Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: advice/help

  1. #1
    Registered User notartea's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    notartea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    notartea is offline

    advice/help

    So I had a baby a year ago and since then have been having problems trying to lose 30 pounds. I have no problem working out. The only problem I have is my cravings in the evenings. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to keep this under control? This is the main problem preventing me from reaching my goals. I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm a full time student and mom so I dont have the time to workout like I used to. Maybe an hour max 3 days during the week and on sat and some sundays on weekends. I do cardio for 45mins to an hour and weights on the weekends. I've cut my calories by 500 and even started eating clean but like I said my evening cravings get the best of me. How can I go a whole week eating healthy? I know its a mind thing but I just cant seem to keep my mind on my goals and its getting frustrating.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User futurefitmama's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'3", 119 lbs
    Posts: 34
    Rep Power: 0
    futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000) futurefitmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit futurefitmama's BodySpace
    futurefitmama is offline
    Are you sure you are eating enough during the day? Every 3 hours. I use to have the same problem and then started eating a tbsp of natural peanut butter right before my cravings always started. Turns out it worked.
    Originally Posted by notartea View Post
    So I had a baby a year ago and since then have been having problems trying to lose 30 pounds. I have no problem working out. The only problem I have is my cravings in the evenings. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to keep this under control? This is the main problem preventing me from reaching my goals. I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm a full time student and mom so I dont have the time to workout like I used to. Maybe an hour max 3 days during the week and on sat and some sundays on weekends. I do cardio for 45mins to an hour and weights on the weekends. I've cut my calories by 500 and even started eating clean but like I said my evening cravings get the best of me. How can I go a whole week eating healthy? I know its a mind thing but I just cant seem to keep my mind on my goals and its getting frustrating.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User notartea's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    notartea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    notartea is offline
    I try to eat every 2 to 3 hours but days I have clinicals in the hospital I barely get to sit down n eat lunch. But thnx for your advice I will try that and see if it works.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User lives2bfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Age: 42
    Stats: 5'3", 136 lbs
    Posts: 88
    Rep Power: 5
    lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit lives2bfit's BodySpace
    lives2bfit is offline
    Something that may help with the night time stuff is to eat an apple first. This helps me cut down on the sweets I am tempted to eat at night.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Escape Artist ClassickQC's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: Brossard, Qc, Canada
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'2", 130 lbs
    Posts: 259
    Rep Power: 1328
    ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ClassickQC's BodySpace
    ClassickQC is offline
    Originally Posted by notartea View Post
    So I had a baby a year ago and since then have been having problems trying to lose 30 pounds. I have no problem working out. The only problem I have is my cravings in the evenings. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to keep this under control? This is the main problem preventing me from reaching my goals. I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm a full time student and mom so I dont have the time to workout like I used to. Maybe an hour max 3 days during the week and on sat and some sundays on weekends. I do cardio for 45mins to an hour and weights on the weekends. I've cut my calories by 500 and even started eating clean but like I said my evening cravings get the best of me. How can I go a whole week eating healthy? I know its a mind thing but I just cant seem to keep my mind on my goals and its getting frustrating.
    Why not just work some treats into your calories a couple of times a week, even daily if you feel the need to?
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User notartea's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    notartea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    notartea is offline
    Originally Posted by lives2bfit View Post
    Something that may help with the night time stuff is to eat an apple first. This helps me cut down on the sweets I am tempted to eat at night.
    Thanks I will try that
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User notartea's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    notartea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    notartea is offline
    Originally Posted by ClassickQC View Post
    Why not just work some treats into your calories a couple of times a week, even daily if you feel the need to?
    Yeah I've tried that it dosent seem to work for me. I have a problem with chocolate and the moment I try a taste I want more. Maybe that comes from my bad eating habits when I used to be obese. I somehow managed to overcome that and lose almost 100 pounds but now after having a baby I find it difficutl to overcome. Its either all or nothing. I usually plan my cheat days. But thanks for the advice
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User jbut66's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Location: Connecticut, United States
    Age: 48
    Stats: 5'6", 128 lbs
    Posts: 37
    Rep Power: 0
    jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jbut66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit jbut66's BodySpace
    jbut66 is offline
    Night time snacking is a very common problem for lots of women. Assuming you are eating healthy filling foods during the day and not letting yourself get too hungry, then the issue is likely more emotional than true hunger. Night time is danger zone for me as well. I am often tired, stressed or frustrated from the day and the opportunity is right there in the kitchen!

