justunbearable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Post Gastric Bypass Surgery

Hey, I'm a 37 year old man who had gastric bypass surgery almost five years ago now. I lost over 260lbs, and gained a new life in the process. altho, I workout four times a week, I cant seem to gain any mass. i weight 247lbs and I'm 6'2" tall. I would like to put on about 20-30 pounds of mass on me. the thing is so many of theses protein drinks and muscle builder have SO many sugars and fats that is seem to conflict with my surgery. I would really like to find a muscle builder or mass builder that was made for the post gastric bypass patients

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by justunbearable View Post
    Hey, I'm a 37 year old man who had gastric bypass surgery almost five years ago now. I lost over 260lbs, and gained a new life in the process. altho, I workout four times a week, I cant seem to gain any mass. i weight 247lbs and I'm 6'2" tall. I would like to put on about 20-30 pounds of mass on me. the thing is so many of theses protein drinks and muscle builder have SO many sugars and fats that is seem to conflict with my surgery. I would really like to find a muscle builder or mass builder that was made for the post gastric bypass patients
    About the bolded, what conflicts with bypass surgery? What is different with you now vs. before other then weight?
    I'm a sad little man

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    tons of low sugar protein options available

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    how much can you take in at a time (per feeding)?

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    - chicken

- beef

- fish

- pork
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    I don't understand. Are you suggesting food as a source of protein and other important nutrients?
    Its a message board, you'll get all kinds of ridiculous suggestions here!
    I'm a sad little man

DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats on the weight loss. 260lbs is an unreal number to lose. Crazy unreal.

I'll bet you really did gain a new life.

My sister also had gastric bypass done a few years back. As I understand it, she was advised to eat proteins in very small portions, but more often, where a normal person may mix a 2 scoop shake and chugg it down, she'll have 1/2 scoop at a time or 1/2 bar. Small doses that her redesigned digestive system can break down.

Good luck.

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I think its gold standard we use in this house...husband had the surgery 7 years ago now..are you eating your protein and drinking shakes? how often? it will be harder for you to get in the protein you need because your digestive system flushes it thru faster..he drinks 40 grams (2 scoops) in the morning, eats three meals and drinks one pre and post workout. If he feels like he needs another one then he will have one before bed too.
    Are you also keeping an eye on your iron levels? easier to become anemic too with this surgery.
    he said he double scoops all this shakes and mixes them with skim milk.
    Last edited by latebloomingmom; 03-12-2012 at 05:34 PM.

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, I was gonna say it is probably hard to get enough food in you now to be able to put that much lean mass on. Try poking around the weight loss forums, maybe someone there has more insight.

And congrats, I know it wasn't an easy thing. I'm a lard warrior myself... considered the surgery but they said I wasn't really fat enough. I should have taken that as a challenge.. just kidding. LOL. I topped out at 356, so I was a condender.

Good luck and keep up the fight!
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o

justinlevi77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the roun y done in oct of this year i wa 380 lbs now 167lbs i ran into thi same problem .. through trieal and error and talking to others i have found this to be true.. you can build all the mass you want you just have to do it differently than the average joe.... first thing forget about the protein shakes lol.. you dont retain much of the protein anyway because its a liquid and if you insist do a pudding consistancy so you keep more of the protein.. but eggs are your friend especially hard boiled .. its like this the more complex the protein is meaning the harder it is to digest the more protein you will keep so i eat alot of eggs, jerky,nuts, beans and tuna is very important too it has a added muscle building protein.. other things like quinoa, cous cous, edamame, are also very helpfull.. but protein is for building after a workout.. before you need good healthy bunch of carbs for energy .. carbs = fuel.. protein= building and repair.. oh and really fish of any kind seafood too for protein .. i also reccomend eating bannanas to keep you from cramping up and muscle popping.. and i have found it best for me to do combo workout of cutting and mass buildng.. and i cant stress how important it is to take your daily bariatric vitamin.. and if you dont have one i suggest ProCare Health bariatric chewable one a day .. its got everything you need and its only 10 bucks for a months supply... but i can say that i have been able to build alot of mass in a short period of time by doing this.. i needed it in place of plastic surgery .. it will take you longer but you can get there .. oh also shock body building is important so if you do cardio first then weights then the next time switch your routine and so forth you will gain more mass faster that way.. hope this helps you .. no one could help me i had to figure this out th hard way lol so im glad to help out someone else

iJase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    May not be what your looking for, but i know you can't do sugars too well, how about something like a sugar free BCAA chewable? There is some on this site, I can't link them cause my post count is under 50

smitasharma54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smitasharma54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smitasharma54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I made it to 175! It's been almost 2 years since my surgery. I haven't had any complications at all with my surgery! My health has been very good, and I've lost the weight nice and slow, so my body doesn't look that much out of shape
    Allure medspa