quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Going back to where I used to be... Newbie here... Hit a wall.

Well, here is a little bit about me. I'm 26 years old, 6'2", 256lbs. 6 years ago I had a more active job and had a solid weight of 220lbs. I worked out 5 days a week for an hour a day. The changes since then? I've gotten married, and the biggest physical change is I went from working IN the shop to working IN the office. I spend 95% of my day in front of the computer and/or on the phone for 50-55 hours a week. My diet? That didn't change. In January of this year I peaked at 278lbs. In the beginning of February I decided I needed a change, I wasn't healthy, I wasn't happy, I hated the way I looked, hated what I had become.

I signed back up at the gym, and started cutting out crap from my diet. In the first month I have lost 22lbs. I've been at the gym 4-6 days a week for anywhere for ~45 minutes to an hour each time. My workout routine consists of:

Hanging Leg Raises... 5 reps, 5 sets. 30 seconds rest.
    Bicep Curls..... 3 reps of 12. 30 seconds rest between.
    Cable Crossover Ladder.... 3 sets.... 30 seconds rest
    Tricep Cable Pulldown..... 3 sets of 12... 30 seconds rest
    Incline Crunches (sometimes weighted).... 3 sets of 12...30 seconds rest
    Seated Row.... 3 sets of 10.... 30 sec rest.
    Dumbell Lateral Raise.... 3 sets of 10... 30 seconds rest...
    Leg Press..... 3 sets of 10...
    Jump Rope/Rope Skip....Until failure

My diet as of late has been less than 2000 calories per day. I typically have my protein shake upon waking up.

Mid-Morning snack is usually a handful of almonds or walnuts.

Lunch is usually a green leafy salad with cheese, a small amount of dressing, and meat of some sort. If I am in a pinch I get a burger from wendy's with no bun, no mayo, no ketchup.

Afternoon Snack is almost always the same as mid morning. Either that or I have a quality string cheese. Or some deli meat turkey.

Dinner has been home made Chicken Curry (DELICIOUS!) or grilled chicken seasoned with chipotle peppers, eggs and turkey sausage, grilled cheeseburger with no bun, or an omlet..... Sometimes I have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese as well to try to keep my metabolism going before bed.

This past week I hit a wall. I haven't been able to get past 25lbs of loss. I have been working as hard or harder than ever in the gym trying to get past it. I've tried cutting back on calories even. Nothing. I have been drinking nothing but water and sometimes if I get bored of plain water I throw in some of that Mio water enhancer stuff. I get 8 hours of sleep at night and have been trying to be as active as possible.

I've entered myself in a weight loss competition at well at my gym. I am very competitive and will do anything within the rules to win. It has been helping motivate me from going to QDoba/Pancheros/Chipotle and destroying burritos..... lmfao.

I've already cut down from 40" pants back to between a 36"-38" pant. 38" pants are big, 36" is a bit too snug.

Anyways, this is my intro thread, and me looking for any tips to continue improving where I am headed. My goal by the end of April is another 25-30lbs. A lofty goal indeed, but I hope to accomplish it.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Have you read this?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

Twice?

Three times?
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Czyc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you sure that you are counting your intake calories properly? 2000 calories at your size should provide enough deficit to lose fat. You probably don't want to go much below 2000 calories a day at 256 lbs but maybe cut back to 1800 for a week if you can and see if that makes a difference. Also are you getting 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body mass every day?

I was in a really similar position to you in that I used to work construction, actively getting some exercise 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and I'm now working at a desk job. I find that I have more energy after work to go the gym and I'm less hungry during the day.. but that lack of movement during the day really gets to you.

quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quick86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ejthomp
    Have you read this?

Twice?

Three times?
    Yes, I've read through that, and seen that information before. I'm looking for critiquing of my routine and diet to make sure there is nothing I should be changing.

Originally Posted by Czyc
    Are you sure that you are counting your intake calories properly? 2000 calories at your size should provide enough deficit to lose fat. You probably don't want to go much below 2000 calories a day at 256 lbs but maybe cut back to 1800 for a week if you can and see if that makes a difference. Also are you getting 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body mass every day?

I was in a really similar position to you in that I used to work construction, actively getting some exercise 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and I'm now working at a desk job. I find that I have more energy after work to go the gym and I'm less hungry during the day.. but that lack of movement during the day really gets to you.
    Yeah, I am almost positive I am counting my calories correct.

I have 200-300 calories worth of nuts per day. My Dymatize protein shake has 125 calories in it. My lunch has been ~600-700 calories depending on what I get for meat to go with my salad. My dinner has been mostly protein because I eat dinner after the gym and 600-700 calories depending on what I have.