    There are lots of things you can do to both distract yourself and manage your stress in a more productive way - go for a walk, take a hot bath, call a friend or relative, write in a journal, or come on this or another site for support! Sparkpeople.com has a very active and supportive forum for issues like this.

    Also, find a few desserts that satisfy your sweet tooth but are healthy that you can allow yourself to have - things like sugar free jello with berries and fat free whipped cream, plain oatmeal or cream of wheat with cinnamon and splenda, a "mock" apple crisp in the microwave (basically cut up apple tossed in cinnamon and stevia, with a tablespoon of oats, some craisins and chopped pecans - nuke for 3-4 minutes) - then after that I often have some nice herbal tea. The tea relaxes me and has become my "signal" that I am done eating for the day.

    I lost 30 pounds after having my daughter so I understand th challenge! Good luck!!

    Oh - you also might want to change up your exercise. I found circuit training to be the most effective for weight loss. It combines resistance training with an aerobic component. It gives you a great bang for your calorie burning buck and is fun and challenging. All you need are a few sets of dumbells. There are some good DVD's out there now that you can do at home
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User notartea's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    notartea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    notartea is offline
    Originally Posted by jbut66 View Post
    Night time snacking is a very common problem for lots of women. Assuming you are eating healthy filling foods during the day and not letting yourself get too hungry, then the issue is likely more emotional than true hunger. Night time is danger zone for me as well. I am often tired, stressed or frustrated from the day and the opportunity is right there in the kitchen!

    There are lots of things you can do to both distract yourself and manage your stress in a more productive way - go for a walk, take a hot bath, call a friend or relative, write in a journal, or come on this or another site for support! Sparkpeople.com has a very active and supportive forum for issues like this.

    Also, find a few desserts that satisfy your sweet tooth but are healthy that you can allow yourself to have - things like sugar free jello with berries and fat free whipped cream, plain oatmeal or cream of wheat with cinnamon and splenda, a "mock" apple crisp in the microwave (basically cut up apple tossed in cinnamon and stevia, with a tablespoon of oats, some craisins and chopped pecans - nuke for 3-4 minutes) - then after that I often have some nice herbal tea. The tea relaxes me and has become my "signal" that I am done eating for the day.

    I lost 30 pounds after having my daughter so I understand th challenge! Good luck!!

    Oh - you also might want to change up your exercise. I found circuit training to be the most effective for weight loss. It combines resistance training with an aerobic component. It gives you a great bang for your calorie burning buck and is fun and challenging. All you need are a few sets of dumbells. There are some good DVD's out there now that you can do at home
    Thnx for the advice. I guess being a fulltime mom and student does put a lot of stress on me. I have been feeling overwhelmed since going back to school. Guess I never realized that could be a reason for my cravings. And yes I was just thinking of changing up my workout routine.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User lives2bfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Age: 42
    Stats: 5'3", 136 lbs
    Posts: 88
    Rep Power: 5
    lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000) lives2bfit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit lives2bfit's BodySpace
    lives2bfit is offline
    I feel like I "have" to have something sweet every day and it needs to be chocolate too. Don't know if I could ever go a whole week or even more than one day w/out it. So again, I think if you try a piece of fruit first, it will help with that craving and cut down on the empty calories.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Escape Artist ClassickQC's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: Brossard, Qc, Canada
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'2", 130 lbs
    Posts: 259
    Rep Power: 1328
    ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ClassickQC has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ClassickQC's BodySpace
    ClassickQC is offline
    Also, about the eating every 2-3 hours thing... This might not be helping at all. I remember when I used to do that my cravings were pretty bad. It took me long enough to realize that eating multiple meals a day isn't doing anything better than eating 2-3 big meals a day instead.

    I now eat 2 meals a day, never hungry and I don't remember the last time I had a craving. I eat treats almost every day and they are worked out in my calories. It is also about self control. I know I can have that piece of cake, but not another one, and I stick to that.

    Also, if you wish to stick to the small meals a day thing, maybe try and drink a glass of water when you have those cravings? Some people do this and it might help.
    Last edited by ClassickQC; 03-15-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User notartea's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    notartea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    notartea is offline
    Thank u guys so much for the advice. I was beginning to give up but now I'm going to continue doing what I do and also incorporate the advice u guys have given me. I think I set myself up for failure when I restrict what I love most.. Chocolate lol. But ok I just need to learn self control.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout