rockguyinindy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bowflex Extreme 2 Workouts

Hey all....I just joined up here on BB.com and want to get feedback or serious answers on working out with a Bowflex Xtreme 2. I am 47, in relative descent shape though skinny. I'm 6-3, 200lbs and a avid softball player from May through October. I have noticed lately that it looks awful when I have a short sleeved shirt on. Narrow shoulders, skinny arms etc....I used to workout pretty regularly up until I was 40 on weights/dumbells. I was used to doing the ole heavy duty type of workouts where you train for about 20 mins hi intensity and rest for 4 days before hitting another muscle group. Well, I dont have access to the gym or using weights so I got a Bowflex extreme 2 and would like to hear some of your advise as to training. Go stricktly by the bowflex guide which is basically 4 days a week??? Make up my own which is always been the push/pull method (Chest-Triceps-Shoulders) & (Back-Biceps-Legs) with of course abs a few days a week???? I basically want to improve my muscle mass, gain muscle weight and overall good health. Any feedback would be awesome. Thx!

Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Thebigzub has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The 2 best workouts you will get from the Bowflex Xtreme 2 are......
    When you took it out of the box and put it together
    and when you haul it outside to the roadside for haul away.....

perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Thebigzub View Post
    Lol'd

rockguyinindy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Thebigzub View Post
    Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahaha

perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perro13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Srs. Do a search for bowflex. You may be mad your results/cost ratio.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most here are adamant about using free weights instead of machines. In your case, you have a bow flex. I've never used one so I can't comment on how effective/ineffective it may be. That said, without knowing the list of exercises in your push/pull split, it's hard to comment. Quite a few people use push/pull/leg splits with free weights here to great success. Most people have an entire day dedicated to legs.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000) MadJasper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rockguyinindy View Post
    Hey all....I just joined up here on BB.com and want to get feedback or serious answers on working out with a Bowflex Xtreme 2. I am 47, in relative descent shape though skinny. I'm 6-3, 200lbs and a avid softball player from May through October. I have noticed lately that it looks awful when I have a short sleeved shirt on. Narrow shoulders, skinny arms etc....I used to workout pretty regularly up until I was 40 on weights/dumbells. I was used to doing the ole heavy duty type of workouts where you train for about 20 mins hi intensity and rest for 4 days before hitting another muscle group. Well, I dont have access to the gym or using weights so I got a Bowflex extreme 2 and would like to hear some of your advise as to training. Go stricktly by the bowflex guide which is basically 4 days a week??? Make up my own which is always been the push/pull method (Chest-Triceps-Shoulders) & (Back-Biceps-Legs) with of course abs a few days a week???? I basically want to improve my muscle mass, gain muscle weight and overall good health. Any feedback would be awesome. Thx!
    My brother in law was a amatuer bodybuilder, but he was in a lightweight class. I think he's 5'10" and might have weighed 150. He only did a few comps and this was kindof an after 40 bucket list for him. He used a bow flex to supplement his workouts hen his schedule kept him out of the gym. He still uses it to stay fit, but he'll be the first to tell you that he will not make any substantial muscle gains from it.

Just depends a lot on what your goals are op.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1) Put the bowflex on ebay or craigslist.
    2) In the one or two weeks it takes to sell; use the bowflex along with a basic bodyweight routine, working all the major muscle groups.
    3) Before the end of auction start looking for a power rack, bench, and olympic weight set.
    4) When the day comes and someone comes to pick up the bowflex, be sure to tell him how great it is and how it has improved your life. Take his cash and pocket it with a smile.
    5) Use the money to buy the above items, and just stick with bodyweight exercises until they arrive.

That poor, poor bowflex is going to spend its whole life moving from house to house like a naughty foster child, but it brought it on itself.... with a bit of luck it will catch rust- and DIE!!!
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500)

Lightbulb

Hmmmm...........first off:

If your set on machines.......commercial gym quality selectorized machines can be bought (used) for close to the same price as a new bowflex. Much bigger bang for your buck......not to mention much better results.

I got the following machines for $300 to $500 each.....total for all machines was $2,900 and that included shipping, loading, unloading, setup....the works.

These machines will for sure last me the rest of my life no matter how much I use them with little to no main. Dab a little grease on them once a year (five minutes...$3 and thats it).

I will say for sure these Cybex (and the like) machines are "WAY" better than any bowflex (or the like) machines!!

Craigs list is your best friend.......just takes time.

