Newcastlelad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Blood or metal taste in my mouth...

I just recently started working cardio into my routine and i was shocked at how unfit i was cardio wise i couldn't even run 1.5 mile under 12 mins.... took me 13 mins to run a mile... i haven't ran in years.

Any tips to start running without running out of breath to soon and having to walk i rather keep going a bit than walking and is twice a week to start off with good and does running distance and speed increase quickly?

Also i noticed i was a bit light headed when i started to walk and also a funny taste of blood or metal taste in my mouth is this normal?

nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10) nateridesbikes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Newcastlelad View Post
    funny taste of blood or metal taste in my mouth is this normal?
    Ive had the same thing but i couldnt tell you what the f it was

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Also i noticed i was a bit light headed when i started to walk and also a funny taste of blood or metal taste in my mouth is this normal?
    Could be any number of things from dental problems, to sinus issues, to improper diet.

If it persists, see your doc.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Probably cause you're out of shape like you mentioned.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 03-20-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just recently started working cardio into my routine and i was shocked at how unfit i was cardio wise i couldn't even run 1.5 mile under 12 mins.... took me 13 mins to run a mile... i haven't ran in years.

Any tips to start running without running out of breath to soon and having to walk i rather keep going a bit than walking and is twice a week to start off with good and does running distance and speed increase quickly?

Start off at a pace you can handle. Each week up it by .2 mph. Every 2 weeks I try to run a straight hour at the slower pace to build endurance. When I did this I could run an hour @ 7mph with no loss of breath and could easily run 8mph for 30 minutes and then burst @ 10mph for 5 additional minutes.

Now that I took a break from running, I lost a bit of it. I now try to do 6mph for 10 minutes, 7mph for 10 minutes, and each time increase my 10mph final push.

The key is gradual increase and you will get used to it.
    I Rep back always. Put it in comment.

500+ will 100% get repped back.

Life Progress

Started: 279lb 43% body fat
    1st Cut: 191lb 16% body fat
    1st Bulk: 231lb 26% body fat
    2010 Summer Cut: 193 10% body fat
    Bulking Currently 202 13% body fat.

iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTzxTwist3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb

That taste is normal when i started mma it happened every day my coach said it has something to do with iron in your blood makes its way to saliva. Kinda metal tasting like a spoon in your mouth.

As for the cardio it just takes time gradually push farther everyday and watch as you progress faster every time.
    I always rep back ;)

<All Out Assault Fight Club>
    *Lethal Legends Jiu-Jitsu*
    ~YMCA Lifters Crew~

Sign Block Coming Soon

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Could be any number of things from dental problems, to sinus issues, to improper diet.

If it persists, see your doc.
    This.

One of the most common issues leading to a "iron-like metallic taste" is activity that is far beyond your conditioning level (cardiac related).
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100)

I get that taste in my mouth when I run out in the cold for some reason.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's normal for very intense cardio. Typically related to certain parts of your heart not being able to work as hard as other parts, so you end up with more blood in circulation which gives you the metal taste sensation. Something like that. If you google it you'll find the medical term for it, but I'm too lazy to do it for you.

If it happens every time you are doing cardio then you probably want to go see a doc, and might want to think about backing off on the intensity and working your way up a little more slowly.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iTzxTwist3r View Post
    That taste is normal when i started mma it happened every day my coach said it has something to do with iron in your blood makes its way to saliva. Kinda metal tasting like a spoon in your mouth.

As for the cardio it just takes time gradually push farther everyday and watch as you progress faster every time.
    Makes sense. If you do the same workout for a week, then shortly within the week it won't be as bad. If you are doing MMA like quote above, then it's probably easier to get ahead of yourself after each session.

Like Peter and IronWill said, if it happens after the same workout, after doing it rather frequently (with at least some considerable rest, mind you), then talking to a doctor about your specific activities is a good idea.

edit: Just realized your mile pace, and it's a bit out of shape.
    Originally Posted by jay24k View Post
    Start off at a pace you can handle.
    This is good agenda to follow. Key word is pace. Pick a time limit, and do a speed with some energy to spare.

PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Found a good article talking about this:

METALLIC TASTE IN THE MOUTH DURING EXERCISE
    Jun 14, 2011 | By Matthew Larson

You may have experienced a metallic taste in your mouth during exercise. There are many conditions associated with this symptom, so it is important to discuss your particular case with your doctor. However, a metallic taste during exercise is not necessarily cause for alarm, particularly if there are no other symptoms. The metallic taste may present when your heart is unable to keep up with the physical demands you are placing on it. Or, it may be due to mild pulmonary edema and the subsequent accumulation of red blood cells in your phlegm.

THE UNDERPERFORMING HEART
    What is likely happening during exercise is a very mild form of heart failure, or poor heart performance. Normally, your heart is pumping out exactly how much it is pumping in. The system usually runs very smoothly, resulting in the proper flow of blood. If one element of the pump is not performing at full capacity, fluid may accumulated in unwanted places. If your left ventricle is not able to pump blood out of the heart at the rate the right ventricle pumps it into the lungs, fluid accumulation, or edema, may result.
    Signs Of Kidney Cancer Be Aware Of The Signs Of Kidney Cancer. See The Common Signs Now. www.Blend.com/Kidney-Cancer
    Sponsored Links

RED BLOOD CELLS
    Red blood cells are highly specialized units that are basically bags of hemoglobin, a molecule which has evolved to efficiently carry oxygen. Our red cells carry around hemoglobin in groups of four subunits, each connected to a center iron ion. Fe++ is the symbol for this ion; Fe standing for iron and ++ standing for its total charge. Our tongues carry receptors that respond to Fe by sending a "metallic" signal to the brain.

