SirspankaLot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am i overtraining or not?

Hi,

i have a well "simple" question, am i overtraining or not? my training routine looks currently like this;
    Mo:Back/biceps/abs

Tue:Chest/triceps + 1,5hour mma training in the evening

wed:Shoulders/Legs +1,5 hour boxing in the evening

thu:back/biceps/abs +1,5 grappling training in the evening

Fri:Chest/Shoulders

Sat:Rest
    sun: Rest

I go every training pretty intense, although mostly on wednesdays im pretty tired, so some times i take the thursday off with weiglifting and just do grappling then.
    i eat 6 times a day, and try to get 6-8 hours sleep every night,

so anbody got any advise for me? or a better schedule? i notice i seem to make better progress if i just weightlift 3 times(mon/wed/friday) a week,but its hard to lay down^^

anyway all help will be greatly appreciated

thanks,

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    why train chest twice a week?also shoulders after chest ? would space that out a bit put back in there before shoulders.Take a day of inbetween and have just a leg day maybe something like this ?

day 1 chest triceps

3 back biceps

5 shoulders abs

7 legs abs

personally i would leave all the mma and boxing inbetween weight days ,prob be more focused and energized and ready for it.Good Luck.

thanks, seems like a good routine,problem is i cant train on sunday's(gym closed) and saturday im working the whole day,but yes it would be better to stack the boxing and mma inbetween weight days.sometimes im quite done from the weighttraing an find it hard to focus during the classes..

thanks alot for the helpfull input!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RussAnderson View Post
    why train chest twice a week?
    Why not? The consensus around here recently seems to be that most people benefit more from each bodypart twice a week.

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Why not? The consensus around here recently seems to be that most people benefit more from each bodypart twice a week.
    consider his mma and boxing training i would try to find a balance for both , so hit the chest hard once a week recover and follow on with his evening training.

davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you're training chest twice a week? I understand you want to have nice pecs for the ladies, but keep in mind your leg muscles are like the biggest muscle in your body. I think you should train every part of you body the same number of times per week.
    A- :Chest/triceps
    B - :Shoulders/Legs
    C- back/biceps/abs
    Why don't you do A, B, C, A, next week B, C, A, B, the other week C, A, B, C. That's more balanced I think

OP is probably a phaggot yepimonfire's Avatar
    yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you're progress is not suffering, you're not overtraining.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RussAnderson View Post
    consider his mma and boxing training i would try to find a balance for both , so hit the chest hard once a week recover and follow on with his evening training.
    Depends... if he is actually training to improve at a sport then higher frequency is better and bodypart splits are not required. Strength / performance athletes often train muscles 2-3x a week.

if this is essentially a posing/bodybuilder routine then maybe you'd be right.

thanks guys,

i must say, my weigt lifting is more bodybuilding style, i know that to improve in mma i would probably be better off doing, more crossfit like exercises like clean and jerks etc..but i really dont like that kind of training..i feels more like cardio to me than really muscle building and getting stronger..

@david pac i'm basicaly doing that, i just put chest/shoulders there because that is what i really love to train, but most of the times i rotate on friday's, between chest/shoulders or another back/biceps/abs..

with this training frequency i also feel becoming tired around wednesdays/thursday becoming grumpy and sore etc..so some times i skip the weights on thursdays,but i never skip any boxing or mma training..

thanks for all the input guys, really apreciate it, good to hear some opinions on it

Originally Posted by SirspankaLot View Post
    thanks guys,

i must say, my weigt lifting is more bodybuilding style, i know that to improve in mma i would probably be better off doing, more crossfit like exercises like clean and jerks etc..but i really dont like that kind of training..i feels more like cardio
    No, crossfit is not strength/power training - you simply don't use enough weight from what I've seen. And you are right, it IS more like cardio than anything. I was thinking more like Starting Strength. Most athletic movements originate in the core and hips which are the kind of muscles that SS trains very well. You do power cleans for explosiveness but most of the exercises are for pure strength - and will contribute to size too provided that you get lean enough to see the definition.

davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidpac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @david pac i'm basicaly doing that, i just put chest/shoulders there because that is what i really love to train, but most of the times i rotate on friday's, between chest/shoulders or another back/biceps/abs..
    chest is also my favorite part to train, when I started out, I mostly trained chest and the some back and legs. On the long term I got a pretty good chest for a 15 year old, but a narrow back and narrow legs. But if you're rotating I think there is no problem. And all you mma training should get a nice muscle definition and nice abs. LUCKY YOU!!! ahah

nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000) nerd_power is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post
    if your progress is not suffering, you're not overtraining.
    This.

