JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

5/3/1 Boring but big?

okay i understand 5/3/1 now. so whats Boring but Big? im doing the bodybuidling alternative.

also what if i miss in 5/3/1 wtf do i do? for ex. lets say i work up to a 600lb deadlift. im only at 325 right now. so eventually its gunna catch up to me. In SS i get 3 shots. than i resett. whats the instructions for 5/3/1?

i mean going up 300 lbs would be amazing. but i sure as hell doubt it... 300 lbs.. 30 weeks... so im curious as to what people do if they somehow miss their last set on the 3rd week doing their 95% 1 rep + whatever they can muster.

also matt ogus does tricep rope pulldowns for the long head i think and a "standing french press" for the lateral head. So is the standing french press. literally a skull crusher but your standing??? if thats the case than i know what to do... tricep rope pulldowns and skull crushers lol and just switch em off. As for biceps ill switch of DB curls with preacher.

thanks guys, i read SS already so i got down the basic core lifts and all, and i read most of jim welders 5/3/1 and other questions answered on that one site and stickied thread. So idk if i really need to buy his e-book to do this program. . .

ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    okay i understand 5/3/1 now. so whats Boring but Big? im doing the bodybuidling alternative.

also what if i miss in 5/3/1 wtf do i do? for ex. lets say i work up to a 600lb deadlift. im only at 325 right now. so eventually its gunna catch up to me. In SS i get 3 shots. than i resett. whats the instructions for 5/3/1?

i mean going up 300 lbs would be amazing. but i sure as hell doubt it... 300 lbs.. 30 weeks... so im curious as to what people do if they somehow miss their last set on the 3rd week doing their 95% 1 rep + whatever they can muster.

also matt ogus does tricep rope pulldowns for the long head i think and a "standing french press" for the lateral head. So is the standing french press. literally a skull crusher but your standing??? if thats the case than i know what to do... tricep rope pulldowns and skull crushers lol and just switch em off. As for biceps ill switch of DB curls with preacher.

thanks guys, i read SS already so i got down the basic core lifts and all, and i read most of jim welders 5/3/1 and other questions answered on that one site and stickied thread. So idk if i really need to buy his e-book to do this program. . .
    I'm in no mood to go through 5/3/1 to find the answers, but the answers to your questions ARE in the book. It's not exactly a long book. If you'd read it at all, you'd know exactly what "boring but big" is and exactly what to do when you fail. It's all in there!

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't understand 5 3 1, see below.

BBB is the bodybuilding assistance template that has you doing 5 x 10 x 50-60% training max x < 1 min rest after your heavy 5 3 1 work for the same movement. You also do 5 x 10 for a complementary/assisting movement, like DB rows on bench day, chins/pulldowns on press day, abs on deadlift day, leg curl on squat day.

It is all in the e-book which you should get if you are serious about this. Also read everything Wendler wrote over at Tnation in the "Blood and Chalk" series etc. You simply take your current actual max, take 90% of that, and use that as your new training max(just like all the Eastern European weightlifters). Then you run as many months/cycles as you can, increasing your dead 10lbs every cycle, until you don't get your scheduled reps in your top sets. That could be after six cycles or a year if you start light like......... you are supposed to.

If you start with your actual max, you'll stall too soon. So if your current max deadlift is 325, use 290lbs as your training max.

Calculate all your waves

W1 5 x 65, 5 x 75, 5+ x 85%

W2 3 x 70, 3 x 80, 3+ x 90%

W3 5 x 75, 3 x 85, 1+ x 95%

from your 290 training max.

NO

You add at most 10lbs to your deadlift training max every "month"/mesocycle/cycle. That is every month on the four day template, every five weeks on the three day a week template, and every six weeks on the two day a week template with no deload.

In the first case it would take you 30 months, or 2 1/2 years if you never had to reset, worked like a dog, and ate like Conan.

In the second case it would take 3 years, assuming no reset.

In the third case it would take 4 years, assuming you never had to reset poundages.

French Press = Standing Tri Extension. Triceps bar allows parallel grip kinder to elbows, shoulders. I love them. EZ bar or straight bar kills my elbows with tendonitis.

Preacher curls can kill your biceps tendon and your elbow ligaments if you lose tension on the bottom. Spider curl, where the bottom position has your arms down vertical, doesn't have that problem. Just as good for killing your bis.

Get the e-book.

It will change the way you train, seriously.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by jgreystoke; 03-18-2012 at 03:28 AM.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    You don't understand 5 3 1, see below.

BBB is the bodybuilding assistance template that has you doing 5 x 10 x 50-60% training max x < 1 min rest after your heavy 5 3 1 work for the same movement. You also do 5 x 10 for a complementary/assisting movement, like DB rows on bench day, chins/pulldowns on press day, abs on deadlift day, leg curl on squat day.

It is all in the e-book which you should get if you are serious about this. Also read everything Wendler wrote over at Tnation in the "Blood and Chalk" series etc. You simply take your current actual max, take 90% of that, and use that as your new training max(just like all the Eastern European weightlifters). Then you run as many months/cycles as you can, increasing your dead 10lbs every cycle, until you don't get your scheduled reps in your top sets. That could be after six cycles or a year if you start light like......... you are supposed to.

If you start with your actual max, you'll stall too soon. So if your current max deadlift is 325, use 290lbs as your training max.

Calculate all your waves

W1 5 x 65, 5 x 75, 5+ x 85%

W2 3 x 70, 3 x 80, 3+ x 90%

W3 5 x 75, 3 x 85, 1+ x 95%

from your 290 training max.

NO

You add at most 10lbs to your deadlift training max every "month"/mesocycle/cycle. That is every month on the four day template, every five weeks on the three day a week template, and every six weeks on the two day a week template with no deload.

In the first case it would take you 30 months, or 2 1/2 years if you never had to reset, worked like a dog, and ate like Conan.

In the second case it would take 3 years, assuming no reset.

In the third case it would take 4 years, assuming you never had to reset poundages.

French Press = Standing Tri Extension. Triceps bar allows parallel grip kinder to elbows, shoulders. I love them. EZ bar or straight bar kills my elbows with tendonitis.

Preacher curls can kill your biceps tendon and your elbow ligaments if you lose tension on the bottom. Spider curl, where the bottom position has your arms down vertical, doesn't have that problem. Just as good for killing your bis.

Get the e-book.

It will change the way you train, seriously.

Best of luck.
    thanks gray but i already know about the 1RM calculating and taking off 10% and than i use that number to fill out the rest of the chart.
    and yea i wasn't thinking straight. i know u add 10lbs and 5lbs to lower/upper after each cycle. So that was my fault.

i read matt ogus program off Simpley shredded so i know its 5x10. i guess ill just follow what he does. I mean idk what else i need to know about the program...

and ill just swich off skull crushers and rope pull downs. and forget spider curls and preachers than, ill just DB curl every week.