highly of it. That model doesn't have an incline position, but he said it was easily attained with a block of wood put where the ladder steps would be on a typical FID bench, though there is no seat cushion so you are supported by your own legs.. After that alteration, it gives him decline, flat, and incline (albeit without a seat), preacher, military, and a hyperextension for $280. I Also like the model 7628, their standard FID bench.
    So I'm looking for any advice from you guys, and I'm sure a bunch of jabs for starting another what bench thread. Lol. But specifically between the xmark 7631, 7628, and the ironmaster super bench.

xmarkfitness.com/Item/XM-7631/16/XMark__Ab__Hyperextension_and_Preacher_Curl_Weight _Bench $273 shipped

xmarkfitness.com/Item/XM-7628/187/XMark__Commercial_Rated_FID_and_Ab_Combo_Weight_Be nch $295 shipped

ironmaster.com/super-bench.html#.T2pIssq2W2E $287 shipped
    $328 shipped with crunch attachment to have decline

So berate me, mock me, ridicule me, but please help me as well. The long shot is the f320 by bodycraft, but I will need some major influencing on that.

Thanks guys, grandeson

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I hadn't seen the XMark 7631 before. Here are the photos from XMark's web site:

It looks like an interesting bench, but I would not purchase it to use as either a FID bench or even a flat bench. I think that inclined pad would get in the way all too often.

The XMark-7628 looks like a better choice. I'd narrow the search to just the XMark-7628, the Ironmaster Super Bench, and perhaps other recommendations in this thread.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

My brother says that inclined part, the preacher curl part is fully removable, throws a wrench in doesn't it?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by grandeson View Post
    My brother says that inclined part, the preacher curl part is fully removable, throws a wrench in doesn't it?
    Just have to find another wrench...

What's the length and height of the XMark 7631 in the flat position?

One of the problems that some have with the Ironmaster Bench is that it's about two to three inches too tall in the flat position. This (excessive) height in the flat position makes it difficult to get adequate leg drive when doing a flat bench press. Ironmaster lists their bench as being 20" high.

I don't know how tall the model is in the 7631 photos, but her thigh angle in the two photos where she is sitting suggest that the flat portion of the bench might be higher than the ideal height for doing a flat bench press. Anyway, since your brother has that bench, he should be able to provide those dimensions.

Yeah, I heard that about the super bench, brother lending me the 7631 for a few weeks, but really just want to order mine and get everything in order

Below are two of the product photos for the XMark 7628.

The photos above show at least two problems with the 7628.

The first is that the guys heels are up on the bench legs. This is either because the bench legs are in the way, preventing him from putting his feet flat on the floor or that the bench is too high.

The other problem, shown in the second photo, is the sizable gap between the seat and the rest of the bench.

Perhaps I'm being overly picky, but since one of the important lifts is flat bench press, the bench dimensions and ergonomics should be correct when set up in the flat configuration.

Yeah, I heard that about the super bench, brother lending me the 7631 for a few weeks, but really just want to order mine and get everything in order
    What's the height, in the flat position, of the 7631?

More importantly, are you able to place your feet flat on the floor, when lying down on it?

Since your brother is lending it to you, test it for a few days first to see if it suits you...

Loving the replies guys, keep them coming, will let you know after testing the 7631 on what I think, does this mean you favor the ironmaster super bench? Cause that lays high too. Maybe the body craft 320? Or do I even suggest that you guys make a suggestion? Lol.

Loving the replies guys, keep them coming, will let you know after testing the 7631 on what I think, does this mean you favor the ironmaster super bench?
    I have the Ironmaster Super Bench. I do find it to be a bit tall in the flat position, but it's not totally unusable. (I'm 5'10" tall.) That said, I think it'd be perfect for the flat bench press if it were a couple of inches shorter. Even one inch shorter would make a difference.

I like the adjustability of the Super Bench. It can be inclined (or declined) to 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 85 degrees. It is a perfect bench to use for dumbbell bench rows since you can choose an angle which'll set the high end of the bench to a height at which you can barely reach the dumbbells (or kettlebells) lying on the floor.

When I purchased the bench, I found the fact that you could add a lot of attachments to be very compelling. At the moment, the only attachment that I use with any regularity is the Dumbell Spotting Stand. I really like the dumbbell spotting stand. I would purchase the bench again just to be able to have and use the spotting stand.

If I were to purchase another FID bench, this is what I'd look for in order of importance:
    • Flat bench height of 17" to 18".
    • Little to no gap between the seat and back rest in the flat position.
    • Bench feet which do not get in the way of your own feet when lying on the bench. Benches which have only a single foot at that end of the bench are very nice.
    • If the bench has a leg hold down, it must be removable, so as to not get in the way when using the bench in the flat position.
    • Wide range of adjustability of the incline / decline.
    • When used inclined, the seat should adjust too so that you don't slide off the bench.

Note that the Ironmaster Super Bench meets many of these criteria, but not all.

Good post KBKB, do you know of any bench at the moment that matches up with your preferences that you described?

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good post KBKB, do you know of any bench at the moment that matches up with your preferences that you described?

Here you go:

http://store.sorinex.com/0_90_degree...ch_p/onw-1.htm

$949, sorry trying to keep around $300 pricepoint.

The Sorinex model listed by Daniel might, but they don't say what the bench height is when in the flat position. I also don't know what it looks like in the flat position.

That dimension - the bench height in the flat position - is surprisingly hard to find in a lot of bench descriptions. Here is a link to a very good bench resource, but it often doesn't include that detail either:

http://bodybuilding.wikkii.com/wiki/Benches

The Ironmaster bench isn't the only bench which is a bit on the tall side according to my criteria. The guy that started a thread asking about the Ironmaster bench said that he owns a Body-Solid FID31 - not sure if he meant the GFID31. Anyway, the OP in that thread says his bench is 22" tall. Body-Solid lists the height of the GFID31 in the flat position to be 20". It's not clear to me if the OP in that other thread has an older, discontinued bench or if he has the same bench but that the Body-Solid site is incorrect. The bench wiki mentioned earlier shows the height at 22".

If the bench wiki is to be believed, the Atlantis B-177 comes close to meeting my criteria. The height is apparently 17" (but the bench wiki lists it at 16"). mroc17 posted photos of it in his gym thread. My only quibble is with the gap between the seat and the backrest in the flat position.

A more affordable bench which looks pretty good (on paper anyway) is the Valor DD-11. The bench wiki lists the height at 18". The seat / backrest gap looks pretty good too.

Another bench to consider is the Body-Solid SFID325.

I think that these three benches each meets my criteria with regard to height. None of them has the adjustability of the Ironmaster bench though. It's hard to find a bench that does everything well. You will have to figure out what's important to you and make your selection based on your criteria.