Muscles by D.O.T. Brother Steel's Avatar
    Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

PowerBlock follow up review.

PowerBlock Pro 130 lb aluminum core dumbbell follow up review.

Hi,
    As promised I am writing this follow up review on the PowerBlock dumbbell set I bought a few months ago.

First off let me say I am still very pleased with my PowerBlocks.
    I love using them. I have not used my standard dumbbells since I got the PowerBlocks.
    I do a lot of my dumbbell exercises in drop sets (see note). These dumbbells are the best things I have seen to do them with. The only thing that can compare to them is a complete set of dumbbells from 10 lbs to 130 lbs in range.

When using the PowerBlocks for drop sets all you have to do is pull the pin out and put it in another notch to change the weight. I am talking about a really fast weight change here. I can change the weight in about 5 seconds.

The PowerBlocks plus the stand takes up very little room which is a big plus in my opinion. Where I would have had to use a lot more space with a full dumbbell set up I can now use that space for other things.

I have found the PowerBlocks to be well balanced at all weight ranges. The handle is a semi-soft texture. This feels very comfortable even with the heaviest weight. The large flat ends are great when you need to rest the weight on top of your leg while in a sitting position between sets.

Now while the PowerBlocks are outstanding as far as dumbbells go they do have some draw backs.

I have found that if I am using weight lifting gloves it makes it harder to get my hand inside the PowerBlocks. I have large hands. Someone with smaller hands should not have this problem but someone with very large hands will find that using weight lifting gloves will be impossible due to the design of the dumbbells. (If you have huge hands you may not be able to get your hand inside the dumbbell even without gloves.) If you are not using lifting gloves then the above problem is a mute point.

There is a noise issue concerning the use of the Pro Aluminum PowerBlocks. There is a clanging of the steel hitting the aluminum core. I must say sometimes the noise bothers me and sometime it does not. If you are lifting the PowerBlocks in a hammer style lift (vertical) you will hear this noise. If you are using them as in a conventional curl style lift (horizontal) you will not notice any noise.

When I say noise, the clanging is very soft. If you have any other noise going on like a radio or TV then you will never notice anything whatsoever. If it is dead quiet in the middle of the night and you are trying to workout then you might wake up someone close by.

I want to say again - the noise I am talking about is pertaining to the use of the Pro ALUMINUM Core. The lexan core is a kind of plastic and metal hitting plastic will not produce this sound.

Now for the BIGGEST DRAW BACK to PowerBlocks. It is of course the PRICE! The PowerBlocks are not cheap. You may be able to buy a full set of hex dumbbells and a rack for what you can invest in the purchase of the Pro 130 Aluminum dumbbell set. Yes they are that expensive.

I wanted them and saved my pennies for them but I am not sure the price is justifiable. (They are expensive toys for very Big Boys!) Now if you look at them as an investment in your health and will not let dust collect on them then they are worth every penny you will spend on them. There is no price you can put on good health and the keeping of your strength as you age.

Here is the old bottom line. Would I buy PowerBlocks again? The answer is an overwhelming YES!

However if you are just starting out or are on a limited budget you can buy all the basic equipment you need to build a strong body for a lot less than what the Pro Aluminum 130 PowerBlocks will cost you!

Well there you have it and I have made good on my promise.

I want to end with this…. It does not matter what you lift be it PowerBlocks or cinderblocks each will build muscle. What matters is that you stay the course and keep on lifting. Remember that every Bodybuilding Champion who ever lived began their career with the first rep and a dream!

May all your dreams come true!
    B. Steel

FYI
    Same as before, I am in no way connected with the PowerBlock Company.

Note:
    For those who do not know what a drop set is, it is the use of a giving poundage of weight (in this case a dumbbell) for one set and then dropping to a lower weight and doing another set. Example: Starting out using a 40 lb dumbbell for one set then going to a 30 lb dumbbell for the next set then on to a 20 lb dumbbell for the third set.

