Registered User FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat loss help for extremely obese

Hey all,

This thread is for a friend of mine...my best friend, actually who I've known for the last 12 years and who has always been extremely overweight (just turned 28 last week and I estimate around 380-400lbs and is 6'2-6'3...he hasn't weighed in a while, but I know he's in that range.). I have always been fit and worked out during the time we've known each other but he has never had any desire to want to seriously diet or hit the gym with me, even though my brother and I have tried numerous times. He finally came to me after his birthday and said that he was unsatisfied with life and needed to change before he killed himself.

That was all I needed to hear and I told him I'd help him out anyway he needed in formatting a diet, counting calories, exercising, etc...

I have a good understanding of nutrition and weightlifting/exercise void of as much bro-science as possible

I had him download the myfitnesspal app because I personally find it to be very helpful and convenient for tracking cals.

His calories are set to 2750 and I told him not to worry about macros right now, not that he'd even know what macros are at this point, lol. Just meeting the calories is going to result in weight loss for now and a change for the better in lifestyle. The only thing I told him to do was meet 175g protein a day to help with satiety and insure that his calories aren't all coming from fat and carbs. Once he consistently loses for ~6 months we'll start worrying more about tracking macros more closely. I don't want any strict diet to scare him off, so I made sure that he understood he could literally eat anything he wanted as long as he met those two conditions (max calories and min protein).

The only supplement he'll be taking is a good multi to meet his micro needs (will be using Orange Triad)

Exercise will be modest at first with 15 min cardio warmup and 45 minutes of moderate weight training focusing mainly on compound movements. He'll do that twice a week with me as his schedule allows and I'll be having him go an additional 2 times a week for 30 minutes of cardio.

Any suggestions to this plan as we have it so far?

Trying to help my friend change his life and I'll take any serious suggestions.

WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WideGrip90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink

looks like a good plan, tell your "friend" good luck

activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

That link is really all you need. I dont' suggest paying no attention to macro's. If he is serious about changing his life then he should learn about proper nutrition as soon as possible.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post

Any suggestions to this plan as we have it so far?
    If he is serious... He needs to be making those choices for himself and he needs to be making that post.

Bottom line, I can appreciate your desire to help, but your friend has to do this himself, for himself.

Get his butt in here.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    If he is serious... He needs to be making those choices for himself and he needs to be making that post.

Bottom line, I can appreciate your desire to help, but your friend has to do this himself, for himself.

Get his butt in here.
    You are right he needs to make choices for himself. However, some people really don't even know where to start and he did ask the OP to help, so that's agood sign.

OP: You're plan looks perfect, you may want to work bodyweight only or bar only on some lifts to begin with. If you kill him in the gym first day out and he's so sore he can't walk he' not likely going to want to do it again.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FloydSummerOf68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post

Get his butt in here.
    Forums aren't for everyone and he did make the choice to reach out to me for help. As far as he is concerned, I'm his forum of nutritional/exercise information. This isn't something anyone is forcing on him. I stopped attempting to pull him into the gym years ago and knew that at some point he'd want help.

I could probably count on one hand the number of minutes he spends online in a week. As long as he is accountable to someone, me and my brother, it should make it much easier for him to stick to his plan for change.

I do plan on printing off many of the nutritional stickies for him to keep as reference.

Originally Posted by MCrow View Post
    You are right he needs to make choices for himself. However, some people really don't even know where to start and he did ask the OP to help, so that's agood sign.

OP: You're plan looks perfect, you may want to work bodyweight only or bar only on some lifts to begin with. If you kill him in the gym first day out and he's so sore he can't walk he' not likely going to want to do it again.
    Just going through the motions with the bar is all I plan on doing first time out with him so he can concentrate on the proper movement and not the weight.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post
    Just going through the motions with the bar is all I plan on doing first time out with him so he can concentrate on the proper movement and not the weight.
    Good plan. People that have been inactive for so long get mega ****ing doms from weight lifting. I remember when I first started working out and I did squats with 135x8x3 and I couldn't hardly walk two days later. lol.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****