I've had some people telling me that I should probably intake more calories because my body is probably thinking it isn't getting enough calories in the day and is putting itself in to a starvation mode per say. This is something I know nothing about. The amount of protein I eat I think could be more. I haven't been calculating my total protein intake. Today I've had 70 grams of protein so far.

And +1 to both of you for the responses.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by quick86 View Post

Yes, I've read through that, and seen that information before.

Yeah, I am almost positive I am counting my calories correct.

I've had some people telling me that I should probably intake more calories because my body is probably thinking it isn't getting enough calories in the day and is putting itself in to a starvation mode per say.

The amount of protein I eat I think could be more. I haven't been calculating my total protein intake.
    Your questions indicate that you haven't really read the stickies...... just saying

Starvation mode? Really? You're 256 pounds...after you've lost 125 pounds, come back and ask that nonsense again. You'll notice starvation mode isn't mentioned in the stickies.... because it doesn't exist for us fatties... Whoever those "some people" are, I'd suggest you ignore them as they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

You haven't been calculating your protein intake? Have you read the stickies? You must eat your protein...winging it isn't the answer.

If your goal is to win some stupid contest...then ignore all of this... Stop eating..drink water..for the win.

If you actually want to improve yourself long term, I'd suggest more studying in those stickies... nutrition...solid diet...good weight training...= long term success.

Good Luck.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    Your questions indicate that you haven't really read the stickies...... just saying

Starvation mode? Really? You're 256 pounds...after you've lost 125 pounds, come back and ask that nonsense again. You'll notice starvation mode isn't mentioned in the stickies.... because it doesn't exist for us fatties... Whoever those "some people" are, I'd suggest you ignore them as they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

You haven't been calculating your protein intake? Have you read the stickies? You must eat your protein...winging it isn't the answer.

If your goal is to win some stupid contest...then ignore all of this... Stop eating..drink water..for the win.

If you actually want to improve yourself long term, I'd suggest more studying in those stickies... nutrition...solid diet...good weight training...= long term success.

Good Luck.

My goal is not "win some stupid contest" - I signed up for it probably 3 weeks after I started my return to where I was. I saw it as more motivation because of my competitive streak. Maybe you missed the fact that I had a single post when I made my initial post and started this thread. You act as though I have read the stickies WEEKS ago when in fact, I have not. You're talking to a guy who deals with cars and knows the insides and outsides of automobiles - not the functions and abilities of the human body and digestive system in regards to losing fat. I made this thread looking for help. The recommendation for me to take in more calories and keep my metabolism going came from a coworker whose wife is a physical trainer, but that's why I said I wasn't sure how much stock to put in to it.

Here is my goal - I want to get back to where I was. I want that ability to have the same stamina I used too when working outside, the energy and strength. I want to be healthier when my wife and I have kids. I want to get my heart rate back to where it was.

So please, do not act like I know everything or am not willing to learn, I am answering all questions asked of me to assess my current situation honestly. Instead of acting like you've been telling me this for weeks instead of once, why not just point me in the direction of information that would be more helpful? I have done a search for "newb" and "newbie" to try and come up with as many threads/stickies as I could - but overlooked the "noob" variation. So I thank you for directing me too that thread but am not impressed with your method of delivery.

Not trying to come off like a dick....but you're kind of overlooking what I've said.

LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you have lost 22 lbs in a month, I would say you are doing pretty good. Fat Loss isn't linear. You may stick somewhere for several weeks and then begin to drop off again.

How long has it been since you have dropped weight?
    Is it possible that Sodium is masking some scale weight loss?

Honestly I would stick with what you're doing. 22 lbs in a month is good progress

Also, my advice would be to scrap you're current weight training routine...COMPLETELY. You need to be using barbells, and dumbbells, mostly doing compound movements and increasing the weight and or the reps each week.

But all in all you've dropped 22 lbs and your waist has slimmed considerably. You can either be patient and not freak out and accept that it's a long journey... or you can give up. Your choice.

SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SofaKingWhat27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    22lbs in a month is alot man.

I was in your exact weight range when I started my change and I too have lost around 20lbs since then. However in the last week or 2 the weight drop has tapered off to about 1 or 2 lbs here or there.

Your diet sounds good, it really wouldn't hurt to probably drop the calorie count a little lower for a bigger deficit. You're also creating muscle with your workouts so that could be impacting what you see on the scale as far as loss.