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice review.

I picked up a pair of powerblocks very lightly used for 150 dollars for the 20-60lb set, and has a 5lb handle you can use also, so its from 5-60lbs.

For 150 bucks im happy with what I have.

If I spent a grand or more for the 130lbers, I would be missing about 500 dollars. I think there nice, but there a distant 2nd to a set of hex bells. imho.

There fairly easy to change weight, but not near as fast as grabing another pair of bells.
    And I do not drop them, as I dont think they will last like a hex to abuse.

For space savings, there awesome though.

Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi Pryme,

I am glad you got a great deal. I agree with you there is nothing like having a complete set of fixed style dumbbells. My dream set would be an Ivanko pro style set. I have checked on the price without the shipping a 5 to 100lb set would cost $2822.50 dollars. It would require two pro dumbbell racks that is another $1040 bucks. That would put the price around $3862.50 dollars. I would hate to even guess what the shipping would be on all that. I checked on the price of a full set of Iron Grip dumbbells and went numb when I saw the price went over six grand.

I guess if you look at those prices the PowerBlocks are not so bad in price after all.

Enjoy your PowerBlocks,
    B. Steel

foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foto202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great Follow up Brother Steel
    I purchased my PowerBlocks around the same time you did. I only have up to 90lbs for now. I will probably ask my wife to purchase the add on to 130 for Valentine's Day.
    I have a rack of Hex dumbells from 10-50 in 5 lbs increments and I have not used them since getting the powerblocks.
    The PowerBlocks function as advertised and I do not regret getting them at all. They are defenitely worht the money-even at full retail price.( I ended up getting the 5-45 pro set with the stand for 50 bucks)
    I too would love to have a full set of Pro style dumbbells(who wouldn't) but the cost is something I can't justify.
    For now I am happpy with the PowerBlocks.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i got the 130lbs pro set and love them to bits. i have put rubber caps on my core weigths though so no clanging on mine

Hi Foto202,

I too have Hex dumbbells. My set goes from 1lb (rehab weight) to 30lbs. After 30 pounds I would switch to plates and handles with spinlock collars. I have about 350 pounds of standard plates so making up different size dumbbells was never a problem. The spinlock collars made changing plates easy and fairly fast. I could change the weight on both in less than two minutes. I should add I have the plates on a weight plate tree which makes the changing of the plates very organized. This system worked for me very well for many years.

I have seen a good standard starter weight set at Wal-Mart. It goes up to 110 lbs. It has a short bar (Junk) but it comes with 2 spinlock handles. This would be a great dumbbell set to start out with. Wal-Mart also sells individual plates that match the starter set for when you have to add more weight. Wal-Mart also sells Olympic bars and plates. I would not load a thousand pounds on the bar but it should be able to handle 2 to 3 hundred pounds.

When I was in my 20s I took a 10 inch oak log about 8 feet long and carved (with a chainsaw) handles in it so it could be lifted like a barbell. My friends and I had a lot of fun with it. The weight changed depending on how wet it was.

Thinking back some of the best workouts I ever got was when I helped my Father work timber up for firewood. My Father was a professional timber man in his youth. That was when you used a crosscut saw to fell trees.
    My Dad has this reverence for trees so instead of cutting several small trees for firewood he would select one or two mighty oaks four to five feet through to cut down. This in his words would allow the smaller trees to grow to make more big trees.
    I tell you there is nothing but major grunting involved in trying to roll a huge log with a Cant Hook in each hand working them like a large ratchet. We would then work up the wood with wedges and a sledgehammer.
    No stinking wood splitter for us!

I must confess that most of the muscle I have has been obtained by hard work not by lifting weights hard. However I do plan on keeping the hard-earned muscle I have through proper weight training.

I guess what I am saying is you can build muscle in many ways. But using good equipment beats a splinter in your hand any day.

