SirLock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any good upper back exercises using the bar?

I have only started to work on my back recently. Not a huge fan because of the over emphasis on form.

Anyways

For the lower back, I am doing deadlifts and goodmornings

For the middle back, I am doing reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows

Still dont know any exercises for the upper back. Suggestions?

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You don't like back bc you have to use good form? Rows, Pullups, shrugs
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943

Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    You don't like back bc you have to use good form? Rows, Pullups, shrugs
    If you dont have good form in back exercises there is a good chance that you can get a injury. Plus I feel that its hard to tell if you are actually benefiting from back workout.

Dont rows and pullups work out lats and doesnt shrugs workout traps?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SirLock View Post
    I have only started to work on my back recently. Not a huge fan because of the over emphasis on form.
    You can't have an overemphasis on form.

Chins, pullups. Weighted, when you can do a sufficient number of bodyweight reps (e.g., maybe 3 sets of 12, say). Personally, I don't think you'd need anything else.*

If you dont have good form in back exercises there is a good chance that you can get a injury.
    True of just about ALL exercise. Seriously.

Plus I feel that its hard to tell if you are actually benefiting from back workout.
    If you're doing it right, lifting heavy, adding weight constantly, and eating to support this? You will be able to tell.

edit: * Personally, I run with standard chinups and wide-grip pullups. YMMV.
    Last edited by MichaelCJ; 03-17-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post

Chins, pullups. Weighted, when you can do a sufficient number of bodyweight reps (e.g., maybe 3 sets of 12, say). Personally, I don't think you'd need anything else.
    Any alternatives to chin and pull ups? I can only do a few pull ups and chin ups are impossible at this point.

Is it possible to do bent over rows which target the upper back region?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Any alternatives to chin and pull ups? I can only do a few pull ups and chin ups are impossible at this point.
    This should tell you that you need some work there. Nothing wrong with that, incidentally - just means you can make really rapid gains for a while. If you can do, what, 3 reps of pullups(?) then maybe try doing sets of 2 for the time being. Set a rep total to aim for (e.g., 36 if you go by what I posted before - whatever, really) and just keep doing those small sets until you reach that rep count, or close enough. Do this frequently, and as it becomes easier, increase the reps per set, and correspondingly decrease the number of sets. You can also split them up - do them after each other exercise, even between sets of other things - whenever, basically.

That's one way to go about it. You could also try assisted pullups for now, doing some negatives, and maybe even some lat pulldowns to build a bit more strength in the area. I know someone who did it that way, and now they're doing weighted chins, so hey.

Is it possible to do bent over rows which target the upper back region?
    Hm. Not that I'm aware of. Rear delt rows are the closest thing, off the top of my head, but their target is... yep, you guessed it. Upper back is a large part of the synergist list, however.

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you dont have good form in back exercises there is a good chance that you can get a injury. Plus I feel that its hard to tell if you are actually benefiting from back workout.

Dont rows and pullups work out lats and doesnt shrugs workout traps?
    And where are these muscles located? Your back. Do as many Pullups as you can until you get better at them. Do negatives and lat pulldowns. Yes rows work your upper back and shrugs as well as your traps rundown your back.

Ps you should always have good form regardless of your exercise
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943

kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevbag has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    you could do reverse flys with dumbells, their pretty good for your upper back
    or just go with overhead squats,back squats and deadlifts, boom but you really do need to watch your form there

but pull ups rock for sure
    strength through length
    mind over matter
    function is perfection

Originally Posted by himynameisjames View Post
    You're seriously a f*cking *******. Cancel your gym membership, delete your BB.com account, buy a dumbbell set and stick to working your chest & biceps 6 days a week.
    eat a dikk and get the fuk out of my thread

Rear Delt Rows is the name of the exercise I was thinking about.

Gonna try and improve on the pull ups also

daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) daniellemac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love doing seated rows, T-bar rows and lat pull downs for upper back! When doing these really concentrate on keeping your shoulders back and down!
    Danielle MacPherson
    Nutrabolics Sponsored Figure Competitor
    www.nutrabolics.com

jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    rows, just bend over less

Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Anyways

For the lower back, I am doing deadlifts and goodmornings

Lay with your chest against an incline bench (45 degrees or so, play around with it till you feel its right) and use a barbell or db's and pull your elbows back and upwards. It will hit the rhomboids and traps to add bulk to where you need it.
    =[][][]=== B I G xxx P O P P A xxx P U M P ===[][][]=

If The Bar Aint Bendin, Your Just Pretendin

TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Based on the information you have provided I can assure you that you are already working your upper back. Keep up the good work.

Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kev0ner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by himynameisjames View Post
    You're seriously a f*cking *******. Cancel your gym membership, delete your BB.com account, buy a dumbbell set and stick to working your chest & biceps 6 days a week.
    take it back to the misc kunt~

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)

Can someone tell me what muscle the middle back is supposed to be? I usually think of rows as upper back exercises. Is upper traps something below the upper traps, yet above the middle traps? lol.

TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSprinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Can someone tell me what muscle the middle back is supposed to be? I usually think of rows as upper back exercises. Is upper traps something below the upper traps, yet above the middle traps? lol.
    I think he's referring to the lats when he says middle back. I could be wrong.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Yeah perhaps, or maybe lower traps?

Anyway Lock has been informed about rear delt rows, so this may be cool.

I don't think he'd be doing rows to target his lower traps.. :/

Why not? They retract the scapula too. In particular if you're trying to pull to the hip and keep the elbows in like with lat movements.

I'm not saying they don't. I'm just saying that that's not going to be the reason he's doing rows.

He said he's doing rows for middle back. Rows are usually chosen to target the lats. Using rows to target the lats makes more sense that using them to target the lower traps.