Maybe for the competition you cut back a little on the weights and do more cardio? Not an expert but food for thought

Originally Posted by quick86 View Post
    My goal is not "win some stupid contest" - I signed up for it probably 3 weeks after I started my return to where I was. I saw it as more motivation because of my competitive streak. Maybe you missed the fact that I had a single post when I made my initial post and started this thread. You act as though I have read the stickies WEEKS ago when in fact, I have not. You're talking to a guy who deals with cars and knows the insides and outsides of automobiles - not the functions and abilities of the human body and digestive system in regards to losing fat. I made this thread looking for help. The recommendation for me to take in more calories and keep my metabolism going came from a coworker whose wife is a physical trainer, but that's why I said I wasn't sure how much stock to put in to it.

Here is my goal - I want to get back to where I was. I want that ability to have the same stamina I used too when working outside, the energy and strength. I want to be healthier when my wife and I have kids. I want to get my heart rate back to where it was.

So please, do not act like I know everything or am not willing to learn, I am answering all questions asked of me to assess my current situation honestly. Instead of acting like you've been telling me this for weeks instead of once, why not just point me in the direction of information that would be more helpful? I have done a search for "newb" and "newbie" to try and come up with as many threads/stickies as I could - but overlooked the "noob" variation. So I thank you for directing me too that thread but am not impressed with your method of delivery.

Not trying to come off like a dick....but you're kind of overlooking what I've said.
    Well said! Repped. This is what I was looking for. Your real motivation to change.... That's what it takes. Let's just start with a couple of simple absolutes:

1. You've lost 22 pounds in a month. We recommend 1-2 pounds per week... 10 pounds per month. The goal isn't starvation and quick weight loss. The goal is a change of lifestyle that is sustainable.....for the rest of your life. Starvation diets are easy....don't eat. drink water. You don't need any help with that.

2. Until you've gone 3 full WEEKS with no measurable weight loss, you haven't stalled. You can't expect weight loss to be linear or dramatic. This isn't a television show where you're doing some crazy things 24/7 to win a game. You need to live your life and lose weight slowly....slowly.

3. Your goal of another 25-30 pounds by the end of April needs to be thrown out. Either that or you're not here for the right reason and you'd be better off going somewhere else where magic is offered. A sensible, achievable goal would be 240-245....

What say you? Can you start over and do it right, recognizing that it is going to take a long time, but the results will be sustainable and you will be able to live your life as a healthy 200 pound man? If so, you need to begin by outlining a better diet plan.... 2000-2200 cals...200 grams protein...75 g fat....etc.... Tell us what you are going to eat everyday to meet those targets.

LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LighthorseLee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What He said

and CHANGE YOUR WORKOUT!!!!!

Originally Posted by LighthorseLee View Post
    If you have lost 22 lbs in a month, I would say you are doing pretty good. Fat Loss isn't linear. You may stick somewhere for several weeks and then begin to drop off again.

How long has it been since you have dropped weight?
    Is it possible that Sodium is masking some scale weight loss?

Honestly I would stick with what you're doing. 22 lbs in a month is good progress

Also, my advice would be to scrap you're current weight training routine...COMPLETELY. You need to be using barbells, and dumbbells, mostly doing compound movements and increasing the weight and or the reps each week.

But all in all you've dropped 22 lbs and your waist has slimmed considerably. You can either be patient and not freak out and accept that it's a long journey... or you can give up. Your choice.
    Any suggestions for things to add or change to my routine? The one thing I am limited by in regards to barbells and dumbbells is...lack of barbells at my gym. I live in an area with literally 2 gyms. One has more treadmills and cardio machines than anything, and no free weights. The other is where I go which is Snap Fitness...but we only have 1 barbell, and it's ALWAYS in use and has people waiting for it. That's why I have said screw waiting and sticking with the machines in that regard. For dumbbells I have been doing the lateral raise and I also forgot I have been doing shoulder shrugs with dumbbells as well.

Last night I thought I'd try to add something --- the kettlebell. Our gym does have a selection of those and I found I do quite enjoy using them.

My last weight drop was a week and a half. In the back of my mind I was telling myself that it probably has to do with the increase in muscle offsetting some of the fat loss on the scale? I've been trying to cut my sodium intake down as much as possible. I used to intake WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much sodium and carbs. I was drinking Cokes and eating mexican food like CRAZY.

Thanks.

Well said! Repped. This is what I was looking for. Your real motivation to change.... That's what it takes. Let's just start with a couple of simple absolutes:

1. You've lost 22 pounds in a month. We recommend 1-2 pounds per week... 10 pounds per month. The goal isn't starvation and quick weight loss. The goal is a change of lifestyle that is sustainable.....for the rest of your life. Starvation diets are easy....don't eat. drink water. You don't need any help with that.

2. Until you've gone 3 full WEEKS with no measurable weight loss, you haven't stalled. You can't expect weight loss to be linear or dramatic. This isn't a television show where you're doing some crazy things 24/7 to win a game. You need to live your life and lose weight slowly....slowly.

3. Your goal of another 25-30 pounds by the end of April needs to be thrown out. Either that or you're not here for the right reason and you'd be better off going somewhere else where magic is offered. A sensible, achievable goal would be 240-245....

What say you? Can you start over and do it right, recognizing that it is going to take a long time, but the results will be sustainable and you will be able to live your life as a healthy 200 pound man? If so, you need to begin by outlining a better diet plan.... 2000-2200 cals...200 grams protein...75 g fat....etc.... Tell us what you are going to eat everyday to meet those targets.
    Now THAT'S the response I like as well

Yeah, I don't know why it was bugging me. I am a very stubborn individual when it comes to accomplishing tasks/goals. I think because I saw the lack of drop in the past week and a half I thought I was screwing up some how. 15lbs would be awesome by end of April. I don't know why I always set my goals really really high. I think it comes from, once again, my competitive streak and growing up the youngest in my family and always being pushed to go for bigger and bigger goals. I'm this way with my cars when it comes to building them. I've got a goal for my Mustang I began to re-work this Winter to be completed by the end of April as well. But I am not a car that I can buy parts for and change out pieces on in a matter of a few hours. lmao.

For diet, what do you recommend for protein that is easily obtainable and quick to eat? I've been using deli meat (smoked turkey breast) and raw nuts (pecans/walnuts) since I can simply remove them from my work fridge and eat. I'll also wrap the turkey meat around some aged cheddar or some healthy string cheese once in a while and eat it that way. I do feel as though I should be including more protein in my diet. I've also never counted fats. How do I tell what are the best sources of fat? Anything on here I should read for food recommendations in this regard? I've been trying to keep my carb intake around 30 grams or less, and of those carbs get as much fiber as possible out of that 30.

What I've been trying to eat has been eggs, chicken, turkey, beef, pork for meat. For snacks it's been either almonds, walnuts, or cheese. For veggies it's just been salads with lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, green pepper... And that's really all I have been eating. I haven't had soda in WEEKS and am proud of myself for that. In fact, I have given up caffeine completely. Although I have read some people recommend a small amount of caffeine before working out for an extra "boost" at the gym, but am unsure if that is an opinion that holds any water?

Thanks again guys. I'm looking to change my life for good, not temporary.

you need to begin by outlining a better diet plan.... 2000-2200 cals...200 grams protein...75 g fat....etc.... Tell us what you are going to eat everyday to meet those targets.
    Right now nothing else matters.... Make some menus. Go to a website like Fitday.com and build some menus and modify them until your calorie, protein and fat requirements are met. Share those with us.

Don't get distracted with anything else right now. DIET is your key to success.

blueberries, strawberries, apples
    eggs, egg whites
    greek yogurt...chobani is good
    turkey, chicken, tuna, beef
    whole grain bread
    steak, salmon, halibut, crab, shrimp, chicken, lean hamburger
    any dark green veggie...asparagus, broccoli, spinach, etc..

WHAT you eat isn't critical...meeting your calorie and macro goals is.

When you eat doesn't matter. One meal a day or ten..doesn't matter.

Now do it for yourself!
    Last edited by ejthomp; 03-15-2012 at 08:51 AM.

v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50) v4micajr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    WHAT you eat isn't critical...meeting your calorie and macro goals is.

When you eat doesn't matter. One meal a day or ten..doesn't matter.

No do it for yourself!
    Dude, I love reading your posts. just sayin... OP, this guy knows whats up
    ~Yesterday you said tomorrow~

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. "

May 23, 2011- 273lbs.... havent looked back

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Re: your routine, read up on the advantages of heavy compound movements over isolation movements, you are currently wasting a lot of time in the gym with that routine.

Quick: Barbells are king and you should try your damndest to figure out how to utilize them but even with Dumbells and Kettlebells you can get a better workout than what you're currently doing.

How heavy do the DB's and KB's go up?

Originally Posted by LighthorseLee View Post
    Quick: Barbells are king and you should try your damndest to figure out how to utilize them but even with Dumbells and Kettlebells you can get a better workout than what you're currently doing.

How heavy do the DB's and KB's go up?
    Dumbbells go from like 3lbs to 100lbs. A pair of each weight.

The kettlebells go from I believe 5lbs to ......45lbs I believe..... I've added Kettlebell swings to my routine lately. I do feel it working my entire upper body.

I would try something like this:
    1. Kettlebell Front Squat-5x5
    2. Kettle Bell Clean and Press-5x5
    3. DB Row- 3x10
    4. DB Bench Press-3x10
    5. Kettlebell Swing- 5x10
    6. Pullups- 3x5-10