Take care,
    B. Steel

Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
    i got the 130lbs pro set and love them to bits. i have put rubber caps on my core weigths though so no clanging on mine
    Hi Tetsuo,

Rubber Caps? Could you please go into more detail about them.

Thank you,
    B. Steel

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great review BS !!! Repped !

To any newbies who read about the dropsets BS posted about ..Dropsets are done without any rests in between sets.

Blue

Originally Posted by Brother Steel View Post
    PowerBlock Pro 130 lb aluminum core dumbbell follow up review.

Hi,
    As promised I am writing this follow up review on the PowerBlock dumbbell set I bought a few months ago.

First off let me say I am still very pleased with my PowerBlocks.
    I love using them. I have not used my standard dumbbells since I got the PowerBlocks.
    I do a lot of my dumbbell exercises in drop sets (see note). These dumbbells are the best things I have seen to do them with. The only thing that can compare to them is a complete set of dumbbells from 10 lbs to 130 lbs in range.

When using the PowerBlocks for drop sets all you have to do is pull the pin out and put it in another notch to change the weight. I am talking about a really fast weight change here. I can change the weight in about 5 seconds.

The PowerBlocks plus the stand takes up very little room which is a big plus in my opinion. Where I would have had to use a lot more space with a full dumbbell set up I can now use that space for other things.

I have found the PowerBlocks to be well balanced at all weight ranges. The handle is a semi-soft texture. This feels very comfortable even with the heaviest weight. The large flat ends are great when you need to rest the weight on top of your leg while in a sitting position between sets.

Now while the PowerBlocks are outstanding as far as dumbbells go they do have some draw backs.

I have found that if I am using weight lifting gloves it makes it harder to get my hand inside the PowerBlocks. I have large hands. Someone with smaller hands should not have this problem but someone with very large hands will find that using weight lifting gloves will be impossible due to the design of the dumbbells. (If you have huge hands you may not be able to get your hand inside the dumbbell even without gloves.) If you are not using lifting gloves then the above problem is a mute point.

There is a noise issue concerning the use of the Pro Aluminum PowerBlocks. There is a clanging of the steel hitting the aluminum core. I must say sometimes the noise bothers me and sometime it does not. If you are lifting the PowerBlocks in a hammer style lift (vertical) you will hear this noise. If you are using them as in a conventional curl style lift (horizontal) you will not notice any noise.

When I say noise, the clanging is very soft. If you have any other noise going on like a radio or TV then you will never notice anything whatsoever. If it is dead quiet in the middle of the night and you are trying to workout then you might wake up someone close by.

I want to say again - the noise I am talking about is pertaining to the use of the Pro ALUMINUM Core. The lexan core is a kind of plastic and metal hitting plastic will not produce this sound.

Now for the BIGGEST DRAW BACK to PowerBlocks. It is of course the PRICE! The PowerBlocks are not cheap. You may be able to buy a full set of hex dumbbells and a rack for what you can invest in the purchase of the Pro 130 Aluminum dumbbell set. Yes they are that expensive.

I wanted them and saved my pennies for them but I am not sure the price is justifiable. (They are expensive toys for very Big Boys!) Now if you look at them as an investment in your health and will not let dust collect on them then they are worth every penny you will spend on them. There is no price you can put on good health and the keeping of your strength as you age.

Here is the old bottom line. Would I buy PowerBlocks again? The answer is an overwhelming YES!

However if you are just starting out or are on a limited budget you can buy all the basic equipment you need to build a strong body for a lot less than what the Pro Aluminum 130 PowerBlocks will cost you!

Well there you have it and I have made good on my promise.

I want to end with this…. It does not matter what you lift be it PowerBlocks or cinderblocks each will build muscle. What matters is that you stay the course and keep on lifting. Remember that every Bodybuilding Champion who ever lived began their career with the first rep and a dream!

May all your dreams come true!
    B. Steel

FYI
    Same as before, I am in no way connected with the PowerBlock Company.