ALLOW YOUR HEART TO CATCH UP
    Your body is capable of dealing with this mild form of cardiac underperformance. You have probably experienced the relief of symptoms when you stopped exercising long enough to feel rested. As your left ventricle steps up its game and the demands from the right ventricle decrease, the fluid is cleared out and red cells no longer accumulate in the lungs.

EXPERT INSIGHT
    According to MayoClinic.com, full-blown heart failure produces symptoms including shortness of breath. This can be accounted for by an even more extreme accumulation of fluid than seen with intense exercise. Nevertheless, the same essential pathology is occurring in heart failure as in high-intensity exercise.

APPLICATIONS
    Understanding how to interpret clinical symptoms can be a useful skill. The idea that the heart functions like any mechanical pump allows you to reason through disease processes affecting your cardiovascular system.

REFERENCES
    MayoClinic.com: Heart Failure Symptoms; Mayo Clinic Staff; December 2009
    nlm.nih.gov: Hemoglobin; David C. Dugdale; February 2010
    Article reviewed by Jason Dean Last updated on: Jun 14, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...#ixzz1pebQPata

DIY Plyo Boxes:

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP, start at a pace you can handle and sustain. This may be walking for the the first few attempts. You only get better at running by doing more of it.

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So, just posting for serious answers....

When I go sometimes for chest, at my 6 reps (and it is a one step over my normal weight, progression ) I feel that metalic taste in my mouth.....

It normally comes after the 1st set of 6's, probably at the end of the 5th-6th rep of set 2 and 3.

As it is not cardio, and as I do have some heart problems (faulty valve, valve murmur)....what's your insight?
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

Pulmonary edema and red blood cells in the phlegm. Sounds about right. This is a fun condition for smokers.

XADO I'm kind of familiar with what you're talking about. Just curious if you've familiarized yourself with higher and lower rep ranges as much?

Registered User fightingfalcn91's Avatar
    fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fightingfalcn91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Found a good article talking about this:

METALLIC TASTE IN THE MOUTH DURING EXERCISE
    Jun 14, 2011 | By Matthew Larson

You may have experienced a metallic taste in your mouth during exercise. There are many conditions associated with this symptom, so it is important to discuss your particular case with your doctor. However, a metallic taste during exercise is not necessarily cause for alarm, particularly if there are no other symptoms. The metallic taste may present when your heart is unable to keep up with the physical demands you are placing on it. Or, it may be due to mild pulmonary edema and the subsequent accumulation of red blood cells in your phlegm.

THE UNDERPERFORMING HEART
    What is likely happening during exercise is a very mild form of heart failure, or poor heart performance. Normally, your heart is pumping out exactly how much it is pumping in. The system usually runs very smoothly, resulting in the proper flow of blood. If one element of the pump is not performing at full capacity, fluid may accumulated in unwanted places. If your left ventricle is not able to pump blood out of the heart at the rate the right ventricle pumps it into the lungs, fluid accumulation, or edema, may result.
    Signs Of Kidney Cancer Be Aware Of The Signs Of Kidney Cancer. See The Common Signs Now. www.Blend.com/Kidney-Cancer
    Sponsored Links

RED BLOOD CELLS
    Red blood cells are highly specialized units that are basically bags of hemoglobin, a molecule which has evolved to efficiently carry oxygen. Our red cells carry around hemoglobin in groups of four subunits, each connected to a center iron ion. Fe++ is the symbol for this ion; Fe standing for iron and ++ standing for its total charge. Our tongues carry receptors that respond to Fe by sending a "metallic" signal to the brain.

ALLOW YOUR HEART TO CATCH UP
    Your body is capable of dealing with this mild form of cardiac underperformance. You have probably experienced the relief of symptoms when you stopped exercising long enough to feel rested. As your left ventricle steps up its game and the demands from the right ventricle decrease, the fluid is cleared out and red cells no longer accumulate in the lungs.

EXPERT INSIGHT
    According to MayoClinic.com, full-blown heart failure produces symptoms including shortness of breath. This can be accounted for by an even more extreme accumulation of fluid than seen with intense exercise. Nevertheless, the same essential pathology is occurring in heart failure as in high-intensity exercise.

APPLICATIONS
    Understanding how to interpret clinical symptoms can be a useful skill. The idea that the heart functions like any mechanical pump allows you to reason through disease processes affecting your cardiovascular system.

REFERENCES
    MayoClinic.com: Heart Failure Symptoms; Mayo Clinic Staff; December 2009
    nlm.nih.gov: Hemoglobin; David C. Dugdale; February 2010
    Article reviewed by Jason Dean Last updated on: Jun 14, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...#ixzz1pebQPata
    LOL.. too lazy to google the medical term but ya found this? Helpful nonetheless....

Originally Posted by fightingfalcn91 View Post
    LOL.. too lazy to google the medical term but ya found this? Helpful nonetheless....
    That's PG for you... Throwin' the old 1-2.

That's the difference between 12:02 AM and 7:05 AM.

DIY Plyo Boxes: