GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Is my homemade post-workout shake too much for my body to absorb in one sitting?

Hey guys. Just started a bulk and came up with my own homemade protein shake concoction for my post-workout nutrition. Tastes fantastic.

More to the point I'm not sure if I'm consuming too much at once (because supposedly the body can only absorb so much nutrition at once). Can anybody help point me in the right direction?

My post workout shake looks like this

2 Scoops of ON Gold Standard Whey
    1 Cup Skim Milk
    1/2 Cup Ezekiel Cereal
    1 Banana
    2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter

So if my math isn't as bad as it usually is that comes down to about

Calories: 809
    Protein: 78g
    Carbs: 102g

I'm already looking at this and thinking that 78gs of protein in one sitting even if its post workout is pushing it. I don't think my body could possibly utilize it all right?
    "Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."-Bruce Lee

*Cancer+Tumor Survivor Crew*

LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No, drink it.

GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GoldenArmKid is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LSXdr View Post
    No, drink it.
    Really? I heard that the body typically utilizes about 50 grams of protein a sitting. The rest is potentially shat out during your next visit to the bathroom. Broscience I guess.
    "Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."-Bruce Lee

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GoldenArmKid View Post
    Really? I heard that the body typically utilizes about 50 grams of protein a sitting. The rest is potentially shat out during your next visit to the bathroom. Broscience I guess.
    Yep.

Originally Posted by Kahldris View Post
    Yep.
    Glad you guys cleared that up for me. Now that we're on the subject though how does the whole absorption process work? Is there a limit to how much your body can soak up/absorb in one sitting?

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That would be 100% pure bro science!

And thank goodness it is, because when I eat that large ribeye, I would hate to know I just paid a large amount of money for a wonderful piece of meat that I am going to discard in the commode later! See the craziness!! The body will absorb 95%+ of the amino acids we ingest, and some whole proteins but that's another subject. Don't fall for the magazine science, it's designed to sell you supplements!!

Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kai12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    From my limited knowledge, a medium meal will still be processed for 24+ hours. A huge steak with veg and potatoes and it will be streaming in amino acids for 48+ hours.

Now, me just guessing, unless you fast for days your kinda stacking up on how much amino acid is being streamed into your system. Your body is brilliant at making the most of what you give it.

I see. Well I guess that covers everything I wanted to know. Thanks guys.

And btw I highly freakin suggest this recipe. Typical homemade shake at first glance, but adding that Ezekiel cereal....Jesus....you get all this crunchy goodness at the bottom..........

Obviously my favorite meal of the day is post-workout lol

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm already looking at this and thinking that 78gs of protein in one sitting even if its post workout is pushing it. I don't think my body could possibly utilize it all right?

From Alan Aragon:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/

Based on the available evidence, it’s false to assume that the body can only use a certain amount of protein per meal. Studies examining short-term effects have provided hints towards what might be an optimal protein dose for maximizing anabolism, but trials drawn out over longer periods haven’t supported this idea. So, is there a limit to how much protein per meal can be effectively used? Yes there is, but this limit is likely similar to the amount that’s maximally effective in an entire day. What’s the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g. The long answer is, it depends on several factors. In most cases it’s not too far from a gram per pound in drug-free trainees, given that adequate total calories are provided [8,9].

In sum, view all information – especially gym folklore and short-term research – with caution. Don’t buy into the myth that protein won’t get used efficiently unless it’s dosed sparingly throughout the day. Hopefully, future research will definitively answer how different dosing schemes with various protein types affect relevant endpoints such as size and strength. In the mean time, feel free to eat the whole steak and drink the whole shake.
    -Alan Aragon
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733