Note:
    For those who do not know what a drop set is, it is the use of a giving poundage of weight (in this case a dumbbell) for one set and then dropping to a lower weight and doing another set. Example: Starting out using a 40 lb dumbbell for one set then going to a 30 lb dumbbell for the next set then on to a 20 lb dumbbell for the third set.

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I must have repped u before as I must spread some around..I'll get you again.

Takecare and thanks again for coming back and posting a wonderful review

Blue

puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also own a set of powerblocks (5-90lb elite set) and they are the best piece of fitness equipment I own. For adjustable dumbbells there isn't a better choice when it comes to convienence and ease of weight changes.

However, I don't understand why everyone assumes powerblocks are SO expensive. This just doesn't make sense to me. Compared to what? Ok, if you're dumbbells are a piece of timber, then yes these are more expensive. You can also go the cheaper route with spinlocks, but for pure dumbbells, there isn't a better price per pound than powerblocks. Assuming you paid full retail for the 5-90lb set ($588 for 1,710 lbs at 5lb increments) that's a mere $0.34 cents a pound! Jesup, which seems to have the cheapest price per pound Hex dumbbells is currently asking $0.39 cents per pound (which is an outstanding price). The same set-up from Jesup would cost you $667 plus a stand and a hell of a lot more room needed to store 36 dumbbells.

Just my two cents...

Originally Posted by Bluerain View Post
    Great review BS !!! Repped !

To any newbies who read about the dropsets BS posted about ..Dropsets are done without any rests in between sets.

Blue

Hi Blue,

Thank you for adding that and thanks for the reps!

When I do drop sets there is no rest time other than the time it takes to change the weight.

I do all my dumbbell exercises in drop sets. I also do all my cable exercises (pin type weight stack) in this manner. I find the pump to be greater when using drop sets and it cuts down on your workout time as well. All bar type exercises I do in the traditional fashion with a rest period between sets.

As I have gotten older I have found I no longer have the unlimited stamina I did in my 20s to 30s. In a prolonged full body workout I give out before I can reach the desired intensity level I want. By doing an upper body / lower body split routine combined with drop sets it keeps me at the top level in intensity while cutting the workout time down to about half.

Anyone who has not tried drop sets should give it a try. It might be the thing to shake up your training and promote new muscle growth.

Again Blue thanks for the reps and kind words. Reps are good but kind words warm the heart!

Glad you enjoyed my review,
    B. Steel

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi Tetsuo,

Rubber Caps? Could you please go into more detail about them.

Thank you,
    B. Steel

i just cut some small disks of rubber, with a smaller circumference than the core weights (smaller so they don't grip the side of the chamber when you insert them) and stuck them on each end of the 2.5 core weights.

DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Been looking at the Selecttech 552s but always felt they weighed too little.
    Just saw that they released a 1090 version...10lbs to 90lbs which is about the top poundage for DB usage for the majority of us. I've priced 17 pairs of rubber coated hex DBs for about 40 % more money.

Look better than the Powerblocks and seem more comfortable.
    "The government today announced that it is changing its emblem from an Eagle to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's political stance. A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed. "

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why do they seem more comfortable?

I've seen the 552's before, they looked plasticky and cheap.

jaws824 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just purchased the Powerblock Elite 130lb with stand last month for $970 and I must say they are one of the best purchases I have ever made. I also have the Ironmaster quicklock dumbbells and hex rubbber coated dumbbells from 2.5-40lbs. I am trying to sell my Ironmasters because I hate changing the plates and I hate the fact that Ironmaster lies about the weight of their product. Simply put the Powerblocks are a much better product than the Ironmasters. The Weigh of the Powerblocks is right on while the Ironmasters are lighter than they advertise. Also the Powerblocks are made of machined steel where as the Ironmasters are cast iron plates, only the handles are steel. The Powerblocks have extremely high quality control and are American Made, compared to the Ironmasters that just look like they were made by the lowest bidder in Taiwan with poor quality control. Overall the Powerblocks are worth every penny of the extra $300 I paid for them over the Ironmasters. I can't believe people complain about the price of Powerblocks but not about the Ironmasters. Especially when you consider the fact that the powerblocks weight 130lb each where as the Ironmaster only weigh between 110-115lb even though they lie to you and tell you they weigh 120lb. So you’re really getting an extra 15-20lb per dumbbell with the powerblocks you don't get with the Ironmasters.

danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jaws824 View Post
    I just purchased the Powerblock Elite 130lb with stand last month for $970 and I must say they are one of the best purchases I have ever made. I also have the Ironmaster quicklock dumbbells and hex rubbber coated dumbbells from 2.5-40lbs. I am trying to sell my Ironmasters because I hate changing the plates and I hate the fact that Ironmaster lies about the weight of their product. Simply put the Powerblocks are a much better product than the Ironmasters. The Weigh of the Powerblocks is right on while the Ironmasters are lighter than they advertise. Also the Powerblocks are made of machined steel where as the Ironmasters are cast iron plates, only the handles are steel. The Powerblocks have extremely high quality control and are American Made, compared to the Ironmasters that just look like they were made by the lowest bidder in Taiwan with poor quality control. Overall the Powerblocks are worth every penny of the extra $300 I paid for them over the Ironmasters. I can't believe people complain about the price of Powerblocks but not about the Ironmasters. Especially when you consider the fact that the powerblocks weight 130lb each where as the Ironmaster only weigh between 110-115lb even though they lie to you and tell you they weigh 120lb. So you’re really getting an extra 15-20lb per dumbbell with the powerblocks you don't get with the Ironmasters.
    wow.. thats a little harsh. *wonders if someone got a discount on his Powerblocks via this post*

DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by C Man View Post
    Why do they seem more comfortable?

I've seen the 552's before, they looked plasticky and cheap.
    They are more comfortable based on where your hand goes,like regular dumbells,nothing touching any part of your arm or hand.
    Powerblocks your hand goes inside and is surrounded by the structure and have something putting pressure on your arm.

The 552s were not heavy enough but the 1090s are perfect.
    Plus they're all black. ...even nicer and less plastic looking if that bothers you.

D.

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/bst...+Dumbbells.jsp
    Last edited by DanielX; 02-13-2007 at 03:47 PM.
    "The government today announced that it is changing its emblem from an Eagle to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's political stance. A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed. "

jaws824 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by danny_1970 View Post
    wow.. thats a little harsh. *wonders if someone got a discount on his Powerblocks via this post*
    What's harsh about calling false advertising the lie that it is. I bought my powerblocks through a local dealer (G&G fitness) and I think I got a little discount but not much. I paid $1030 total, $970 plus tax for the 130lb Elite Rexan Handle with grey stand.

Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
    i just cut some small disks of rubber, with a smaller circumference than the core weights (smaller so they don't grip the side of the chamber when you insert them) and stuck them on each end of the 2.5 core weights.
    Hi Tetsuo,

Thank you for the reply. That is a great idea!

Have a great day,
    B. Steel

Originally Posted by puma76 View Post
    I also own a set of powerblocks (5-90lb elite set) and they are the best piece of fitness equipment I own. For adjustable dumbbells there isn't a better choice when it comes to convienence and ease of weight changes.

However, I don't understand why everyone assumes powerblocks are SO expensive. This just doesn't make sense to me. Compared to what? Ok, if you're dumbbells are a piece of timber, then yes these are more expensive. You can also go the cheaper route with spinlocks, but for pure dumbbells, there isn't a better price per pound than powerblocks. Assuming you paid full retail for the 5-90lb set ($588 for 1,710 lbs at 5lb increments) that's a mere $0.34 cents a pound! Jesup, which seems to have the cheapest price per pound Hex dumbbells is currently asking $0.39 cents per pound (which is an outstanding price). The same set-up from Jesup would cost you $667 plus a stand and a hell of a lot more room needed to store 36 dumbbells.

