BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Newbie confused about deadlifting!

Hi Everyone

Recently I have become quite interested in deadlifting, not professionally, just an extra something once a week to mix up my routine. Anyway a friend of mine and a trainer have both mentioned that because I am tall and have quite "long arms", my body is not really built for deadlifting, and would be harder for me. That people who are shorter and stocky are better at heavy lifting because they are more "compact" and don't have long, lean limbs that flail around.

As much as I do sort of agree with this, at the same time I feel sort of upset that my body is isn't "built" for deadlifting And this has made me reconsider whether I should deadlift at all! It was basically just for strength, not for competing anyway, but I feel like there isnt really anything for me to achieve except in cardio. The trainer said I am "built" for running and swimming, etc. But I don't like those sports!

Is there any of you who are tall and lean that deadlift? And How do you manage to do it? Or is it something only suited to short, "stocky" people???

Please help!

futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futurefitmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's bull. Anyone can benefit from exercise such as deadlift, squats, etc since they work all major muscles. In fact of you're looking to increase muscle and strength it would be stupid of you not to incorporate them into your training

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're certainly taller than me, but 5'10" is not so tall it's going to ruin your DL form, you'll be fine. I say go for it! I often wish I had longer arms so I didn't have to get so low on DL to keep good form, or to simply reach the bar, lol. With things like squat, bench, and DL you'll have a little further to move the bar than someone who's shorter so your lifts may not be as heavy right away, but you should be able to do all those lifts no problem.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everyone should deadlift, just like everyone should be squatting. They are two of the most beneficial movements you can do for total body stimulation, not to mention the nervous system.

It really has less to do with "being tall" and more about your overall proportions. If you have really long arms, and a long torso, your butt will tend to shoot up in the air before your remove all the "slack" from your arms and actually begin to move the weight. This puts more strain on your back and removes a lot of the emphasis from your legs - no good. I suggest you play around with the width of your stance and grip to find where you feel most comfortable.

You want your butt low, your chest and head up and your shoulders back. Start the lift by driving with your feet while actually pulling "back" away from the bar (don't do this with real light weight as you may actually go backwards!). Like all things, practice makes perfect. Just keep the weigh manageable until you feel you've found your stance and your slowly increase the weight as your form allows it. If your back starts rounding while pulling, the weight is too heavy (unless of course you are maxing out).

BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlondiNess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you everyone!

This has really helped me and boosted my confidence again! I really enjoy doing DL and squats, etc. I don't want to be limited by someone else's opinion (when it isn't right!)

Many many thanks!

Caffeine Addict NightShiftMedic's Avatar
    NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightShiftMedic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should definitely deadlift!! Of course, I'm biased because it's my favorite exercise, but everyone ITT is right, it's a really important lift. Your proportions will probably mean that your set up will look different than other people's while still being correct.

Good luck and happy deadlifting!