Attached Images

jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500)
    We can't forget about (IMO) the most important part of a home gym.

You can get these pretty cheap as well....usually a couple hundred or so (sometimes that will even include bar/plates/db's...whatever the given seller has....they usually just want it gone!!!).

Just keep looking and be ready to jump....lol....bcecause the deals don't last long!

Attached Images
    Last edited by jrctherake; 03-18-2012 at 10:33 AM.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Any feedback would be awesome. Thx!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post682131331

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    The Bowflex is simply a cable machine, an overpriced, under built, prone to breakage one, but simply a cable machine none the less. this means that you can do the cable version of any exercise you want to provided you don't max out the resistance of the machine you are using. Since there is a cable version of pretty much every exercise out there you can do any routine you want to, though I would recommend trying one that has worked, either for you, or for a variety of different people.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackBabyyy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    The Bowflex is simply a cable machine, an overpriced, under built, prone to breakage one, but simply a cable machine none the less. this means that you can do the cable version of any exercise you want to provided you don't max out the resistance of the machine you are using. Since there is a cable version of pretty much every exercise out there you can do any routine you want to, though I would recommend trying one that has worked, either for you, or for a variety of different people.
    its a cable machine that doesn't provide constant resistance, making it mostly useless.

ie its like starting every rep with 1lb and then ending with 100lb so its impossible to actually be at the number you intend to be at.

the way the bow works you don't get any resistance until you're almost at the end of the motion and then its suddenly too much to even complete the full range of motion. the result is the same as doing a quarter range of motion rep with the weight you should be using.
    modelling superstar

EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had a bowflex several years ago and got some great results from it. They aren't the greatest for gaining mass, but will keep you in shape if you use it. I agree that free weights are much better, everyone doesn't have the space for a squat rack, bench, weight set. So since you have it make the most out of it. Anything beats doing nothing IMO.
    Eric

PR's
    squat 335x1
    benchpress 245x1
    DB Benchpress 100'sx6
    Bent over rows 245x8
    deadlifts 445x1
    Military press 130x6
    Chin-ups BW+100x2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144259741 My workout journal

tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Again I have an unpopular answer. Look at my profile page and my before and after pics. That was about 4 years ago. I believe I have the timeline on there. It was mostly bowflex (but not all). I lost 50 pounds that year. I got away from the bowflex and ended up hurting myself on a cheap bench. Pinched a nerve in my back. Layed off the weights for about a year and a half. So last March I basically started over.
    I'm not using the bowflex now, but I definitely wouldn't knock it. A work out is a work out. I agree you aren't going to be Mr. Olympia on the bowflex, but if you go from no workout to using it, it will help.
    On the other hand, it's an awful expensive clothes rack. So don't buy it if you won't use it.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it will be fine OP.
    use it until you max it out and then move on to a free weight system.
    I would definitely shoot for more than 20 minute workouts.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That thread still makes me laugh. Nothing but a bowflex...too frickin funny.
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

Mikeoh112002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Bowflex WORKS- if used correctly

After all of THAT impatient commentary- listen--- the bowflex WORKS. What people and most users don't focus on is the element of RESISTANCE. Get the weight pack and stack it.

Choose a workout that you think matches your ability and focus. Use the software---- do the initial workout- don't bounce the weight--- perform reps 1/10 slower with extreme focus on control and intended motion.
    Here's the kicker - slow your reps to at a minimum 1/10 the speed you would normally do them. Bouncing elastics is what most people comment on.... If you bounce elastics then burn your bowflex. This machine tests more strength control in motion than any other. Go ahead - stack the weight 80 each side- reverse fly that in 1/10 speed all the way to lateral. Good luck pal. You don't yank a bowflex workout--- you CONTROL IT. Doing that will provide more results that any other weight out there.
    Why??? Because it allows you to slow the reps for lateral related benefits in every set type you perform. The consistency in ramped up resistance coupled with controlled slow reps will produce a far greater overall effect. You absolutely need to use the tool for its maximum effect. If you want to bounce elastics--- find a pony tail that has one- hopefully he is cute.... And of consenting age....

If you want to round out your core workout plan with side effects that you've never seen before with dead weight of any kind- embrace the bowflex ex ii and get the added weight pack. Key for the machine is to always disconnect and strap up the rods after every use. Never leave it connected- or disconnected without the rods velcro'd in complete upright position.