Just my two cents...

Hey Puma,

Just who do you think you are?
    YOU CROSSED THE LINE when you made fun of Timber dumbbells.

You don’t have a clue so far as the cost of Timber dumbbells versus the cost of PowerBlocks. Timber dumbbells are the most costly dumbbells in the world!
    I can prove it…….
    Gas…..$2.20 a gallon
    Oil….$1.20 for 6 oz
    Logging Hard hat…. $35.00 dollars
    Chainsaw chaps…..$150.00 dollars
    Chainsaw Professional model ……$1,200.00 dollars.
    One acre land with hard wood trees on it ……at least…..$5000.00 dollars.
    One 4X4 pickup to haul wood on……. $38,000.00 dollars.
    That brings your total to……$44,388.40 dollars a set or $22,194.20 dollars per dumbbell!
    The cost of being the only one on your block to have a pair……….Priceless!

Puts a whole new perspective on the cost of PowerBlocks don’t it? Ha Ha!
    Catch Ya Laterrrrrrrr……
    B.Steel
    Last edited by Brother Steel; 02-14-2007 at 10:17 PM.

puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) puma76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Hey Puma,

Just who do you think you are?
    YOU CROSSED THE LINE when you made fun of Timber dumbbells.

You don?t have a clue so far as the cost of Timber dumbbells versus the cost of PowerBlocks. Timber dumbbells are the most costly dumbbells in the world!
    I can prove it??.
    Gas?..$2.20 a gallon
    Oil?.$1.20 for 6 oz
    Logging Hard hat?. $35.00 dollars
    Chainsaw chaps?..$150.00 dollars
    Chainsaw Professional model ??$1,200.00 dollars.
    One acre land with hard wood trees on it ??at least?..$5000.00 dollars.
    One 4X4 pickup to haul wood on??. $38,000.00 dollars.
    That brings your total to??$44,388.40 dollars a set or $22,194.20 dollars per dumbbell!
    The cost of being the only one on your block to have a pair???.Priceless!

Puts a whole new perspective on the cost of PowerBlocks don?t it? Ha Ha!
    Catch Ya Laterrrrrrrr??
    B.Steel

I see, nice argument in favor of timber, however, Powerblocks are still more expensive. See how....

$588 dollars to purchase the Powerblocks
    $40,000 for the education I received to get a job to afford the Powerblocks
    $20,000 for the car to transport the Powerblocks back home
    $10 in gas money for the ride
    $40 for the pair of shoes I wore to the store to purchase them
    $250 for the rest of my wardrobe (pants, underwear, sweater, coat etc.), chaps just don't look good on me
    $200 for a quality bench

For a grand total of $61,088 for the set or $30,544 for each dumbbell.

Ha! Now that's a costly dumbbell. Oh, and BTW, I did enjoy your piece on timber dumbbells...there's lots of great ways to work out, but like you said, nothing beats good, old fashioned hardwork!
    Last edited by puma76; 02-15-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Originally Posted by puma76 View Post
    I see, nice argument in favor of timber, however, Powerblocks are still more expensive. See how....

$588 dollars to purchase the Powerblocks
    $40,000 for the education I received to get a job to afford the Powerblocks
    $20,000 for the car to transport the Powerblocks back home
    $10 in gas money for the ride
    $40 for the pair of shoes I wore to the store to purchase them
    $250 for the rest of my wardrobe (pants, underwear, sweater, coat etc.), chaps just don't look good on me
    $200 for a quality bench

For a grand total of $61,088 for the set or $30,544 for each dumbbell.

Ha! Now that's a costly dumbbell. Oh, and BTW, I did enjoy your piece on timber dumbbells...there's lots of great ways to work out, but like you said, nothing beats good, old fashioned hardwork!
    Puma,

Great Reply! I loved It!

Thanks for the chuckle,
    B Steel