-Andrew

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by davidpac View Post
    I got a pretty good chest for a 15 year old
    no you don't

6ft 150lbs
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

Registered User PlusCTMMAGFTeam's Avatar
    PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlusCTMMAGFTeam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I train Jiu Jitsu inbetween my weight lifting days. Reason being that grappling is also like another work out (for me anyway). I can't mix the two on the same day because my arms get way to fatigued, and basically go numb. Some people on the other hand can do both with no problem. I guess if your not burnt out then you should be ok.

Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    no you don't

6ft 150lbs
    I'm 21 years old now, come on, it's right here on my profile, all you had to do was read the text on the left next to my comment. I was about 140lbs when I was 15 years old, I haven't worked out for about 5 years and I'm starting again. Get it?

Originally Posted by PlusCTMMAGFTeam View Post
    I train Jiu Jitsu inbetween my weight lifting days. Reason being that grappling is also like another work out (for me anyway). I can't mix the two on the same day because my arms get way to fatigued, and basically go numb. Some people on the other hand can do both with no problem. I guess if your not burnt out then you should be ok.
    no,i have no problems with that, although it is not adviseable to anybody to train shoulders on a boxing day ^^

thanks for all the advice guys,i think im just gonna measure arm/chest etc, to see if i keep gaining in the future..thing is i am just started training for 2 months again, been out a year with pfeiffers disease and well after been off for a year you see results very fast, i just need to make sure i'm not doing to much or overtraining so i might get stuck in a few weeks..

i find it hard to see when i am training to much, especially when some folks say "less is more with weighttraining" i feel when i do less weight training for example 3 times a week,i feel much better rested..so i could do for example:

mon:back/biceps/abs
    tue: MMa
    wed:chest/triceps-->boxing
    thur:grappling
    friday:shoulders/legs
    sat:rest
    sun:rest

but this really play's with my mind ^^ cant stand not weightlifting everyday..

oh and im not one who jumped on the mma hype train btw,i did my first kickboxing match when i was 16,then i joined the army at 18,was training on an off for while there,lots of exercises/field days etc..took a tour to afghanistan, got back started pancrase, to do an mma match in 2007 i believe, ruptured my shoulder(out for a year again ) just recovered in time for another tour to afghanistan,got back started training again,then got pefeiffers disease so now im back training for exactly 2months now, trying to get stuff more organised to really keep results and trying not to overtrain etc..and my goal is to start fighting mma matches somewhere this year, but i'm also hooked to bodybuilding, so i try to combine as best as possible..

sorry for the wall of text^^ i really apreciate all your help guys!

thanks for all the great info and thoughts and keep 'm coming if you got a better schedule for me, please let me now..

also what do you guys think of the "less is more" principle? (btw im from holland so please forgive any spelling mistakes)

thanks guys,

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Am i overtraining or not?

How the hell would we know?

YOU are the one who would have an elevated HR in the morning, would be dragging yourself around like a wounded duck, would be almost in terror at the prospect of another session in the gym, would have all measures of progress like poundages, reps, going down, down, down.

If you don't have those kind of symptoms, it is unlikely you are overtraining, no matter how high your volume, tonnage, etc.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

thanks,No i dont have any of those symptoms, i was just wondering i taking more rest would improve my growth..but i guess im the only one who can find out right^^

for now my poundages keep growing,and im getting bigger and stronger so i just will continue this way for now,and in a couple weeks im gonna change to a different program to see what happens..

thing is, i dont know many people around me,who train with the same intensity, so i dont have any references or things like that,so i really like some opinions

thanks,

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks,No i dont have any of those symptoms.....
    Then you are not overtraining.

for now my poundages keep growing,and im getting bigger and stronger so i just will continue this way for now,and in a couple weeks im gonna change to a different program to see what happens..
    Jesus wept. You are getting bigger and stronger and you want that to stop?????????

You keep the hell doing what the hell you are doing until it stops the hell working.

Is everyone retarted when it comes to making progress?

You do not piss around with variety for its own sake, unless you want to make no progress long term.

thing is, i dont know many people around me,who train with the same intensity, so i dont have any references or things like that,so i really like some opinions
    You shouldn't give a fck what anyone else is doing. Just keep doing what is working for you right now. When you stop making progress on that, look at the stickies for a good program, and do that.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).