For cardio - run- martial arts of any kind- Xbox ultimate fighting trainer--- don't
    Laugh--- do it and meet all of the asks....
    No half reps - no bounces.

See- working out doesn't mean extreme dead weight- it means habitual consistent overall strength conditioning plus a complimentary cardio habit. Without both you have half of the effect.

Most effective in the Morning after fist of a carb and a fist of a protien intake--- eat six fist size meal parts after that every 2 hours. Nothing after 8pm- no snacks all day. Plenty of water. It is that simple.

You end up eating All day- working out when metabolism is ready to fire and not starving all day long.
    Your day will be peaked at the start and sustain you for the day. If you feel a slump- take a two mile walk at lunch - use a fist of meal right before.

Kick that into high gear by 8ozs grapefruit juice before everyday part.... Deep squats held for 90 seconds before and after each meal part. Make your meal parts rounded - two greens- two proteins- two carbs- morning 3-4 egg whites and a piece of PB wheat toast.
    Hydrate- water--- morning is the only gator or powerade option. No exceptions for any other branded drinks--- unless they count as your fist of meal. The rest of the day can't have the sugars.
    But back
    To
    The point------

Bowflex is slow and controlled reps which exponentially increase the effect while complimenting supporting muscles.

Anyone says it is useless does reps faster than any trainer would accept.... Period. On any weight element.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Mikeoh112002 View Post
    .....snip......
    Doesn't mean a thing without a pic showing the development you achieved with your boflex.

How about posting one as proof of it's effectiveness?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000) powernpain is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mikeoh112002 View Post
    After all of THAT impatient commentary- listen--- the bowflex WORKS. What people and most users don't focus on is the element of RESISTANCE. Get the weight pack and stack it.

Choose a workout that you think matches your ability and focus. Use the software---- do the initial workout- don't bounce the weight--- perform reps 1/10 slower with extreme focus on control and intended motion.
    Here's the kicker - slow your reps to at a minimum 1/10 the speed you would normally do them. Bouncing elastics is what most people comment on.... If you bounce elastics then burn your bowflex. This machine tests more strength control in motion than any other. Go ahead - stack the weight 80 each side- reverse fly that in 1/10 speed all the way to lateral. Good luck pal. You don't yank a bowflex workout--- you CONTROL IT. Doing that will provide more results that any other weight out there.
    Why??? Because it allows you to slow the reps for lateral related benefits in every set type you perform. The consistency in ramped up resistance coupled with controlled slow reps will produce a far greater overall effect. You absolutely need to use the tool for its maximum effect. If you want to bounce elastics--- find a pony tail that has one- hopefully he is cute.... And of consenting age....

If you want to round out your core workout plan with side effects that you've never seen before with dead weight of any kind- embrace the bowflex ex ii and get the added weight pack. Key for the machine is to always disconnect and strap up the rods after every use. Never leave it connected- or disconnected without the rods velcro'd in complete upright position.

For cardio - run- martial arts of any kind- Xbox ultimate fighting trainer--- don't
    Laugh--- do it and meet all of the asks....
    No half reps - no bounces.

See- working out doesn't mean extreme dead weight- it means habitual consistent overall strength conditioning plus a complimentary cardio habit. Without both you have half of the effect.

Most effective in the Morning after fist of a carb and a fist of a protien intake--- eat six fist size meal parts after that every 2 hours. Nothing after 8pm- no snacks all day. Plenty of water. It is that simple.

You end up eating All day- working out when metabolism is ready to fire and not starving all day long.
    Your day will be peaked at the start and sustain you for the day. If you feel a slump- take a two mile walk at lunch - use a fist of meal right before.

Kick that into high gear by 8ozs grapefruit juice before everyday part.... Deep squats held for 90 seconds before and after each meal part. Make your meal parts rounded - two greens- two proteins- two carbs- morning 3-4 egg whites and a piece of PB wheat toast.
    Hydrate- water--- morning is the only gator or powerade option. No exceptions for any other branded drinks--- unless they count as your fist of meal. The rest of the day can't have the sugars.
    But back
    To
    The point------

Bowflex is slow and controlled reps which exponentially increase the effect while complimenting supporting muscles.

Anyone says it is useless does reps faster than any trainer would accept.... Period. On any weight element.

This add has been brought to you and sponsored by: BF
    Observe everyone and everything, accept what is useful, discard what is useless, and create essentially what is your own – “Bruce Lee”